JPF Home Page

"That Empathetic Man"

Posted By: IronKnee

"That Empathetic Man" - 05/10/18 05:39 AM

Wow...it has been awhile since I've written anything; and, it is really good to be back. Gotta a new tune that I want to share. All thoughts are welcome, and first impressions are most welcome.
Thanks, in advance...ÖÖ
-Tom

"That Empathetic Man"

Words & Music by Tom Tognaci

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13724069

Could I walk a hundred miles, on the soles of broken shoes?
Could I lose everything I ever had to lose?
Could I sleep aside a road?
Could I dream shivering cold?
Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old?

I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But as this Country now bemoans
White guilt and comfort zones
Itís getting hard to be that empathetic man

~ Instrumental~

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But using kids to lite the fuse
On the bombs thrown by fake news
Yea, itís getting hard to be that empathetic man

Would I stand, could I face, those hateful hearts of stone?
Could I practice what I preach when I stand alone?
Could I kick the man thatís down?
Or, would I help him off the ground?
Would I show mercy when the tables turn around?

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But, berate this great Country,
With a finger and a knee
You arenít going to find that empathetic man
Posted By: Calvin

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/10/18 09:09 AM

Hello Tom,


Good to have you back in here, I enjoyed the song AND your performance.
Thanks for sharing what you do.
Hope you're not near the lava.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Travis david

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/10/18 10:43 AM

Hi Tom
It's a Sounclick winner and for me too
Travis
Posted By: Dave Rice

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/10/18 08:16 PM

Hi Tom:

Enjoyed my listen. I hope you are not located on the "Big Island" in the vicinity of the significant lava flow being experienced there now. Sounds like more is to be expected and I sure worry about those folks without any kind of insurance.

Thanks for sharing your work... best of luck with it.

----Dave
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/11/18 02:07 PM

Hi Tom,

Super Title/concept........I really enjoyed this. Tom, I can "empathize" with you, I wish I had more time to write and hang around JPF more often. But I'm a traveling man and do the best that I can. You are always a bright spot on the boards here--great song!

steady-eddie
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/12/18 02:01 PM

Tom,

A classic folk style song - with that type message. A good job on this. Brings to mind the likes of Tom Paxton...

fj
Posted By: GocartMoz

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/13/18 05:40 PM

Hey Tom,

Listened to this a few times over the last few weeks. Your playing and singing are great, as always. Love the melody and music, as well. Lyrically, I'm a bit biased to fairly critique this. It is easy to see that you and I have very different politics. Not unusual to see diametrically opposed positions in this day and age. I think those that agree with you can use this as an anthem. It is that well done. Those that don't. probably won't give it a second listen (although I did ... and three and four). Enjoyed the music!

Dave
Posted By: Deej56

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/17/18 03:54 AM

IronKnee,

Write me down as a fan of your sound and songsóthis one is no exception. Great, crisp vocal, with great phrasing throughout, and strong lyrics to boot. Well, well done!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/18/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Hello Tom,


Good to have you back in here, I enjoyed the song AND your performance.
Thanks for sharing what you do.
Hope you're not near the lava.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart


Always nice to hear from you Calvin!! Thanks.




Originally Posted by Travis david
Hi Tom
It's a Sounclick winner and for me too
Travis


Thanks for listening!!


Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Hi Tom:

Enjoyed my listen. I hope you are not located on the "Big Island" in the vicinity of the significant lava flow being experienced there now. Sounds like more is to be expected and I sure worry about those folks without any kind of insurance.

Thanks for sharing your work... best of luck with it.

----Dave

Hi Dave....Thanks for listening and commenting......and, I'm quit safe here on Oahu. Thanks, man!

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Hi Tom,

Super Title/concept........I really enjoyed this. Tom, I can "empathize" with you, I wish I had more time to write and hang around JPF more often. But I'm a traveling man and do the best that I can. You are always a bright spot on the boards here--great song!

steady-eddie


Always nice to hear from you.....much thanks.!!



Gotta run......thanks soooo much for the great response to my song. I'll be back ;-)
-Tom
Posted By: Irwin

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/19/18 03:17 PM

Hi Tom, I always enjoy your compositions and this just another one I like. Sometimes I wonder, aren't you guys not publish songwriters as yet, and why. This confuses me.
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 05/21/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Irwin
Hi Tom, I always enjoy your compositions and this just another one I like. Sometimes I wonder, aren't you guys not publish songwriters as yet, and why. This confuses me.

Thank Irwin for the generous comments.
As far as becoming money making "published" songwriters....
For one....there is a tremendous amount of talent we all have to get on top of.
And two....I have a great day job ;-)

All the best.....and thanks, again!!
-Tom
Posted By: TamsNumber4

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 06/06/18 12:00 AM

Tom!! So nice to see you and hoping you are safe. Nice write and love hearing your voice again!

Tammy
Posted By: Janice_and_Bud

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 06/12/18 04:19 PM

What singer/songwriter should be all about.

Excellent lyric and vocal performance.

Well done!!

J&B
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 06/12/18 09:07 PM

Alright Tom,always ready to hear whatcha got.Very well done,i like this one a bunch.Stay safe over there. Mike
Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 06/12/18 10:56 PM

I didn't expect the music I heard when I was reading the lyric, which is why we shouldn't read the lyric, without listening...

But, you have more courage than i do writing a song like this. I'm always worried about being wrong....don't wanna be that guy who changes his stances on things.

I'm 50/50 on whether I agree, but I did think you did a good job in the song.

Nice social throwback tune.
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: "That Empathetic Man" - 06/25/18 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by TamsNumber4
Tom!! So nice to see you and hoping you are safe. Nice write and love hearing your voice again!

Tammy


So nice to hear from you Tams....thank you!!

Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
What singer/songwriter should be all about.

Excellent lyric and vocal performance.

Well done!!

J&B



Thanks guys.......it means a lot!

Originally Posted by Michael LeBlanc
Alright Tom,always ready to hear whatcha got.Very well done,i like this one a bunch.Stay safe over there. Mike



Thanks Michael......it's appreciated!

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
I didn't expect the music I heard when I was reading the lyric, which is why we shouldn't read the lyric, without listening...

But, you have more courage than i do writing a song like this. I'm always worried about being wrong....don't wanna be that guy who changes his stances on things.

I'm 50/50 on whether I agree, but I did think you did a good job in the song.

Nice social throwback tune.


I always like to read the lyric first....it's nice to see how the mind works!. Ans thanks for stopping by!



And thanks to all who have listened!
-Tom
© 2020 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards