JPF Home Page
Posted By: December X Will Toontrack come up with EZ bass? - 03/22/12 07:43 PM
I think alot of people underestimate bass in their recordings, not only does good bass sound fuller, and create the groove, but the actual lines, can be part of the song itself.

And a few home recordists have told me it's hard to get a good sound from bass, and it;s hard to mix right.

And lets face it, just cause we play guitar, doe snot mean we are REAL bass players when we play it.

Ez bass would seem like a reasonable step for toontrack being they have ez drummer and ez piano.

Then ez singer, ez dancemoves, ez windwill, ez wardrobe malfunction.
Posted By: Mike Dunbar Re: Will Toontrack come up with EZ bass? - 04/11/12 04:27 PM
Great idea, DRS.

They might do it, but basic "groove" bass, in my opinion, has more variables to it than "groove" drums. You can, in EZDrummer, paste some measures, add some randomness to humanize it and you get fairly close to a real drummer. One difference, for example, with bass is in the cut off of the note.

Very few drum hits have a controlled cut off. You can grab a cymbal or close a high hat, but toms, bd's and snares are rarely cut off. A good bassist continually varies the length of the note to make the groove specific to a section of the song, or to make the snare hit have it's own window. They can vary the note lengths to match the lyric of the song or the rhythmic pattern of the melody.

Still, for many bedroom studios such a program could produce adequate results.

I'm waiting for ez audience.

Mike
I second that! although it also helped a lot when I bought a modulus (coming from a Peavey).. the recorded sound was much better and more consistent.
I am not sure what VST my studio uses as a preference as most of the time we use a real bass. It is simpler and easier....we know a lot of great bassists. Mike is right it is better to get the inflections from a real player than messing around with samples. These guys are always around the studio and can do things in a couple of takes at most. Worth looking into for a pro demo but there are a lot of very good bass programs for rough or home demos.
Posted By: December X Re: Will Toontrack come up with EZ bass? - 07/30/12 04:54 PM
In a perfect world, everything would be live instruments.

But when writing and singing and playing one instrument is priority its very difficult to master everything.
Posted By: Kolstad Re: Will Toontrack come up with EZ bass? - 01/13/13 10:47 PM
How about this one.. http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/trilian.php

It's crazy good! I use it with a guitar that has a midi pickup, so it's played real, and the samples are real basses.

Remember a recording of a bass, is in fact a sampled bass wink
Posted By: Kolstad Re: Will Toontrack come up with EZ bass? - 01/26/19 09:59 PM
Toontrack EZ Bass is actually happening now in 2019
https://www.toontrack.com/toontrack-20-years/
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards