JPF Home Page
Posted By: Mark Kaufman The Battle of Evermore - 10/02/19 05:10 PM
This is a Led Zeppelin cover, but I could use some feedback on the mix and anything else before I submit this to a library. My daughter Madeline Kaufman sings with me on this, and I can't express how much I enjoy recording music with either of my grown up, moved out daughters. Just a joy.

[Linked Image]

The Battle of Evermore : https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13922872
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/03/19 12:40 AM
Hi Mark,

This is absolutely wonderful.

I recognize it's a Zep tune, but Madeline and the mandolin lend your version a bit of a British Folk Roots feel, meeting Fairport Convention (circa Sandy Denny) halfway and I definitely prefer this version. It's prettier and the more feminine quality goes far to truly "bring the balance back."

Madeline's voice and yours soar together. Has she had classical training? Amazing chops there. Like dad. smile Some great use of double tracking on the vocals as well.

This would work in so many settings, including a Game of Thrones movie.

As far as the mix goes, there's plenty of instrumental panning so I didn't need any more separation in your two lead vocals than there is. Well EQ'd-- I wasn't missing any lows since there's various percussion exciting the 150-400 Hz range

Well de-essed, but a couple frothy f's like "force" and "fire" ..but who's gonna notice except other producers, though?

Mike

Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/03/19 01:13 AM
Great production. I loved the way your voices combine in this. The first time Madeline's voice slides in it takes you a moment to notice it. She has a great voice and your harmonies are really tight. I wouldn't have thought of the Fairport Convention comparison if Mike hadn't suggested it, but, yes, I can hear that in parts. I loved the way it gets all loose and disorganized at the end.
Posted By: JAPOV Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/04/19 03:14 AM
The male Vox is crisp and clear for lack of effects I think... The female vox kinda gets muddled because of effects... The overall tone is great and the harmonies are awesome, I just wish the female vox had more clarity. Perhaps a single female vox to match the male vox but pull the doubling effects/harmonies back a bit and give them more stereo spread.
Posted By: JaneK Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/07/19 08:27 PM
This is a nice sounding mix and would work well for a music library. - if you did this yourself it sounds very professional. Wow is all I can say
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/08/19 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Mark,

This is absolutely wonderful.

I recognize it's a Zep tune, but Madeline and the mandolin lend your version a bit of a British Folk Roots feel, meeting Fairport Convention (circa Sandy Denny) halfway and I definitely prefer this version. It's prettier and the more feminine quality goes far to truly "bring the balance back."

Madeline's voice and yours soar together. Has she had classical training? Amazing chops there. Like dad. smile Some great use of double tracking on the vocals as well.

This would work in so many settings, including a Game of Thrones movie.

As far as the mix goes, there's plenty of instrumental panning so I didn't need any more separation in your two lead vocals than there is. Well EQ'd-- I wasn't missing any lows since there's various percussion exciting the 150-400 Hz range

Well de-essed, but a couple frothy f's like "force" and "fire" ..but who's gonna notice except other producers, though?

Mike

Thanks so much Michael! Especially for catching the F distortion...I actually didn't have to De-ess for once, because of actually setting up the mics and gain-staging properly. I was surprised! grin
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/08/19 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Great production. I loved the way your voices combine in this. The first time Madeline's voice slides in it takes you a moment to notice it. She has a great voice and your harmonies are really tight. I wouldn't have thought of the Fairport Convention comparison if Mike hadn't suggested it, but, yes, I can hear that in parts. I loved the way it gets all loose and disorganized at the end.

Thanks Gavin!

Yeah, the Fairport comparison is because their singer Sandy Denny originally sang Madeline's part with Robert Plant on the Zeppelin track. Father-daughter voices had BETTER blend, or ELSE. smile
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/08/19 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by JAPOV
The male Vox is crisp and clear for lack of effects I think... The female vox kinda gets muddled because of effects... The overall tone is great and the harmonies are awesome, I just wish the female vox had more clarity. Perhaps a single female vox to match the male vox but pull the doubling effects/harmonies back a bit and give them more stereo spread.

Thanks JAPOV, I hear what you mean...it isn't very symmetrical to have my lines always solo and hers often doubled or tripled. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could. Appreciated!
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/08/19 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by JaneK
This is a nice sounding mix and would work well for a music library. - if you did this yourself it sounds very professional. Wow is all I can say

Thanks Jane! smile
Posted By: 90 dB Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/08/19 04:48 PM
Excellent track, Mark.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: glynda Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/10/19 03:59 AM
Ok what can I say...I keep hearing your songs and I think..ok this is my new favorite song of yours....then you go and do it again...now this IS my new favorite song of yours...all around Greattt song...tks

glyn
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/10/19 04:19 AM
Mark,

This is beautifully done—really well put together . . . impressive effort; the vocal compliment each other well. Enjoyed it!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: E Swartz Re: The Battle of Evermore - 10/11/19 12:58 AM
Mark,

Outstanding. Great vocal production--maybe being related gives those harmonies their great tone quality! No nits from me.

steady-eddie
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards