Originally Posted by Hummingbird
Just a reminder that the songwriters' share of a #1 hit song might be $20,000 or so... hardly enough to cover the legal fees.

It is my contention, as someone who gives feedback on songwriting forums, that I do so freely of my own will, and that, without reservation, all my comments and feedback belong unreservedly to the writer of the song. Otherwise I wouldn't freely offer my help, or press "enter" after writing my suggestions.


Don't know where you got that figure from But the only songwriter I have ever personally talked to that had a hit in the top ten, and told me how much she earned, on the Country charts had a Co-writer. They gave the publisher 50 percent. So Her cut was only 25 Percent,
Her first royalty check was $90,000.00
That was about 4 years ago. As far as I know the checks are still coming.

I believe CD Mechanical royalties are 9.1 cents. Usually the Publisher gets half. So if you are the only writer that is about 4.5 cents per CD. 1 Million CD's $45,000.00 and that does not include airplay where the real money is.

So I think there is more than enough incentive to sue.


Bill
http://www.soundclick.com/billrobinson
http://www.dreamqueststudio.com
Skype; bill.robinson12

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." --Thomas Jefferson didn't say it

http://voidnow.org/
http://www.americansworking.com/