It's alot easier to be seen and heard today. You could even be world famous from internet music, but not have any money to show for it.

If you can sell out big venues, arenas, stadiums, you should have no problem making money in music. But there's only so many venues and so many days in the year, to accommodate everybody who makes music. And also, so many public dollars to spend.

I remember when I was a kid, Because there was no internet, I didnt get to hear thousands, even millions of songs, because the only way to really hear them was to buy them. Working a paper route, I was lucky to buy my absolute favorites once a month.

MTV change it somewhat, you could hear alot more music than you could ever buy simply by watching MTV 24/7. When it first came out, i was glued to it, probably the first two years, then it got boring because the same stuff was in the rotation, it was pretty much like top 40 radio after a while. But I can assure you, I would never heard MEN WITHOUT HATS, or ADAM and The ANTS, MISTER MISTER, Missing Persons, Till Tuesday, The Buggles, Tommy Tutone, The Romantics, Triumph, the list goes on and on, if not for MTV, i certainly wouldnt be able to buy it all.

Now, todays MTV is youtube, and streaming services. You can hear hundreds of songs per day if you want to, all for free.

In that way, it's BETTER for the artist. Ive heard more music since the internet started, than i had previously my whole life. It's a great way to be seen/heard, it's just that nobody can or will pay for it all.

As I said, you could be world famous and not have any money to show for it.