Emmitt, good info, good insight.

Kate, If you've gotten this far:

Originally Posted by Mike Dunbar

Those are the do chord, the re chord, the mi chord and so on. When you get good playing them, try singing do re mi with them...do with the do chord (Cmajor), re with the re chord (Dminor) and etc.

Read on, if not, don't read this until you have smile

OK, now I want you to play those chords and sing a scale based on that chord's root. In other words play Cmajor and sing C D E F G A B C, Play Dminor and sing D E F G A B C D, Play Eminor and sing E F G A B C D E, Fmajor and sing F G A B C D E F, G major and sing G A B C D E F G, Aminor and sing A B C D E F G A, then G7 and sing B C D E F G A B.

That gives you a feeling for how the chords in a key relate to the modes of the key. A mode is what form or model of the scale is created when you start and finish on a different note in the scale. Do to do is the major scale. La to la is the minor scale. Well, there are names for each mode, but they are Greek to me smile
I'll go into the names later but for now, get used to:

Do to do, re to re, mi to mi, fa to fa, sol to sol, la to la, and ti to ti. Again, sing those along with the harmonized scale (do major chord, re minor chord, mi minor chord, fa major chord, sol major chord, la minor chord, ti diminished chord and do major chord) Now, pretty soon we'll figure out that diminished chord and just why I have you play the sol7 (G7) instead right now.

Do this and we'll continue. Eventually you'll have a pretty good feel for how notes and chords relate.

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music