JPF Home Page
Bobbie Gallup wrote these phenomenal lyrics that literally jumped off the page and into my heart.

Bobbie is one of those rare gifted lyricists that not only writes a beautifully portrayed and engaging story, but tells it in the first person with all the flair and character of that person, quite literally placing the listener not only in the song but in the "skin" of that character!

I can't thank her enough for giving me this opportunity to explore a side of myself I barely new existed!

I dedicate this song too everyone here on JPF that refuses to give up on their dreams no matter what the odds!

Your thoughts, comments and ideas are always valued.

Martin/Accel

[Linked Image]
CLICK IMAGE ^
to hear song

Livin' On Dreams
Hayden BMI / Gallup ASCAP copyright 2007

Stomach's been empty for couple 'a days
Stray cat outside my door
Now I'm down to the last scraps of old pizza
And she's beggin' me for more

But there's a craving in my belly
There's a need in my soul
Never thought I'd get this far down
But makin' music
That sweet ol' music
Makes me whole

CHORUS:
And it . . .
Looks like I'll be livin' on dreams awhile
Livin' the blues ain't gonna go outta style
It's a day-to-day struggle just to survive
Like that old cat, I'm barely stayin' alive
But I still got my music, my reason to smile
And it looks like I'll be livin' on dreams for a while

My transmission up and died
I must've been goin too fast
Now I gotta walk everywhere I go
As long as these old soles last

And there's a craving in my belly
But makin' music
That sweet ol' music
Makes me whole...and it

CHORUS:

One bare bulb hotel room
And we've both seen better days
It aint much but we call it home
For the two of us strays

And there's a craving in my belly
But makin' music
That sweet ol' music
Makes me whole...and it

BRIDGE:
That ol' tip jar done stretch too far
But I don't give a damn,
'Cause music's what I am

And it . . .
Looks like I'll be livin' on dreams a while
Livin' the blues ain't gonna go outta style
It’s a day-to-day struggle just to survive
Looks like I'll be livin' on dreams for a while
Accel & Bobby,

I really like it...never heard the "country" Martin...yet another good job...song about my life smile Just love the bridge...

tom
Hey Accel And Bobby,

Yep, that about sums it up. Love the pizza line !

Nice changes Accel, Bobbie the hook is working well. Great job guys, country rock with interest. Cool bridge and transition.

Well written and delivered.

cheers, niteshift
Nice job Martin,, kindof like Springsteen/nashville smile
coupla suggestions on the lyrics.

Stomach's been "growlin" for a coupla days. (1st line)

Last line of the chorus " Feeds my soul" but the 2nd line would have to be changed though smile
Accel and Bobbie...Very good....Bob Seger gone country....which he has....neat crossover tune....nice job to both of you....enjoyed it....Bob
Howdy Tom,

When Accel asked about doing music for this lyric, which had been languishing for a couple of years, I jumped at the chance. He applied his musical magic and took this in a direction I never would have anticipated...but I am VERY happy with it!! Helps to get out of one's normal genre box on occasion. Sure appreciate you taking time to check this out. The details of this lyric are actually based on a real scenario.

Bobbie
Howdy Geoff,

Sure appreciate your thoughts on this! I am very pleased with where Martin took this. Thanks for the listen and for liking this.

Hugs,
Bobbie
Good lyrics. I can't listen on this work station. But I will tonight.
Hey Tom, I thought so too.

This song to me, is about this life of music and no matter what the pain or hardship, the antedote seems to be the very thing that's causing it - music itself!

Can't live with it, can't live without it, hey that sounds like something else . . . won't go there lol

I'm glad you liked it Tom, thanks for listening.

Martin / Accel
Hey Mate,

Isn't that a tasty line, even though the pizza is old it still tastes pretty good when your hungry! That line was what dragged me in! I couldn't stop reading.

Thanks so much for listening and for the cool responses.

Martin / Accel
Hi Bobbie, & Martin,

I really enjoyed the lyric to this. Lots of great imagery and good job tying the "stray" imagery throughout.

I haven't heard your country before, Martin, so it was different for me to kinda hear that "Seger goes country" sound, but it was all right. Liked the chorus melody.

Nice work, you two!

Hey Louis,

Thanks for that and the lyrical ideas are good growlin really is a word that would definitley fit, it got that same phonetic syntax.

Feeds my soul is good too . . . although maybe a little cliché perhaps not. I'd have too try it and see how it sits.

Thanks for listening and for contributing some great lyrical ideas!

Martin / Accel
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the cross-over plug, that has always been my ambition when writing tunes. Not that it always happens, but if you say it is then hey, I'll go along with it.

