JPF Home Page
Posted By: Dream Machine Beginner - 11/25/05 12:50 AM
Hi, I'm completly new to all this and was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've been reading some online FAQ's and whatnot but I'm finding it very confusing working out just what to get. I have a keyboard (PSR-175) and was wondering if I could get a controller for it to make midi music. Is this plausible? Or should I get something completly new?
Posted By: hugo Re: Beginner - 11/26/05 07:43 PM
hi,

Your PSR-175 is ok if you're starting to explore. You can hook it up to your computer by way of it's midi port. Of course, you'll need a cable. And a program on the computer, too.

That kind of program is called a sequencer. You might want to start with something relatively inexpensive, like PG Music's PowerTracks for windows (if that's what you're using) http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

That same company makes Band-in-a-box, a program that can play a midi accompaniment for you.

You can also check out Cakewalk's programs at http://www.cakewalk.com/homemusicians.asp

I hope that's enough to get you started. Feel free to follow up with more questions.
Posted By: Dream Machine Re: Beginner - 11/26/05 11:36 PM
Thanks I'll make sure to look into getting one of those [Linked Image]

Also I've heard of something that you can hook up to your keyboard that can loop whatever you've just played (I think, or is this fantasy? lol) It's hard for me to describe, it's what this guy does in the song 'The CN tower...' Just for a reference [Linked Image]

http://www.myspace.com/finalfantasyeternal

Thanks for the help [Linked Image]
Posted By: hugo Re: Beginner - 11/27/05 07:50 PM
Looping's easy to do. Many of the programs can do it. You'll find all sorts of cool things possible.

You might consider checking out the music section of a local bookstore and browsing any books they have on midi. Then again, you might not find any, depending on the store. Have fun!
Posted By: mattbanx Re: Beginner - 11/27/05 10:39 PM
Hugo:

I downloaded audacity from the link you supplied.
Although I only believe in playing my instruments, it is a neat little toy.
That can help me work with my timing.

I think you directed me to another good, informative site too.

Matt
Posted By: Dream Machine Re: Beginner - 11/28/05 01:06 AM
Thanks again for all the help [Linked Image]

I have got some basic software now and yes Looping is rather easy lol, I'm gonna play around with all the features for a while till I get some knowledge and then hopefully progress [Linked Image]

Thanks again [Linked Image]
Posted By: hugo Re: Beginner - 11/28/05 06:30 PM
Glad to help, guys [Linked Image]
Posted By: jellynet Re: Beginner - 12/22/05 01:16 AM
If you have a mac, or any intentions to get one you can use garage band. It is not really "professional" but it has all the features that I used in most other programs to make music with. I think you will find garage band to be quite a nice program to learn to play music on.

If you have a pc, then I second the choice of cakewalk software.

------------------

Learning Piano Notes
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards