JPF Home Page

West World...

Posted By: John Lawrence Schick

West World... - 01/14/17 09:39 PM

They used one of my piano rags on West World. Ironic because I just composed two piano saloon tracks last week. I reckon I know what publisher will get those. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 12:30 AM

YAY, John! smile smile smile

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaMarilyn
YAY, John! smile smile smile

Thanks Donna! I'm always surprised to get these kind of gigs. I checked out the full crew for this TV series. Unbelievable how many people are involved. I didn't count all the credits, but I bet there was a thousand people working in this series. Don't know how they afford to pay them all. grin

Best, John smile
Posted By: Marvin Adcock

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 04:56 PM

Congrats John! What a great way to start the new year pal, and I'm sure there will be many more to come in 2017!
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 05:14 PM

Good deal, John!

Ricki

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 08:48 PM

Thanks Marvin and Ricki!

Best, John smile
Posted By: Michael Zaneski

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 10:36 PM

Hi John,

Big time congrats!!!

Westworld's season one was great. Easily my favorite thing on TV since The Leftovers. Season two won't be starting 'til 2018 so we'll have to wait to hear where they place it, but it will probably be something that the player piano, an integral cast member, spits out.

I'm absolutely thrilled for you, John. smile

Mike

Re: West World... - 01/15/17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi John,

Big time congrats!!!

Westworld's season one was great. Easily my favorite thing on TV since The Leftovers. Season two won't be starting 'til 2018 so we'll have to wait to hear where they place it, but it will probably be something that the player piano, an integral cast member, spits out.

I'm absolutely thrilled for you, John. smile

Thanks Mike! Already been placed. It aired on December 12, 2016.

Best, John smile

Mike
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: West World... - 01/18/17 03:00 PM

I always think of creepy menacing piano edging on experimental when I think of stuff you used to post here... or am I wrong? I definitely heard your work as Mike is right.that saloon piano is integral, as is a behind the scenes one as well.

Re: West World... - 01/18/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney
I always think of creepy menacing piano edging on experimental when I think of stuff you used to post here... or am I wrong? I definitely heard your work as Mike is right.that saloon piano is integral, as is a behind the scenes one as well.

Yeah the creepy menacing stuff is one of my specialties Brian. laugh But I have a large selection of pleasant/ fun stuff as well. I prefer the minor mode. Seems to be filled with more compositional possibilities.

Best, John smile

Re: West World... - 01/18/17 10:29 PM

Wondering if you can burn dvd's from HBO??? My sis has HBO. I could get her to burn me one. The episode was "Bicamoral Mind.

John smile
Posted By: Kurt Fortmeyer

Re: West World... - 01/19/17 07:29 PM

Awesome! Congratulations.

Re: West World... - 01/19/17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt Fortmeyer
Awesome! Congratulations.

Thanks Kurt!

Best, John smile

Re: West World... - 01/21/17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by John Lawrence Schick

Yeah the creepy menacing stuff is one of my specialties Brian. laugh But I have a large selection of pleasant/ fun stuff as well. I prefer the minor mode. Seems to be filled with more compositional possibilities.

Best, John smile

I wish you'd sent me that menacing stuff for the awards, though what you sent is well done, when it was my turn to listen, I was surprised it wasn't like what I was used to.
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich

Re: West World... - 01/21/17 01:46 PM

congrats john! well deserved.

Re: West World... - 01/21/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Emmrich
congrats john! well deserved.

Thanks Kevin! And for getting rid of the spam.

Best, John smile

Re: West World... - 01/21/17 04:00 PM

Best, John smile

I wish you'd sent me that menacing stuff for the awards, though what you sent is well done, when it was my turn to listen, I was surprised it wasn't like what I was used to.

Sometimes I'll compose for a specific purpose - like all the saloon tracks I did this week. Other times it's just a mood I'm in that dictates the direction.

Best, John smile

Re: West World... - 01/21/17 04:04 PM

Best, John smile

Sometimes I'll compose for a specific purpose - like all the saloon tracks I did this week. Other times it's just a mood I'm in that dictates the direction. Oh, and I have multiple dreams every night (probably the magnesium citrate I take), often I'll follow the dream with a mood.

Best, John smile
Posted By: niteshift

Re: West World... - 01/26/17 05:11 PM

Well done John !

I'll bet those royalty checks will be long and steady. smile

cheers, niteshift

Re: West World... - 01/26/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by niteshift
Well done John !

I'll bet those royalty checks will be long and steady. smile

cheers, niteshift

I always say the money is only secondary. Though nobody believes me. smirk

Best, John smile

Re: West World... - 01/26/17 11:01 PM

will you get repaid in long term use (like when it shifts to Netflix etc...)?

Re: West World... - 01/26/17 11:23 PM

will you get repaid in long term use (like when it shifts to Netflix etc...)?

Yes, using my "Gotham" royalties as an example. It aired on October 2014. I'm still receiving royalties via Reruns, Netflix, International,etc. I have a track titled "Island Rhythm" that has been generating ASCAP royalties every quarter for the last seven years. Shows like Brain Games, Impractical Jokers, Pawn Stars, Say Yes to the Dress, etc... Continue to show up in reruns, Netflix, and International. So yes, as long as the placement is still showing on TV (USA or International) the royalties keep coming - though reruns pay less.

John smile

Re: West World... - 01/26/17 11:30 PM

I am working on an article about digital royalties which is interesting to learn about. Someday I'd love for you to teach me how your royalty streams are working on the placement side. That would be a good follow up to this one.

Re: West World... - 01/27/17 01:25 AM

I am working on an article about digital royalties which is interesting to learn about. Someday I'd love for you to teach me how your royalty streams are working on the placement side. That would be a good follow up to this one.

Yes, interesting watching the development of streams. As far as placement streams, ASCAP pays me for Amazon Video On Demand, Crackle, Hula (pays the most), Nokia, Rhapsody, Microsoft Movies, and Netflix.

Netflix pays well too, though I think of that as a TV extension.

John smile

Re: West World... - 01/29/17 11:20 PM

Interesting that Hulu pays the most. I wonder why?

Re: West World... - 01/30/17 02:15 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have said that about Hula. They may just have been using more of my tracks. Netflix pays well also. Though thatís basically TV royalties, not Internet. I've also been receiving upfront money for Internet streams & mp3 downloads (downloads for personal listening only). Anyway, there are a lot of avenues to pursue.

John smile

Re: West World... - 01/30/17 07:26 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have said that about Hula. They may just have been using more of my tracks. Netflix pays well also. Though thatís basically TV royalties, not Internet. I've also been receiving upfront money for Internet streams & mp3 downloads (downloads for personal listening only). Anyway, there are a lot of avenues to pursue.

John smile

You do mean Hulu and not Hula right?

Re: West World... - 01/30/17 09:53 AM

John smile

You do mean Hulu and not Hula right?

Yeah Brian. laugh
Posted By: Douglas Murphy

Re: West World... - 02/01/17 09:24 PM

Congratulations John. Way to go!

Douglas

Re: West World... - 02/01/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas Murphy
Congratulations John. Way to go!

Douglas