Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Goldroom
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:40 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,001
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,001 |
I'm an in the machine and plugin user. But I record live instruments with mics. There are somethings that are just too amazing in a computer that can't be done in a standalone box. My goto reverb is Altiverb. It's a convolution reverb which means it's a real room, and as long as you have an IR sample of a room, you can be "in" any room - it beats any external box for realism in spacial quality. The only thing better is to record in the actual space.
There are some boxes that are amazing, there are some plugins that are amazing. There is no be all end all. Everyone will find something that is musical to them. Even so, you have to get to know your medium that you're using. Like in the instance of synthesizers, I like the ones that come with Logic and never gave them much thought beyond that. Then in January a buddy of mine introduced me to the Virus. It's a high end synth that costs about $2500 or so. I heard it and now I want one bad, it's got such amazing character. I've started talking to the company that makes it and will likely pick one up before too long. Another cool feature for the Virus, it has a direct interface for Logic Pro (I like that for ease of use).
I prefer the ease of computers for recording. Rather than a dedicated box for mobile recording like a Roland or Korg, I'd prefer to use a laptop and a small firewire interface. That allows me to use the same program and file format so I don't have to dump things between programs. Very effective and every bit as portable.
I have a friend who has been in the biz a long time. He's had about every piece of high end gear you can think of. He really dig's the UA plugins for the UAD. Says they're every bit as good or better than the external boxes they emulate. I have no reason to doubt him, he knows his stuff and has great ears.
Jody
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,099
Posts1,185,826
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"First came if only? Then came what if? After that I'll bet. Next was just maybe. Followed by Aha, I thought so! And eventually, okay, what next!" -Brian Austin Whitney on the stages of creativity and Just Plain Folks.
|
|
|
|