JPF Home Page
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 09:31 PM
Susan Boyle had "...the best-selling album debut by a woman in the Billboard SoundScan era..." She is beating them all.

Notice that the two hottest recording acts in music, Susan Boyle and Taylor Swift, first became famous on the internet. Neither came up through the major label machine, with development deals and years of performing, but both "burst" onto the scene through the internet. Through the internet, they both had a good deal of fame before their major releases.

Interesting times.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/301522472034289.bsp
Posted By: Two Singers Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 09:42 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the post. I am not the least bit surprised about this. But I'm happy to see it happen.

I think this does tell us that the Internet can be used effectively if the user has the savvy, the talent and the tenacity. these types of events are unusual, for sure, but it leaves the door open for us to realize it is, indeed, possible. the Internet can be a valuable tool!

Alan
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 09:49 PM
Al,

Thanks for commenting.

Yes, they're unusual, but they are the two biggest things in cd sales right now. I predict the next record-breaking debut will come from the internet also.

It only makes sense. Gradually the internet or something like it will take over mainstream music. It's become the new "word of mouth."
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 09:50 PM
Also, it will be interesting to see if Susan Boyle gets any airplay on pop radio, what stations will play her. That will be VERY interesting.
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 10:07 PM
I cannot comment on Taylor Swift but I think you will find that Susan Boyle's fame and success was due solely to her TV performance on Britain's got talent.....that led to huge mass hysteria and curiousity resulting in success worldwide.....in part due to her strange looks and odd behaviour. Before that show nobody had even heard of her and apart from a local charity album that sold about 100 copies she had never recorded anything.
People may have ordered her CD on the internet but they knew about her because of a certain Simon Cowell and co who host the TV show she nearly won.
Most things can be bought cheaper and easier on the internet now and people use it for communication and education but the main way to fame is still through the conventional record company and its use of media hype.
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 10:40 PM
Hey Mike:

Thanks for sharing. Big Jim, I agree to a point but... the massive play Susan received via the net postings also play a big part in her success here across the big pond from Scotland. No denying it... she has a marvelous voice. I only hope that her "handlers" are looking at the big picture on her behalf and not lining their pockets instead.

Taylor Swift's talent is mostly the cause of her success but the humiliating thing at the awards has also served to bring out thousands of sympathetic folks who might not have otherwise been real fans. I wish them both immense success.

The "jury is still out" on whether or not the net model will finally pan out but I would not bet against it. Wish I had a better crystal ball to foretell the future of music and how it will be delivered. I suspect we have yet to see the technology that will ultimately provide this path.
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 10:48 PM
Dave,

No one here would have known who she was without the internet. The internet changed her future from being a U.K. contest winner to being a worldwide phenomenon. If her "handlers" are looking out for the big picture, then they WILL line their pockets. I only hope they are lining Susan's pockets as well.

Radio didn't create Susan Boyle. Without the power of the internet, Taylor Swift would not have had the clout to interest a major label exec to jump ship from his label and work on her independently. The internet reaches the largest cd buying audience. I wonder what percentage of cds are bought over the net as opposed to in stores? Anybody know?
Posted By: Jack Swain Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 10:50 PM
The very best part of Susan Boyle's success, if the industry will pay attention, is that the older audience is where the biggest possibility for album sales resides. Younger audiences are much more likely to purchase (or steal) singles downloads, but the older audience still clings to an interest in full albums. Maybe there is a forgotten market to be tapped, and likewise, some of the less glamorous performers like Susan Boyle may still have some commercial viability.
Posted By: Two Singers Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 10:58 PM
Mike,

Here's an article that doesn't exactly answer your question about the percentage of sales in the two venues, but it discusses the subject in general terms and gives a decent overview of what's going on in music download vs CD sales.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2009/tc2009035_000194.htm

It's a two page report, be sure to click onto the second page.