Glad you liked it!

Your ol' buddy,

Martin / Accel
:)This got me up and moving you two.... Bobbie outstanding
lyrics.... and Martin...I love how you handled the phrasing
on lines and your neat vocals,...and positively loved your verse and builds...

I think the style suited the lyric well!!!..

Good luck ..you two...
hugs...
Kaley...
I guess I commented on this over on the lyrics board ... gosh, I still like it over here! smile Good collab!
Ha - Louis beat me to it - country Bruce Springsteen!

Until right at the end of the bridge - I actually got a Warren Zevon vibe there - musta been the grunt and the howl smile

I listened to this the other day but wanted to let it sit for awhile and listen again. I really like it - but, to be honest, I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the chorus melody. It seemed a little repetitive to me. Everything else worked like a champ for me.

Actually, Bruce's Pink Cadillac was similar in that regard and it did grow on me - and did pretty good for him too. I'll listen again in another day or two - fundamentally it seems very strong to me. Great collab!

Scott

Thanks Samuel,

Let us know whatcha think.

Martin / Accel
Hey Kaley,

You got it goin!

So glad you liked it and thanks for the well wishes!

Martin / Accel
Hey Mary Lou,

I read your supportive comments over on the lyric board and I'm thrilled you liked it!

Thanks for dropping in and for listening and responding.

Martin / Accel
Another great collab! It amazes me, Accel, how you are able to get the right music and feel to someone else's lyrics (I can't do that for my own most of the time). This song speaks to and for all of us here I think.

Clint
Standing up and applauding ... grin Wonderful ...
I think I remember reading the lyrics a while back ... strong as always Mz Bobbie!!
Martin... great job ... yea... Bruce Springstein goes country about sums it up!

all the best
Joanne
Hey Scott,

As I'm beginning to find out, we all have a bit of country in us whether we know it or not.

I can understand exactly where you are coming from with regards to the chorus, but I wanted to intentionally create a chorus that would give some relief to the rest of the song by bringing it to a bouncy, happy repetitive level and I thought by making it sound very simple I would achieve that objective. I think I did and when I look at the whole song that way, it works for me. I also wanted Bobbie's lyrics to take even more of a center stage so that when the chorus was repeated they would have even more impact and I think I was able to do this.

When you mentioned Bruce's Pink Cadillac I was thinking along the same lines probably John Cougar but definitely the same sort of treatment happy and repetitious.

So happy you liked the song and I hope the rest of it grows on you!

Martin / Accel
Hey Guys

This one really works for me... the vocal is perfect and the tune is excellent.

Classic Rock sense with a twist of The Band, Creedence, The Who, Bruce, Tom Petty
and many more, a real kick back to a lost style...
Loved the lyric and the arrangement, no nits or suggestions smile

Well maybe one sugesstion I hear a cowbell in here somewhere.

Martin my buddy you are becoming more and more of two things a great composer
and artist and a musical tramp... big lol smile
Hey Clint,

It kind of works in reverse for me in that I feel that I can sing another lyric with conviction simply because I didn't write it!

Also when I read a lyric that has structure and the higher the level of quality the more the song literally "sings" itself to me as I'm reading it!

This song just sung to me heart and it wrote itself.

Thanks for dropping in Clint and saying such nice things on behalf of this little collab! Appreciated muchly!

Martin / Accel
I missed this one somehow. This just gets better as it goes along. Love the bridge and it does seem very country at the start, but seems to evolve into more rock at the end. This was very enjoyable and great lyrics, Bobbie.

Rick
Thanks Joanne,

With lyrics like this anything is possible!

So glad you enjoyed it Joanne! Thanks for your support!

Martin / Accel
Hey Mike,

Your analogy is right on the money!

Creedance was the first influence for this tune. I literally started playing this tune by deconstruction "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", but it starting going in other directions and I just followed.

Maybe the cowbell in the chorus perhaps? In the back of the mix not upfront?

Thanks for your undying support and suggestions.

Always a pleasure talking with you. How's your phone holding out?

We are long over due for a good phone burn!

Martin / Accel
Hey Rick,

It does a rock n' roll thing at the end of the bridge,which to me signified this characters involvement in music and the blowing off of musical steam as well as the good times one experiences just being around music and in the presence of music being played and I thought rock n' roll would fit that part well

After that the song switches gears and returns to its regular format.

It does me well to know that you enjoyed it and much of the song was already written by Bobbie before I became involved with it.

Thanks for listening and responding Rick.

Martin / Accel
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards