|
11 members (KyleCrawford, texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Bill Draper, Guy E. Trepanier, Sunset Poet, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, bennash, 2 invisible),
53,757
guests, and
5,596
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Bill Draper - 09/30/26 02:55 PM
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,490
Top 20 Poster
|
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,490 |
John Newton fascinates me. As a young man, he was enslaved on an English naval ship, and all sorts of terrible things happened to him. Apparently, almost all of the information we know about the atrocities of slave ships comes from John Newton's accounts of them. A few months ago, I wrote a song about him. Seems appropriate to post it here!
Can't Get Enough of Your Sweet Sound
I listened to your song for years Not understanding through deaf ears Until the day I could finally hear Here's to you John Newton...for turning it around
CHORUS Now I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
If Amazing Grace could save a wretch like you Maybe it can save one such as me Like you, I once was blind But now I try to see
And I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
Through many dangers, toils and snares You taught of one who truly cares Who always stops to answer prayers Here's to you John Newton...you were so profound
CHORUS Now I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
If Amazing Grace could save a wretch like you Maybe it can save one such as me Like you, I once was blind But now I try to see
And I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
Way back in seventeen forty eight You lived those words that still write my fate Your story proves it's not too late Here's to you John Newton...you still astound
CHORUS Now I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
If Amazing Grace could save a wretch like you Maybe it can save one such as me Like you, I once was blind But now I try to see
And I can't get enough of your sweet sound Can't get enough of your sound
Ending Here's to you John Newton....you've heaven bound! And I can't get enough of your sound
(c) 2011 Lisa Gundling
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,060
Posts1,185,721
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|