Alan
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 11:02 PM
I'm sure the industry knows that. That's why oldies always sell, only they usually sell as a group of artists and/or albums, not as one single album that tops the charts. Where the problem lies is in the breakout artist. It's harder to breakout someone who is older. The Susan Boyle phenom was a textbook case. It's like the popularity of the nerd's revenge as a movie theme. It took the scenario of the underdog and used it to create popularity. It's Rocky and Revenge of the Nerds, a very popular theme, played out in reality. I wouldn't be surprised if it was engineered. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the panel of judges knew in advance that this was a real singer coming up, and used the "snarkiness" and the almost pitiful compassion to help create the big shock.

Maybe if Susan pioneers a cd buying fad, some more will come along. Years ago, when people were lamenting the loss of Merle Haggard and George Jones on country radio, I said that if half of the people complaining bought their current albums, they'd be on the radio somewhere. The market works. The problem is...people think music is free.
Posted By: eb Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 11:15 PM
The first time I heard of Susan Boyle was in an internet newsgroup. Then I watched her on youtube and though I can't remember for sure, I believe the label "youtube phenomenon" was applied to her in the first interview I saw.
Posted By: in2piano Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 11:27 PM
Mike...I agree this shall be interesting to watch and see if the paradigm "mutates"....she has such an amazing talent...I surely hope that she gets an 'honest' business manager...much money to be made up-front...you are right on...the market does work....one just has to be adept enough to follow the trail...
Posted By: Hummingbird Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/02/09 11:30 PM
Simple really. We love the underdog. Not only that though, she can sing. She has talent. And I'm glad that we have the internet, so that people can see and be moved by her winning over a doubting audiences and judges. She ain't 18, she's not gyrating her hips in a bikini, and her CD is flying off the shelves. That's success in my book. Would she have that success without the internet and television? No. But then who else would either, really.
Posted By: Jack Swain Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 12:13 AM
I am quite certain you are right Mike, that it was all engineered, however, the sales are there regardless of the circumstances. That is, unless it is a case of a record company buying up their own albums to to break a record. It would not be the first time that has happened.
Posted By: ben willis Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Dunbar
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the panel of judges knew in advance that this was a real singer coming up, and used the "snarkiness" and the almost pitiful compassion to help create the big shock.

I don't know about that, but I agree that it might be a good idea to start a phenomenon. I think that if this were true that they would have done it again with someone else, but it may be too soon and the public might catch on.

I do agree with Big Jim in that Simon Cowell did have a hand in this, so it ain't just some regular slug posting a video on YouTube. It was orchestrated.

I've got a video on YouTube with less than 2000 views. If Cowell were involved, it would have 2,000,000 views.
Posted By: Jerry Jakala Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 12:17 AM
I am really happy for her!
It is really great to see talent actually win one!
Posted By: Joe Wrabek (D) Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by ben willis
I've got a video on YouTube with less than 2000 views.

Ben, I have a video on YouTube with, like, *2* views. You mean if you were involved, I could get 2,000 views?

Joe
Posted By: ben willis Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 12:54 AM
Yes Joe, I can pair it up with mine.
Posted By: eb Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 01:06 AM
Wouldn't it be neat if all of a sudden over 40 singers became all the rage? Of course, she ain't country like she should be.
Posted By: ben willis Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Wrabek

Ben, I have a video on YouTube with, like, *2* views. You mean if you were involved, I could get 2,000 views?
Joe

Just checked Joe. It's more like 2600, yours is over 200, but mine is 8 months old.

Tried to figure out how to put your video on my side bar. Couldn't do it. Must be a key word thing.
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 01:24 AM
Just for info.... All aspiring wannabes are pre auditioned before going on stage before the panel in Britain's got talent and X factor. I suspect a similar thing happens on AI. The sheer numbers with thousands of wannabes at each venue of auditions dictate that it would be physically impossible for all acts to have their two mins in front of Cowell and Co.
They ar pre auditioned and come back on another day then narrowed down to the few that are so bad they are likely to get the biggest laugh or are serious contenders. A girl I know auditioned in Glasgow and was not thought good enough for a proper audition. She was a far better singer than most that appeared in the auditions prog but did not burst into tears or have a sad story about a family member who she was doing it for or was not considered bad enough to get a laugh.
Cowell and co only see a handful of auditions at each venue. By then it is pretty sewn up as to who is going through.
Posted By: Mike Caro Substudio Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
I cannot comment on Taylor Swift but I think you will find that Susan Boyle's fame and success was due solely to her TV performance on Britain's got talent.....that led to huge mass hysteria and curiousity resulting in success worldwide.....in part due to her strange looks and odd behaviour. Before that show nobody had even heard of her and apart from a local charity album that sold about 100 copies she had never recorded anything.
People may have ordered her CD on the internet but they knew about her because of a certain Simon Cowell and co who host the TV show she nearly won.
Most things can be bought cheaper and easier on the internet now and people use it for communication and education but the main way to fame is still through the conventional record company and its use of media hype.

Bingo!...... JIm.

We have someone here locally that is doing quit well. She had no record deal with a major,pretty sure none at all with anyone.
She used the internet for sure.

Then i later found out she had the Old Navy TV commercial song that was constantly played on TV.
Also she had appearances on 2 major late night shows. All before hand. Boy you sure get a lot more visits on the net AFTER that.

IMO
You tube,My Space, Facebook, Sonic, whichever one you want doesn't book you on The Tonight Show, a MANAGER does. An agent a representative does. You need to KNOW people who can help you open doors.

NOW, the angle of the internet is a HUGE key to fan base, and the basis of which your agent has "something to sell" when discussing you. He or she says "My client or insert name has half a million hits, they have this and that going on online.
Also it's a start of you selling yourself to an agent. So there is merrit there. It used to be called "Gigging" lol...

So yes the internet is very important when bargaining for something as well a helping yourself. You show motivation!
Posted By: Mike Caro Substudio Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Jack Swain
The very best part of Susan Boyle's success, if the industry will pay attention, is that the older audience is where the biggest possibility for album sales resides. Younger audiences are much more likely to purchase (or steal) singles downloads, but the older audience still clings to an interest in full albums. Maybe there is a forgotten market to be tapped, and likewise, some of the less glamorous performers like Susan Boyle may still have some commercial viability.

Another Bingo!!

Yes what a concept, Older people are people too lol...
Beauty gets enough attention.
Labels take notice - KIDS get there money from there parents!
Don't ignore the source lol///

Remember radio? without video. I never knew what anyone looked like when I was little except for a few. Watch "The Last Waltz"
to get a dose of talent without the beauty lol

Great great point Jack, and they the labels bitch whine and wonder why there sales and stocks are all down....
They are victims of there own circumstance and stupid rules.

Music is music!!! business please promote music...
Make it the Music Business again and not the Business of Music.

Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 05:31 PM
I'm glad to see Susan is doing well, there is a market for singing talent that does not come wrapped in a beautiful body. Why is it all about sex, we get enough of that in movies and on soaps on TV. Let the beauty of vocalcords deliver the beauty of lyrics and melody to waiting ears without being filtered through staring eyes that trigger our imagination for sexual satisfaction with someone we can never have.
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Everett Adams
Why is it all about sex, we get enough of that in movies

I've never gotten enough sex in the movies. They kept throwing me out of the theater.

All kidding aside. Sex sells. It bought the head of John the Baptist. It will always sell things, so it makes an "easier" sell of music. An attractive, provocative person garners attention. The trick is, to find another way to gain attention. Susan Boyle's method, to appeal as the underdog who beats the favorites, is one way. What are others?

Posted By: Joe Wrabek (D) Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 07:38 PM
Roadkill?
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 07:48 PM
If I want to see pretty ladies dancing I would go to a pole dance bar. If I want to hear music I prefer listening or watching somebody with REAL musical talent performing. When it comes to music LOOKS do not nd should not enter the equation. I judge on the performance. Most if not all of the pretty pop charters cannot sing....so watcing a bimbo lip sync has nothing to offer me. I would rather pay to hear Miss Boyle sing live something aproximating music...... something most pop stars can only dream about emulating.
Posted By: EdThomas Re: Queen of Pop: Susan Boyle - 12/03/09 11:09 PM
Good for HER!!!

Been looking for the industry experts that shouted long and loud that her you tube excitement would NOT translate into record sales to comment. Makes you wonder just how much they really know after all. THEY sure are not selling any records!!! lol

© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards