JPF Home Page
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 12/24/08 06:53 AM
I am thinking of getting Ivory piano. Maybe Santa will bring me it.... anyone use this? Is it worth the 40 gig storage needed?
Posted By: Kaley Willow Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 01/12/09 09:14 PM
I remember someone mentioning that software...Jim,....but I can't remember if it's Jim Coffey or Bill Scull....If I find out
I'll let you know.

P.S... smile Hope you got it.......

best
Kaley

Posted By: Larry Williams Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 01/28/09 04:12 AM
Don't know how I missed this one. I've had Ivory for several years. Best-sounding sampled piano I've heard. Don't use it on an old weak computer though. It's pretty CPU intensive and memory intensive when you load the big Bosendorfer.

Thanks Larry. I have decided not to install it. It is too big. However my pal can have it for his studio. He has a PC that will do it justice and the know how to put it to best use. I can get accesss anytime.
Posted By: Erick Anderson Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 07/24/09 09:22 PM
I've also heard good things about Pianoteq 3, which is way less CPU intensive and less than 1 gig.....
Ivory is great, but you should get a separate hard drive for that and other samples if you're going to install all 6 dvds lol..
Yeah, I'm still considering Ivory too Jim. I heard it's the best.

I have Akoustik Piano from Native Instruments and the piano that comes with the East West orchestra. I prefer the East West piano. But I may be purchasing the Ivory piano soon.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 07/28/09 08:01 AM
Found this... seems like the ultimate 'make your own decision' site:

[color:#00CCCC][b]Digital Piano Shootout[/b][/color]

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: BettieR Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 10/22/09 04:03 PM
Wow, Ian, the Digital Piano Shootout is awesome!

Re Ivory, I've had it for a few years now. Love it. I run Mac, and keep the samples on a separate drive from the main boot drive.

I also like the pianos on Logic Pro 8. For a film score I just finished (my first), I did EVERYTHING internal, all softsynth. There were only 2 cues that required piano, and I used Ivory blended with a bit of the Logic piano. And for most of the other cues, I used a Logic 8 Rhodes-like sound.

You synth lovers might want to check out Omnisphere. I'm really passionate about Omnisphere (by Spectrasonics). Here's a link to some videos about Omnisphere (the new version of Atmosphere, which it has replaced):
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.php

Can't say enough about it. Many of the sounds start organically, sort of what John Cage would be doing today with all of the tools we've got now. For instance, one of the samples started with the sound that the filament makes inside a light bulb. OR a patch called "The Burning Piano" - which I believe they show on one of the videos. Yep, they took an old upright, put some mics near it, and took a blow torch to it, and then did their Steam Engine magic to the sounds the burning piano and popping strings created.

Best,
Bettie

Congratulations on your film score Bettie. I visited your website. I’m very impressed with your talent.

Omnisphere looks great! I may purchase it in the future. I’m still using the East/West piano and NI Akoustic Piano (and yes, I like some of the pianos in Logic 8). The Ivory piano is definitely on my future “purchase” list. I’ve also heard good results from the Garritan piano sample (the $99 special).

I also have Logic 8. I heard the Logic 9 upgrade solved the quirky tempo change dilemma.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Best, John
The studio has been using Ivory for a while now and it surpasses all expectations.....it does take a huge chunk of memory but is well worth it. If you can afford it go for it.

Virtual guitar is another stunner and well worth looking into if you cannot play or want the ease of not having to faff about laying down a part....just like having real guitars at your fingertips. They feature on some of my recent tracks.
The studio has been using Ivory for a while now and it surpasses all expectations.....it does take a huge chunk of memory but is well worth it. If you can afford it go for it.

Virtual guitar is another stunner and well worth looking into if you cannot play or want the ease of not having to faff about laying down a part....just like having real guitars at your fingertips. They feature on some of my recent tracks.
Posted By: pRISCILLA Re: Anyone use Ivory Piano software. - 01/18/10 09:54 PM
I'd go for pianoteq, it has a nice sound and it's not cpu consuming. I'm actually using my own roland sample from my stage piano roland rd-700sx, so just out of the synth and I do really like it. But i have tried in some friend's studio both Ivory, pianoteq and The Grand. Ivory is the best but get it if you have a gear to go with, or if you make solo piano.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards