JPF Home Page
has released her first non country single.
This is totally pop. Also Max Martin who is a Swedish pop god has co penned a few songs with her on her new album.

He's co wrote or produced most of Backstreet Boys, Nsync' Britney Spears biggest hits. Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Pink, Avril Lavigne, Ke$ha, Usher, Tao Cruz among others and now Taylor Swift

This new Taylor Swift single might just have what it takes to knock out Carly Rae Jepsen's domination at the billboard hot 100 and replace that catchy song with hers in all of our heads.
It is seriously very catchy

This is the right move for Taylor. She will reach a wider audience around the world this way. Proud of her ( even though she sounds a bit like Avril Lavigne when she says EVER EVER EVER)

Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/14/12 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good pop song to me -- maybe not as catchy as Carly Rae's song, but not too bad.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/14/12 09:01 PM
Yeah, it'll be close. I just looked at my (Canadian iTunes chart) and the song is already #1 having just having been released only 12 hours a go. Pretty impressive for this country considering her singles don't normally go past 10 on our iTunes chart.

I've listened to it 5 times already and I can't believe how much this reminds me of Avril Lavigne.
Posted By: Caroline Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/14/12 09:16 PM
Oh, thank God! I thought you had some news referring to her Kennedy connection. LOL

Who didn't think she would go pop???Raise your hands! She's young, she's got a following that goes either way, so why not. It's not a bad move to sell more records. These days, we let pop stars in country so why not?
Posted By: Samuel Harris Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 12:13 AM
"Jumped the shark" refers to an artist or work that is so lacking in creativity and content that it is laughable. I don't think you meant to say TS is that. The phase was coined after a few Happy Days episodes were shot that were so bad it was clear the producers needed to fold the show. One show featured Fonzie water skiing and literally jumping a shark. The episode was so awful it became the epitome of a show with no more creative momentum.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 12:48 AM
Woops. Yes I did use it wrong. Thanks
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Samuel Harris
"Jumped the shark" refers to an artist or work that is so lacking in creativity and content that it is laughable. I don't think you meant to say TS is that. The phase was coined after a few Happy Days episodes were shot that were so bad it was clear the producers needed to fold the show. One show featured Fonzie water skiing and literally jumping a shark. The episode was so awful it became the epitome of a show with no more creative momentum.

Ironically, that is what it was supposed to mean, but the show got the highest ratings ever for that, and the show stayed popular after that.

Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by December Rock Star
Originally Posted by Samuel Harris

Ironically, that is what it was supposed to mean, but the show got the highest ratings ever for that, and the show stayed popular after that.

i think it really means selling out, doing whatever it takes to sell the product, like a wardrobe malfunction...
Posted By: KimberlyinNC Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:03 AM
I am not one for saying an artist "sells" out because who made the "rule" that a singer/songwriter or artist, is committed to only sing in one style or one genre?

If Taylor can (and believe me she can) write pop and country and sell them as well as bring country listeners to pop and vise versa, I say go for it girl!!! I dig her work. I know some do not, but I think some people are also a bit set in their ways and only feel music made in the 60's or sounds like their favorite artist or genre, is worth listening to. I say, let us give all music a chance...good is good. I think she is good. ~~

I am not sure who set the rule a writer can only write one kind...and why its considered selling out to do anything different...

Kimberly

Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by KimberlyinNC
I am not one for saying an artist "sells" out because who made the "rule" that a singer/songwriter or artist, is committed to only sing in one style or one genre?

If Taylor can (and believe me she can) write pop and country and sell them as well as bring country listeners to pop and vise versa, I say go for it girl!!! I dig her work. I know some do not, but I think some people are also a bit set in their ways and only feel music made in the 60's or sounds like their favorite artist or genre, is worth listening to. I say, let us give all music a chance...good is good. I think she is good. ~~

I am not sure who set the rule a writer can only write one kind...and why its considered selling out to do anything different...

Kimberly

I was saying what jumping the shark meant, not what Taylor Swift was doing. I dont think she ever REALLY did country anyway.

I have nothing against her, Aaron called it jumping the shark.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:13 AM
Apparently there is a backlash with callers calling country stations and complaining that this is not a country song and that they do not want to hear it
I guess we'll see what happens

I agree as well that artists are supposed to switch it up now and then
they have to evolve
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:16 AM
your interpretation of the phrase was not what I intended

I don't believe that musicians can sell out
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by AaronAuthier
your interpretation of the phrase was not what I intended

I don't believe that musicians can sell out

You started the thread, u didnt even know what jumping the shark meant, and u tell me about my interpretation? lol

Sure musicians sell out all the time. Usually when a great musician or respected artist tries to make a pop record to make money, they get a snub by others who dont.

When an artist gives his song to a commercial, some call that selling out.

If you need the money thats one thing, if you have 10 million and want 20 million, then you will get questioned.

Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:30 AM
No, they don't sell out. And by the way, why wouldn't musicians want to get paid?
Why can't they experiment and try new things?

The only people that will hate them doing that are music snobs
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:32 AM
No, they don't sell out. And by the way, why wouldn't musicians want to get paid?
Why can't they experiment and try new things?

The only people that will hate them doing that are music snobs

they often do experiment, usually with things not many fans are interested in, but they do cause that is what they want to do.

I dont know im not in the position to turn down any offer. Pete Seeger claims Bob Dylan sold out.

One thing for sure Pete Seeger never did.

Some admire that, others call it foolish.

I dont have a real judgement about it.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:39 AM
People will like your music or they won't. The ones who don't, don't matter.
Plus its their career. Who are we to tell them they are making a mistake.
They have chosen a path. The people who want to join with them will and the people who don't, won't.

That's basically it
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:40 AM
People will like your music or they won't. The ones who don't, don't matter.
Plus its their career. Who are we to tell them they are making a mistake.
They have chosen a path. The people who want to join with them will and the people who don't, won't.

That's basically it

one persons opinion. As I clearly stated, I dont have a judgement about it.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:43 AM
I'm a big Our Lady Peace fan. Have seen them 5 times. Their first 3 albums were magic. Their 4th was good too.. but their sound changed dramatically after that. Haven't bought any of their new cds after that. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:49 AM
I'm a big Our Lady Peace fan. Have seen them 5 times. Their first 3 albums were magic. Their 4th was good too.. but their sound changed dramatically after that. Haven't bought any of their new cds after that. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

after springsteen sold 20 mil copies with born in the usa, he went folkie and made three folks albums, his hard core fans were like huh?

He did the opposite he walked out of the spotlight.

Most artists do "sell out" at some point. the more money u make the more u want.

Instead of making half a million a night i want to make a million a night.

But connecting with an audience has nothing to do with money. Some artists forget that.

Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:55 AM
I think all artists just want to make music that people will like.
I doubt very much that after they write a song, they'll say, this song will make me five million dollars this year.
Posted By: KimberlyinNC Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 06:06 AM

Kimberly

I was saying what jumping the shark meant, not what Taylor Swift was doing. I dont think she ever REALLY did country anyway.

I have nothing against her, Aaron called it jumping the shark.

This was not directed to you DRS it was a comment about artist jumping ship, or moving away from their country roots, whatever one wants to call it, I was only saying, I see nothing wrong with broadening ones horizons, if it works..if their fans hate it they will find out soon enough, if they dig it then why not...that is all I am saying. Music evolves with time, so should the writers...jmho

smile
Kim

and there's no need to fuss over semantics...I think what the question is or the concern is , will the fans like it and does she have the right, and I say yes, she does..
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 06:08 AM
I think all artists just want to make music that people will like.
I doubt very much that after they write a song, they'll say, this song will make me five million dollars this year.

Well that would depend, if you play avante gard jazz for a living, and decide to write a pop song because your agent said it was a way to make money, hes not doing it to make great art. he might get alot of new fans but the old ones wont think much of him. He might make a whole new set of fans though.

It's kind of like a athlete who goes to another team, a rival team than the one they are currently on, for a few million more a year, guess wh'ws getting booed when he comes back to his former stadium again?

the average music fan doesnt know the difference, only the hard core fans who understand the artists music
Posted By: KimberlyinNC Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 06:14 AM
DRS...being a fan of or playing for a team or choosing to believe in something is fine, but it is different than music. Music is not something where you have to pick sides, is it?

and Taylor has always been a crossover...

I hope its not a rule to pick sides..or I am a traitor..cause I like FloRidA...I like Taylor, I like Adele, I like Josh Groban, I dig Springstein, but can also appreciate LMFAO...so, music is different..and its okay to love all kinds of genres... wink

Kim
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 06:55 AM
DRS...being a fan of or playing for a team or choosing to believe in something is fine, but it is different than music. Music is not something where you have to pick sides, is it?

and Taylor has always been a crossover...

I hope its not a rule to pick sides..or I am a traitor..cause I like FloRidA...I like Taylor, I like Adele, I like Josh Groban, I dig Springstein, but can also appreciate LMFAO...so, music is different..and its okay to love all kinds of genres... wink

Kim

Not necessarily, but some fans feel that way. They feel, hey you were nothing before we started following you and buying record, we made you what you are, now you want to do some pop?

I dont think it will matter much with taylor swift, because she is not country anyway. And nobody expects humanistic music out of her, they expect catchy pop tunes, that wont change.

Theres more than one way of looking at it. The fans who made you, made you for what you were, they feel they have a say, if they dont feel that way, than why should they be fans?
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:05 AM
I'm not a big Taylor fan. I believe she's a crazy girl who dates the wrong guys on purpose just so she has material to write sad love songs. But she has songs which go deeper into the human psyche. Fifteen I believe is her best written, deep, song.

Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:09 AM
I'm not a big Taylor fan. I believe she's a crazy girl who dates the wrong guys on purpose just so she has material to write sad love songs. But she has songs which go deeper into the human psyche. Fifteen I believe is her best written, deep, song.

My niece loves her. So much so she wants to get a guitar, and muah is going to teach her. She even looks like Taylor Swift, its going to be a hoot when it happens.

She appeals to girls that age, shes doing something right.

Posted By: KimberlyinNC Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:12 AM
Yes, DRS the fans will have their say as far as record sales, but still they have no right to dictate what an artist wants to write...nor has the right to write.
if that was the case then all songs by the Commodores would have been like Brick House because it sold so many records, but Lionel Richie hated the song... and thank God did other songs with different sounds...
and as for "humanistic" songs by Taylor Swift...two off the top of my head that I feel are very much humanistic are

Back to December..the words are very real and not pop at all, and who is to say a pop song does not or can not speak of the human condition?

http://youtu.be/QUwxKWT6m7U

Teardrops on my guitar is another one
http://youtu.be/xKCek6_dB0M

Just because some music has a beat to it or is in a certain genre' it doesn't make it fit into a cookie cutter upbeat and none feeling bubblegum pop...there are loads of pop songs that can bring a chill to me...and make me feel..but that's me and Springsteen does it for you, and that's ok... wink

by the way speaking of Bruce have you heard the new country song Springsteen? I like it!!
not sure if you do or would but I dig it..listen to the whole song...the whoa, whoa..is just too catchy, or it is to me... smile

http://youtu.be/l2gGXlW6wSY

Peace~

Kimberly
Posted By: KimberlyinNC Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:16 AM

OH come on Aaron...does George Jones drink just so he can write about drinking??? Did Alan Jackson have to ride a motor boat on the Chatahoochie to know how to write about it??? that is poetic license. I do not for a minute believe Taylor would pick bad men to break her heart just to write a song...it happens, yes she writes about her life sometimes, but I do not believe she purposely picks bad guys for song material... laugh

Kim
Nashville is also all aflutter cause Taylor bought a big house in Cape Cod to be near her latest dude-RFK's son Conor..

Its right across from Ethel's house...

Is she gonna donate money to the Democrats and secretly vote for Obama-HEAVENS TO BETSY!

Is nothing sacred?

This is all so funny....Reminds me of when Shania Twain was asked by a reporter why she moved to a castle in Switzerland....

She said she needed room for her horses.

I dont care if Taylor moves to Vegas and marries Lady Gaga.

Its her life and her music..

rock on honey

Tom
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:21 AM
Yes, DRS the fans will have their say as far as record sales, but still they have no right to dictate what an artist wants to write...nor has the right to write.
if that was the case then all songs by the Commodores would have been like Brick House because it sold so many records, but Lionel Richie hated the song... and thank God did other songs with different sounds...
and as for "humanistic" songs by Taylor Swift...two off the top of my head that I feel are very much humanistic are

Back to December..the words are very real and not pop at all, and who is to say a pop song does not or can not speak of the human condition?

http://youtu.be/QUwxKWT6m7U

Teardrops on my guitar is another one
http://youtu.be/xKCek6_dB0M

Just because some music has a beat to it or is in a certain genre' it doesn't make it fit into a cookie cutter upbeat and none feeling bubblegum pop...there are loads of pop songs that can bring a chill to me...and make me feel..but that's me and Springsteen does it for you, and that's ok... wink

by the way speaking of Bruce have you heard the new country song Springsteen? I like it!!
not sure if you do or would but I dig it..listen to the whole song...the whoa, whoa..is just too catchy, or it is to me... smile

http://youtu.be/l2gGXlW6wSY

Peace~

Kimberly

I heard it. I like it, I was more impressed that somebody of that background would pick springsteen to write about, he has touched so many people over the years.

But I think if springsteen wanted to, he could be a better country artist than church lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Un8rGflM0

he did a nice duet with rposeann cash too, she was blown away by his knowledge of country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHoHbX_3no
Originally Posted by WriterTomYeager
Nashville is also all aflutter cause Taylor bought a big house in Cape Cod to be near her latest dude-RFK's son Conor..

Its right across from Ethel's house...

Is she gonna donate money to the Democrats and secretly vote for Obama-HEAVENS TO BETSY!

Is nothing sacred?

This is all so funny....Reminds me of when Shania Twain was asked by a reporter why she moved to a castle in Switzerland....

She said she needed room for her horses.

I dont care if Taylor moves to Vegas and marries Lady Gaga.

Its her life and her music..

rock on honey

Tom

I wish this site had a LIKE button like Facebook has... wink
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:35 AM
She's dated at least 15 different celeb men in 3 years (some over 30 years old) writes break up songs about them after. How many real happy songs does she have? One-three per cd on avg eh?

I say stay away from that one to any guy or else she'll claim you broke her wittle heart and how dare you blah blah blah

" I bought a mansion next to a cute kennedy and all I got in the end was this whiny song"
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:39 AM
She's dated at least 15 different celeb men in 3 years (some over 30 years old) writes break up songs about them after. How many real happy songs does she have? One-three per cd on avg eh?

I say stay away from that one to any guy or else she'll claim you broke her wittle heart and how dare you blah blah blah

I think there's some truth in that. I bet it's a device management has used.

Then again, the guys who she disses get publicity too.

I dont like a woman who kisses and tells though, if u want to use it for material go head, but dont say who its about, at least until 20 years later when she finally comes clean on some morning show.

I mean what am I going to write about, the mole on one girls breast? and then name the mole and her LOLLLL
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:42 AM
she leaves clues in her songs as to who shes singing about
then her fans figure it out and send nasty mail to that person
People claim she's a nice girl but nice girls do not do that
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:45 AM
she leaves clues in her songs as to who shes singing about
then her fans figure it out and send nasty mail to that person
People claim she's a nice girl but nice girls do not do that

Yeah wasnt she a virgin a short time ago?

I dont know, i'd say it's a gag that everybody is in on. \

Though I dont know why John Mayer plays with the media so much, hes a good artist without it, he doesnt need it.

Hes not the most exciting performer in the world but he has talent.

I dont get these bozos.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:47 AM
Its hilarious how Taylor thought she would date John Mayer whos like 12 + years older and a total DOG (everyone knows the man can't be leashed)
he cheated on her so she lashed out at him in a song called Dear John
whining about him breakimg her heart and how dare him cause shes so young
shes written many songs about him.. he was a gold mine for her

sorry taylor, i don't feel sorry for you
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:49 AM
Its hilarious how Taylor thought she would date John Mayer whos like 12 + years older and a total DOG (everyone knows the man can't be leashed)
he cheated on her so she lashed out at him in a song called Dear John
whining about him breakimg her heart and how dare him cause shes so young
shes written many songs about him.. he was a gold mine for her

sorry taylor, i don't feel sorry for you

Thats entertainment in todays world. It's like facebook through song.

We live in a TMZ world. frankly I dont care who she does. If she wants to do me, I guess i'd oblige, but only if I can sing harmony on my diss song.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:51 AM
She's written that I know of songs about 5 different guys where she claimed she "loved" them. I don't think the girl knows what love feels like but I caught on to her act a year a go. It could be the record label telling her what to do. It seems very disingenuous though on her part manipulating her fans like that
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 07:55 AM
The TMZ world is awful.

Kanye West wrote a song about his new faux gf Kim Kardashian called "Perfect Bitch". Apparently its the most sweetest thing a guys ever called her.
I know I'm not the only one who thinks that is wack.
Posted By: Paul H. Gaines Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 08:01 AM
wonder if she would be up to getting her feelings hurt by a 50 year old, hell I'll even cowrite the break-up song !!

Cheers
Paul
Posted By: December X Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 08:01 AM
She's written that I know of songs about 5 different guys where she claimed she "loved" them. I don't think the girl knows what love feels like but I caught on to her act a year a go. It could be the record label telling her what to do. It seems very disingenuous though on her part manipulating her fans like that

Often marketing angles start of as legitimate things, then get exploited when they realize people enjoy that.

Take for example Lou Pinellas tirades on the field

When he came to the Yankees to manage, Steinbrenner wanted him to put on shows like this, fans loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGsMHWOuNM&feature=related
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 08:04 AM
You'd have to wait a few months. She's currently dating some Kennedy kid.
😝
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 08:06 AM
Yeah. I understand. They also pay focus groups. It is a very common marketing technique.
Posted By: AaronAuthier Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 08:14 AM
I feel bad for slamming the girl like that but what she's doing couldn't be anymore obvious. Every single guy she dates becomes a song. And if the relationship doesn't work out she will slam him in a song and give her fans hints and codes as to who its about. It is wrong. Very wrong. That's all I will say on the subject of Taylor Swift.
That link was gone and I couldn't find a decent recording of it???

She always had an Avril Lavine vibe, She sounds a whole more like Avril than Loretta Lynn no? smile I noticed that a long time ago. They just produce here differently on the up beat tunes adding dobro's a little pedal steel, a little fiddle etc... to make it sound country.. Modern Country is - 1) Pop and 2) 80's Softer Hard Rock. Ex - Bonjovi/Keith Urban etc...

She's POP and has always been pop. I was just very recently admiring her work as I think she's a talented writer and a positive force in the music industry. Maybe the most positive.

This song lets me DOWN, why? Well it's like this, your already the most POPULAR female music star on the planet along with Gaga and maybe your fans are even more dedicated.

Now for her defense what people need to understand is it's her JOB! If you went to a job at an office wearing jeans and a
T shirt and the boss said "We love you and your look but tomorrow if you wear a tuxedo we'll pay twice as much as we are now"

If you have a family you WEAR the tux tomorrow smile

BUT! she's already RICH!!! besides being popular. She doesn't need the money and she's in no threat of losing her spot. Remember when they talked Jewel into being a diva? beautiful as was Jewel and her folk pop songs. It went to crap!! Bad choice.

Like that other guy from Matchbox Twenty Rob Thomas, trying to be Justin Timberlake for a while.. WHY? Gwen Stephani did the same thing. You were respected and hugely successful, what more do you need to be.
Hey Rob, your band has a number one song a year ago!!! What purpose do you have for going that cheesey route? Your already rich and on the chart?

I feel that If your gonna make change for evens just change sake,
make it a BETTER change. Make your self better and stretch yourself to a challenge. Not the other way.

She's already reached the 10- 16 age bracket, why go for 5 - 9?
STUDY the past!!! Look at the GREAT Joni Mitchell and learn what to do to improve yourself with music... ESPECIALLY if your rich already. Needing FAME is a great excuse to put out this song.
Hey Mike here is a working link

Taylor Swift new song
Yeah I didn't really care for Rob Thomas, Gwen Stefani's solo career

Matchbox 20 are coming out with a new album. I'm excited for that
Thanks,

I like the edited broken acoustic guitar and I LOVE the bass drum sound. The song is not even one that is what I like to call "Annoyingly Catchy" such as ones like "Get Jiggy" or "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga and quite a few others.

Okay It's a complete cheeseball thing, lame as it gets, but ya know I do admire people for just having fun and not taking there life, work or craft so seriously you live longer and healthier that way smile

Thanks for sharing
Mike
Yea, it is a good direction for her. She will continue to do well. I very much admire her.
And by the way, it is a terrific, breezy, funny song that really cuts loose from the country gig. Well done Taylor.
Posted By: Scott Campbell Re: Taylor Swift has jumped the shark - 08/15/12 05:40 PM
Apparently there is a backlash with callers calling country stations and complaining that this is not a country song and that they do not want to hear it
I guess we'll see what happens

My impression is that "jumping the shark" does not refer to selling out but simply to the moment at which artistic decline sets in.

According to Wikipedia:

"The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment in its evolution when a brand, design, or creative effort moves beyond the essential qualities that initially defined its success, beyond relevance or recovery."

According to that definition, those people calling into the stations probably think that she did, indeed, jump the shark. smile

So your initial useage might have been correct - in their eyes anyway.

That said, I think I've only seen one video of hers - didn't really seem country and I thought it was pretty good.

Scott

Taylor Swift is no dummy. I get the sense from her songs, such as "Mean" and this one, that she enjoys what she is doing, writes songs that make her happy and fulfilled, writes for herself, writes about her life, knows and understands what people such as folks here say about her, is sometimes hurt by it but also has the satisfaction that none of those folks...no one other than a very few people in the history of the planet...have accomplished what she has. Her line in this song that brings this to mind is:

"And you, will hide away and find your piece of mind with some indie record that's much cooler than mine"

This is sung dripping with youthful female "put down" coldness. I love it. It reminds me of "You're So Vain." but more conversational and in the vernacular. Good work, Taylor.
Humm,
You mean you can still call Radio Stations and complain?? Well you can probably call and complain and you can also ram your head into a Brick Wall. For the Record there is a ton of stuff being played on Country Radio that doesn't qualify for country, let alone music.

At the moment I am listening to DREAMING and DANCING by Ray Anthony. Sorta Big Band Music.
"And you, will hide away and find your piece of mind with some indie record that's much cooler than mine"

Is apparently one of the clues she put in the lyric for her fans to figure out who it is about.

And apparently in interviews she talked about how actor Jake Gyllenhaal didn't like his relationship to be out in the public which she took as him hiding away. She also mentioned he was big into the indie scene. Her fans on youtube are sure that it's about Gyllenhaal.

Oh, and I found "Mean" to be hypocritical of Taylor

Taylor does to her ex's what she claims the guy in the song did to her except when she does it, it's in song form for the whole world to hear. Some of her ex's didn't even cheat on her yet they bare the full brunt of Taylor Swift's childish angst.

I've seen the "Mean" video a few times on TV. It looks to me like a song about bullying. I don't see any connection to a boy friend or lover relationship. I could be wrong. I love the audio/video production and catchy melody of the song. When those two elements are at play, it makes the listener want to listen to the lyrics. That's what it's all about. She did a fine job.

As Scott said, the term "jumping the shark" can be a matter of opinion. I thought Grand Funk Railroad jumped the shark when they started releasing singles on AM radio. I thought The Doobie Brothers jumped the shark after Michael McDonald joined the band. I thought The Bee Gees jumped the shark when they started recording disco music. I've since learned to appreciate what all of the above did years later and enjoy the changes that they made. You can always hear the old stuff anytime.

Originally Posted by ben willis
I've seen the "Mean" video a few times on TV. It looks to me like a song about bullying. I don't see any connection to a boy friend or lover relationship. I could be wrong. I love the audio/video production and catchy melody of the song. When those two elements are at play, it makes the listener want to listen to the lyrics. That's what it's all about. She did a fine job.

As Scott said, the term "jumping the shark" can be a matter of opinion. I thought Grand Funk Railroad jumped the shark when they started releasing singles on AM radio. I thought The Doobie Brothers jumped the shark after Michael McDonald joined the band. I thought The Bee Gees jumped the shark when they started recording disco music. I've since learned to appreciate what all of the above did years later and enjoy the changes that they made. You can always hear the old stuff anytime.

I think mean was actually about a boyfriend, and not bullying. She said so on a talk show I saw. She said it was funny cause she was bullied, and many people told her they could face going to school again after hearing the song...a good thing,

but it was actually about a boyfriend.

And im embarrased to know so much about taylor swifts song.
Your neice is a big Taylor fan, you're just being a great uncle by taking interest in it. Nothing to be embarrassed about there dude.
She wrote "Mean" about a critic.

Yes Mike, it was about a critic not her boyfriend, I heard her say it myself. wink
But then people started associating it with bullies and how they make them feel....and it became an anthem for that...

Kim

and I find it laughable that a few that seem to dislike Taylor so much "know" everything about her... grin
Taylor is a bully. She's welcome to write songs about breakups but when she reveals who they are about or leaves little clues to her fans as to who she's singing about, that crosses the line into bullying.
Taylor is a bully. She's welcome to write songs about breakups but when she reveals who they are about or leaves little clues to her fans as to who she's singing about, that crosses the line into bullying.

Anybody that writes songs and is well known will be labeled as writing a song about a particular person when a break-up happens...(many times that song was written years earlier and it just came out) unless I hear her say yes I wrote this about this person, then it is something the fans believe and that is rumor only.
The DEAR JOHN song, well, yes, she dated John Mayer, (who is a womanizer) but a DEAR JOHN letter is a goodbye letter too, a double meaning? Could be? She never confirmed or denied it, But I have a feeling he probably did her worse than any song she can write about him, same way with the Jonas guy, breaking up with a text message. We also have to remember when she wrote some of these songs, like the one about Nick Jonas, she was young...what have we done as young ones that we regret?

She takes from lives experiences. I do not believe someone should come out and make a song where everybody knows who it is about but if people are guessing and she has not said, that is not necessarily her fault. I have written many songs where someone didn't get what it was about, when I meant something totally different. One time I got blasted for writing a pro-Obama song, he never once crossed my mind when I wrote the song...but people will read into songs what they want to.

But enough Taylor bashing...she is talented. I am sure if any of us wrote a song she would want to record, none of us would NOT say no...unless we just hate making a living on our songwriting skills..... laugh

peace~~

Kim
Yes Mike, it was about a critic not her boyfriend, I heard her say it myself. wink
But then people started associating it with bullies and how they make them feel....and it became an anthem for that...

Kim

and I find it laughable that a few that seem to dislike Taylor so much "know" everything about her... grin

Well Kim, some people just search for an argument for arguments sake. I'll never understand that. The journalism type critic makes a living being a bully. They are never held accountable for what they say when they are wrong. They constantly put the subject of their criticism on the defensive when they themselves lack an iota of the talent of the person that they are critiquing.

At least we have peers at JPF. I agree with you 100%

Anybody that writes songs and is well known will be labeled as writing a song about a particular person when a break-up happens...(many times that song was written years earlier and it just came out) unless I hear her say yes I wrote this about this person, then it is something the fans believe and that is rumor only.
The DEAR JOHN song, well, yes, she dated John Mayer, (who is a womanizer) but a DEAR JOHN letter is a goodbye letter too, a double meaning? Could be? She never confirmed or denied it, But I have a feeling he probably did her worse than any song she can write about him, same way with the Jonas guy, breaking up with a text message. We also have to remember when she wrote some of these songs, like the one about Nick Jonas, she was young...what have we done as young ones that we regret?

She takes from lives experiences. I do not believe someone should come out and make a song where everybody knows who it is about but if people are guessing and she has not said, that is not necessarily her fault. I have written many songs where someone didn't get what it was about, when I meant something totally different. One time I got blasted for writing a pro-Obama song, he never once crossed my mind when I wrote the song...but people will read into songs what they want to.

But enough Taylor bashing...she is talented. I am sure if any of us wrote a song she would want to record, none of us would NOT say no...unless we just hate making a living on our songwriting skills..... laugh

peace~~

Kim

She does better with negative relatiosonship songs than positive ones.

Kim

Well Kim, some people just search for an argument for arguments sake. I'll never understand that. The journalism type critic makes a living being a bully. They are never held accountable for what they say when they are wrong. They constantly put the subject of their criticism on the defensive when they themselves lack an iota of the talent of the person that they are critiquing.

Kim

Yeah but even some of the most sincere artists ever, have the decency to not out people, known or unknown.

But it seems with swift that is part of the fun for her fans, Finding out who she dated, who shes mad at.

I would never do that to anybody, unless of course she was sincerely mad at John Mayer.

And his former womanizing has nothing to do with this relationship.

it's just womans talk show type of material, many eat it up.

She writes ok songs, good songs fer her audience,and she hasnt done me wrong.

Kim

Thats part of being a celebrity, comes with the teritory. Taylor Swift could care a less what we say about her good or bad.

Critics do have more power to influence, that is their job. They need careers too, most music is going to get blasted by critics, nothing new, and as a celebrity u have to grin and bear it.

Hey its one thing people bashing your music, when they bash your personal life and make up stories and spread rumours thats even worse.

Again, JPF cant do anything about that, u will see denigration on any forum, youtube, facebook anywhere where people write comments.

Im sure it would hurt the celebrity, that is why they learn fast to not read anything.

Taylor isn’t kickin' country to the curb
She’s simply travelin’ down a road and chose to take a swerve
There’s nothin’ etched in stone that said she cannot deviate
Whether pop or country, her fans still think she's great!!!
smile
From what I read Taylor (& maybe her Family?) OWN(s) Big Machine Records, her label...so I doubt ANYONE's telling her What To Put Out Next... With her fan base, it ALL sells..heh!

&..If she loses some older More-Traditional Fans for this Latest Effort...she'll pick up maybe even More of the Younger Listeners...the ones with all that Disposable Income...

I DO get a kick outta her "Revenge" on Ex-Gents...just a wee-reminder that This Gal's Empowered...Handle With Care...

She's Brilliant..Enjoy The Ride!

All JMO, of course!
Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan
Originally Posted by "Tampa Stan" Good
From what I read Taylor (& maybe her Family?) OWN(s) Big Machine Records, her label...so I doubt ANYONE's telling her What To Put Out Next... With her fan base, it ALL sells..heh!

&..If she loses some older More-Traditional Fans for this Latest Effort...she'll pick up maybe even More of the Younger Listeners...the ones with all that Disposable Income...

I DO get a kick outta her "Revenge" on Ex-Gents...just a wee-reminder that This Gal's Empowered...Handle With Care...

She's Brilliant..Enjoy The Ride!

All JMO, of course!
Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan

Yeah, but what about Kharma? LoL

celebrities are celebrities, I dont think the vast majority of people care what celebrity sleeps with who, their relationships alost never last anyway. I think most people giggle when they even say the word kardashian.

it's all showbiz.

But a friend of mine did have songs used on the kardashian show lol.
http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/our...ls-song-subjects-in-hidden-messages.html

Everybody knows by now that the riveting "Dear John," on Taylor Swift's new album, Speak Now, is about John Mayer. But did you know there's also one other song on the album we can now say with certainty is also about Mayer?

The second Mayer number of which we speak, "The Story of Us," is the song everybody thought was about Joe Jonas. Which is not to be confused with the one that really is about Joe Jonas, "Last Kiss." Or the numbers about Taylor Lautner or Owl City's Adam Young.

A lot of these little confusions and mysteries are cleared up by the lyric booklet for Speak Now. As usual, Swift has capitalized seemingly random letters in the printed lyrics for each song, and as usual, the capitalizations aren't random at all. They spell out sometimes cryptic, sometimes obvious "secret" messages, usually about who or what inspired the tune.  
http://entertainment.time.com/2012/...friends-beware/?iid=sl-category-mostpop2

read this article and read the comments, quite different than the comments here. lol

I think Swift is the new Madonna, controversy never hurts ones career.

I still wanna sing harmony if and when she disses me.

I am not a big TS fan but I have to admire what she has accomplished at such a young age.
Her fans love her and that is a very large fan base.

What I admire the most about her tho is the ability to write the same song over and over again and make it sound new. smirk tongue
That takes genius.
Haha. Well I feel bad for her ex's. Not all of them f*cked her over and yet they get at least one negative song written about them.

Do you know the Taking Back Sunday / Brand New / Straylight Run drama?

The bands used to be best friends.. and one best friend cheated with the others girlfriend and broke their original band up. Most of their songs are about each other.. and they aren't shy about anyone knowing. It's amusing.
A few years a go Mariah and Eminem were in a bitter break up and Mariah decided to write a song about Eminem and then told everyone it was about him.

Well that pissed off Eminem and he wrote a rap diss about their relationship... and not one peep from Mariah since that diss track

Eminem - Mariah Diss (The Warning)

Maybe that's what has to happen to Taylor. One of these days, the ex' that she outs to the world is going to retaliate with a song of his own
I think it shows the evil of the internet in general.

So much good can come of it as well, but it seems such easy access to information is a bad thing.

If Taylor Swift was popular in the 70's. nobody would know any of this stuff. If they did they'd have to read it in a rolling stone magazine, and by the time the magazine gets printed, shes married to someonne else.

Just seems like people knowing when u take a dump is a bad thing call me crazy.

Too many people talking about inconsequential jibberish.

And if u do even the least thing wrong, your name stays on the internet forever,

I know a guy who stole landscaping equiptment, his name was online for being arrested, and remains there to this day.

Kind of not fair in a way, hes not a chainsaw murderer.

I'd be totally fine in a world without the internet. It does more harm than it does good in my opinion.
Seems to me like a couple of guys who recently joined JPF have kept this thread going. I have never heard music from either of these guys on the MP3 board. Just blather.
Seems to me like a couple of guys who recently joined JPF have kept this thread going. I have never heard music from either of these guys on the MP3 board. Just blather.

grin

The christianity thread went on for weeks.

I post songs, hope u dont mean me. it seems when some of the people dont agree with some of the posters, then the complaints come in about keeping a thread alive. when its popular opinion, then nobody compains.

But check again, I have been posting.
You went there so I'm going there.

You've been hounding me for a month about me not posting my songs so last week I PM'd you a few of my songs and you told me you didn't care to hear them, and now you're in here, telling everyone how you haven't heard my songs.

You are an ass.

I even have proof of me telling you I was going to show you
and then posting it, and then you saying you didn't care to hear them after publicly stating that you did want to hear them.

Now why don't you buzz off and leave me alone
Folks, I guess they know who they are.
Folks, I guess they know who they are.

3 since august 12 not counting lyric onlies. And yours?

http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/972399/page/1#Post972399

http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/972121/page/1#Post972121

http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/971779/page/1#Post971779
Lighten up folks.

It's OK to trash Taylor, let's not trash each other please.
I would Kevin, but you're upstanding member Ben here, has been harassing me for a month about me not posting my songs. I posted them in a PM and then he told me, as you can see, that he didn't care to hear them. And now he's back at it again acting like I didn't show him my songs.

This stop now.
Aaron, Don't let yourself get drawn into the sideshows. I do it myself and never get anywhere (ha, ha).
For the record, I think it is a pretty good pop song -- if you like every other of the 1000's of Max Martin commercial pop songs that sound just like this.

Taylor writing fairly explicit songs about past beaus might sell records but it is a fairly crass way of living.
I don't know Aaron, and have never known him. He likes to send unwanted PM's to people who write comments that he doesn't agree with. I asked him to stop, but he persists. I went as far as to hit the "ignore" button, and later reversed it. It's getting creepy now.
I haven't Pm'd you Ben since August 7th. Yeah, you put me on ignore, and STILL have been referencing me. And I'm the creepy one?

Welcome back to ignore dude. Where you shall stay
Wow while all this was going I got a pm from Taylor Swift.

DRS,

Just want you to know I think you're cute and Id like to write a song with you.

XOXOX0

Swiftie
ha, ha -- I knew she was a member!

P.S. I love your knew song and direction (Max Martin, too!)
Man, Max Martin still writing major hits in 2012. I think he's probably the most successful professional songwriter in history.
Writing massive international hit songs for 17 years.
I haven't Pm'd you Ben since August 7th. Yeah, you put me on ignore, and STILL have been referencing me. And I'm the creepy one?

Please stop sending unwanted private messages to JPF members.
Maybe Taylors new song will knock Call Me Maybe off the top this week or next week?

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCABRE87E1AY20120815

OS ANGELES (Reuters) - Country-pop singer Taylor Swift has shot to the top of iTunes in 25 countries with her new single "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," and is poised for a record digital sales debut on next week's Billboard chart.

Billboard said on Wednesday that the infectiously catchy song was already among the 40 most-played tunes on U.S. radio just two days after being released.

The song went to the top of iTunes in the United States just an hour after it was released on Monday, and has since reached No. 1 in Australia, Canada, Brazil, Finland and 20 other nations.

Citing music industry sources, Billboard said the track - the first single off Swift's fourth album, "Red," due in October - could sell 450,000 to 500,000 downloads by the end of the week.

That could make "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" the biggest debut for a digital song by a female artist if Swift surpasses the 448,000 download mark set by Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" single in February 2011.

Swift, 22, has sold 17.8 million albums in the United States since bursting onto the country scene as a teenager in 2006. She went on to earn six Grammys, 10 American Music Awards and more than 13 other country music trophies for hit songs like "You Belong with Me," "Mean" and "Fifteen."

Swift is known for penning songs - some vicious and others dreamy - about past boyfriends, and the new single has sparked fevered speculation among fans and celebrity media over whom Swift is referring to in her new tune.

The singer's past musical targets have included actor Taylor Lautner, and musicians Joe Jonas and John Mayer. "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" has few obvious hints, but speculation has fallen on actor Jake Gyllenhaal, whom Swift briefly dated in 2011, and folk-pop singer Mayer, once again.

Too many people talking about inconsequential jibberish.

Bingo!
Now back to the discussion of popular music....

If you're a pretty capable songwriter than you realize that Taylor has a very good handle on the craft, and on certain aspects of it she has it nailed! She is very good!

My feeling of let down as a popular music fan of the past at least smile is that she's BETTER than this latest effort.
Why not leave a "Friday's" song like this to well the little girl who did the Fridays song? smile

She's good enough and old enough now to realize how immature and for lack of a better word lame this song is.
What's next "U Hang Up,No U Hang Up" lol

I really appreciate the craft styles of many and any kind of song, but when it comes to things like, Hmm oh well quickly

I woke up, I text-ed you
but you never answered
Why are you hiding
Saw you on facebook
So to my face you were lying

Now I'm eating breakfast
And the milk is sour
like our love went
Time to go taker a shower

lol

Over describing EVERY day life, so specifically can get tired after a while. And comes off lame to me.

If your getting older, richer and more FREE to do whatever you want then again GO follow the ldeas of a Joni Mitchell. Why go backwards musically? After Both Sides Now was a huge hit for how many people already?, Joni found the likes of Jaco Pastorious and Weather Report guys etc...

Maybe that will happen as she gets older, or is her abilities and knowledge of such music just too limited? Pop stars don't go away as fast as they used to back in the day for some it seems like they never go away.

How long can you sing about your 15 year old crushes and desires?
I guess as long as the audience is 15 right? smile But even Donny Osmond had to grow older no?

I now leave this subject to her fans, she belongs to them not me smile

All the best
Mike

oh my god you just wrote rebecca blacks the friday girl) new song

but you never answered
Why are you hiding
Saw you on facebook

Now I'm eating breakfast
And the milk is sour
like our love went
Mike, what you said reminded me of the first verse to Tik Tok by Ke$ha
an awful song imo that was a massive hit

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
(Hey, what up girl?)
Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city
(Lets go)
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

Only song I like of hers is Your Love Is My Drug
Originally Posted by Mike Caro Substudio
Now back to the discussion of popular music....

If you're a pretty capable songwriter than you realize that Taylor has a very good handle on the craft, and on certain aspects of it she has it nailed! She is very good!

My feeling of let down as a popular music fan of the past at least smile is that she's BETTER than this latest effort.
Why not leave a "Friday's" song like this to well the little girl who did the Fridays song? smile

She's good enough and old enough now to realize how immature and for lack of a better word lame this song is.
What's next "U Hang Up,No U Hang Up" lol

I really appreciate the craft styles of many and any kind of song, but when it comes to things like, Hmm oh well quickly

I woke up, I text-ed you
but you never answered
Why are you hiding
Saw you on facebook

Now I'm eating breakfast
And the milk is sour
like our love went

lol

Over describing EVERY day life, so specifically can get tired after a while. And comes off lame to me.

If your getting older, richer and more FREE to do whatever you want then again GO follow the ldeas of a Joni Mitchell. Why go backwards musically? After Both Sides Now was a huge hit for how many people already?, Joni found the likes of Jaco Pastorious and Weather Report guys etc...

Maybe that will happen as she gets older, or is her abilities and knowledge of such music just too limited? Pop stars don't go away as fast as they used to back in the day for some it seems like they never go away.

How long can you sing about your 15 year old crushes and desires?
I guess as long as the audience is 15 right? smile But even Donny Osmond had to grow older no?

I now leave this subject to her fans, she belongs to them not me smile

All the best
Mike

Alot of times producers and managers guide them. I remember when alanis morrisette was hot, they claimed her producers pushed her to write angry lyrics because that is what they thought would do well.

I would say TS is a good songwriter. Im pretty sure she has had alot of help with building the songs, The songs as simple as they are do seem professional,

She probably can sing a decent melody and they arrange around it. That is actually how the doors worked!

Well, She's already had an amazing run, so few artists last so long any more.

Writing is probably her best feature, she needs to come to jpf and get some critiques.

With our help she can stay on the charts. LOL

ILl say she writes better stuff than bieber and miley cyrus didnt write any of her stuff I dont think.

It's all good, the great thing about music is there is something for everyone.

Today's St Pete Times (Now re-named "Tampa Bay Times") Music Critic Sean Daly had a fun quote today (In the article titled "Has Swift Split from Country Music?") & it went along these lines:

"On her new song, the ex she's snubbing her cute nose at just might be named Nashville"

"Swift matters, Boys & Girls" was another relevant quip too...

She's definitely a Star who succeeds in gettin' what she wants...
& her new Album, "Red" hits the stores Oct 22...with this Chart-Topper on it.

&..Already it's bein' Talked-About..thanks to This Song/Great Marketing-at-Minimal-Cost....wouldn't ya say?

Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan
Holy Makerel,
Some of you guys are like some old biddies talking. Did you know Marty Robbins recorded a song for you: GOSSIP. and Carl Smith also recorded a song for you: LOOSE TALK. I'm starting to get some new ideas for songs.
Well then, you are welcome.
If one of those are hits Ray, don't forget to tell them we inspired you wink
They shipped a "country version" to radio. Same song, but more live
i'll have to hear this.
i'll probably like the pop version better
Here is the country version

Country version of song
I never thought Taylor Swift was oountry at any time.
wow

NASHVILLE, TENN., AUG. 22, 2012 — /PRNewswire/ -- Taylor Swift, who released her lead single "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" from her forthcoming album, Red, just last week, has set the new all-genre record for female digital song sales.

Billboard reports, "It's official: Taylor Swift has set the record for the biggest digital sales week ever for a song by a woman. 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' sold 623,000 in the week ending Aug. 19 -- according to Nielsen SoundScan -- and it thus debuts at No. 1 on Billboard's Digital Songs chart. Not only is it the best week ever for a woman, but the second-largest ever overall. Swift also nets the largest debut week among women."

In addition, in only one full week of release, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" has claimed the #1 position atop Billboard's Hot 100 all-format singles chart, which factors in both sales and radio airplay. The single debuted in the Top 20 on several of Billboard's radio airplay charts: the Pop Songs, Adult Pop Songs, Country Songs and Adult Contemporary Charts. This marks Taylor's 11th #1 across multiple formats, including Number Ones on the Billboard 200, Digital Songs, Radio Songs, Pop Songs, Country Songs and Country Albums charts, among others.

Worldwide, the single has already reached the #1 position atop the iTunes charts in 32 countries. 

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/08...eaches-1-on-billboard.html#storylink=cpy
Ok, I finally heard the song in question....yeah, I know, took me long enough....

I've got to say, it came my usual country station, it sounded very much a Taylor Swift song.

I'm not sure what all the hoopla was over. This song is as country as Carrie Underwoods Last Name, Cowboy Casanove, Luke Brians Country Girl, pick a Jason Aldean song..... Honestly I was disappointed that it wasn't pop! After all the buildup I expected to hear something totally different.

So anyway, it may not be traditional, but IMHO, it still running the edges of country.
Ok, I finally heard the song in question....yeah, I know, took me long enough....

I've got to say, it came my usual country station, it sounded very much a Taylor Swift song.

I'm not sure what all the hoopla was over. This song is as country as Carrie Underwoods Last Name, Cowboy Casanove, Luke Brians Country Girl, pick a Jason Aldean song..... Honestly I was disappointed that it wasn't pop! After all the buildup I expected to hear something totally different.

So anyway, it may not be traditional, but IMHO, it still running the edges of country.
Great song - great move for Taylor - Go Taylor.
the version you heard was probably the country version she made
I agree Caroline and Tom....I see nothing wrong with the country version or "pop" version. I think it is cool how Taylor has brought some kids into country music more, broadened their music horizons to make them perhaps listen to other country artists like Band Perry, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, and Hunter Hayes.

Kimberly
I am so ready to dawn a drag queen ensemble and Tammy Faye mascara, stand in front of my video camera and cry "Leave Taylor ALONE!!!, Please, (snif, snif) LEAVE HER ALOOOONE"

Honestly, she's not done anything from dating to writing that is hurting another person. She obviously has a good handle on her career, she's smart enough to know how to draw additional fans, and lets face it, we did allow Darius Rucker to turn country. But we can't allow Taylor Swift to do pop! Please!!

The only sell outs are the adults getting their panties in a bunch over it. If you don't like it don't listen, if you do like it, listen. It's that simple. As far as who she dates, whose business is it but hers. My sisters had 4 divorces, you don't think I've gotten some good material out of that? Country is almost expected to be about lost dogs, lost loves, fishing, hunting and jail time. Happy or sad, if the song sells copies, good for her. Writing about her breakups, that's called therapy. Publishing them, that's called revenge. All the makings of good music reguardless of it being traditional or contemporary and reguardless of genre. I happen to listen to a lot of pop since my daughter is older and I see no need for any one singer to stick to any one genre. Radios have dials for a reason.

What exactly should she write about any way. She could write about my life, if she knew me, but she'd have a hard time making it believable if she were to sing about being a 40 year old mother.
I heard the pop version this morning, I'm not at all disappointed. I like them both. If that makes me a sell out, get the clearance rack ready! I've got others I listen to as well who have cross overs.
I see you've got the whole girl power thing going on there.

You said

As far as who she dates, whose business is it but hers.

But most of her career is based on dating celebrities and then writing nasty songs about them after, or girls she does not like or just people she doesn't like. Who she dates is important to her fans and the media. She is making millions off it after all.
And that's her choice. If she didn't want anyone knowing her "private life and whom she dates" she wouldn't be giving her fan base hints to whom she's singing about.
Carrie Underwood has had top 10 hits on the hot billboard 100 and pop chart years before Taylor Swift had entered the charts.
But agreed with your post.

It is good exposure for the country music industry.
Seems like this paper is calling out Swift. Don't know the song but I am rather shocked she got away with writing this. I guess people can't claim Taylor is an innocent little girl being victimized anymore. Since Taylor writes about her life she is writing this about someone real, Yes?

article

She slams her indie-record-listening ex as a snob in We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, the new single released this week from Swift's upcoming album. In 2008's You Belong With Me, she mocks the cheerleader who's dating the boy she wants to go out with for wearing skirts and heels instead of jeans and sneakers. And in 2010's Better Than Revenge, she moved on to outright slut-shaming, saying her rival is "Not a saint and she's not what you think/ She's an actress/ But she's better known for the things that she does on the mattress."

This would be unpleasant enough if it weren't widely assumed, once again, that Swift had a specific target in mind: Camilla Belle, who dated Joe Jonas after Swift.

She flambéed John Mayer in 2010's Dear John, asking him "Don't you think 19's too young to be played with?" even as she differentiates herself from "All the girls that you've run dry (who) have tired lifeless yes," because "I took your matches before fire could catch me."

The sense that Swift is publicly shaming her exes or her rivals is so strong that Jonas was quick to say publicly that he couldn't possibly have been the target of We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together when it was released this week.

Swift doesn't have to name names — she can simply sit back and let gossip sites do her work for her, never sullying herself by confirming or denying.
Oh, apparently she did not buy a mansion next to her boyfriends.

But now there are stories coming out that she crashed a Kennedy wedding with her boyfriend. I don't believe that is true at all.
The way the mother described Taylor sounded ludicrous about how she walked right past her after being told to leave. I might have issues with the way she screws over her ex's but I don't see Taylor ignoring the mother of the bride like that. Clearly an attention grab by the old lady.

This is such a funny thread, all this hoopla over Ms. Swift, I'm sure it's spawned a few plays of her new song and gave her enough to buy a new notebook and pen.

When I say it's nobodies business whom she chooses to date, I believe everyone is entitled to some degree of privacy. Let's face it though, even if artists doesn't write their own songs, the songs they sing were probably written about the writers own experiences. Making it personal, someone most likely felt it, wrote it and passed it on. Same thing IMHO
And....it's not girl power, it's just how I feel. If we were talking about Kenny Chesney, Dierks Bentley or any man, I would feel the same way. If they wrote about relationships and made some money, I'd be all for that too.

You don't seem to understand me. I'm fine with her writing about her relationships. But I am not fine with the witch hunts that occur after she releases the song. Part of it is her fault. She leaves hints on her cd booklets. And then the media shares a part of the fault too.

When I see Taylor in interviews she doesn't say a bad thing about anyone.
She's very polite and sweet. Then she releases her cd and it's like where did the sweet girl go? There's a whole song implying that a girl she doesn't like is a slut.
Which is the real Taylor, the sweet, polite Taylor in public or the mean and petty Taylor in her songs?

Well, she is a woman so she would have to be all of the above at one time or another. I don't care for witch hunts either, but when one doesn't name names....I think people are always going to read into songs what they believe to be the meaning, subject. I don't disagree about your feelings on this, everyone would be entitled to their own. I'm just kind of annoyed that some one else's personal life/ successes/ downfalls seem to be do widely discussed by people who can't change it. Kim K, don't care if she's married, divorced, drunk, sober, gay, straight, but there's constantly talk of her. It's not my place to say what she does, she wouldn't listen to me anyway. I do watch that show from time to time but strictly for entertainment, not to learn something, or take sides. Lol

Anyway, I've got to get off here. It's time to bake.
Fair enough, but once people stop talking about a celebrity, that's when their career is finished.

Have fun baking!
I think Taylor is making a mistake. She is writing with Assembly Line writers.....SHE doesn't need them and they will ruin her songs and sound. Her melodies are crazy catchy and if she just started to write about the next phase of her life....that's all she has to do. Next she'll be doing projects with Hip Hop Artists UGH!! The one with the Civil Wars was awful and this new one is really pathetic compared to her others.
Just my opinion......Stick to what you know and are good at.
B
Originally Posted by Barry David Butler
Next she'll be doing projects with Hip Hop Artists UGH!!

She was on B.O.B.'s last single "Both Of Us"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sa9qeV6T0o
Good for her - stretch out and try new things. Go Taylor.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards