Who's Online Now
8 members (Fdemetrio, texritter, Everett Adams, bennash, Michael W. Brown, Sunset Poet, 2 invisible), 65,889 guests, and 6,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Just Another Copyright Lawsuit...
by John Lawrence Schick - 10/05/26 05:51 AM
Billy's Top 5(awesome)
by Fdemetrio - 10/05/26 12:04 AM
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by bennash - 10/04/26 08:07 AM
Parmount Theater Ashland
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/04/26 12:37 AM
Post Sex Nachos
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 11:52 PM
Yungchen Lhamo, Tibetan, Manhattan
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 09:59 PM
Sugarbeats! Kel's Tavern, Ashland KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 03:35 PM
Barnably Bright, The Cutting Room
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 12:28 AM
Kasador, Kingston, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 11:32 PM
Alone: A New Musical
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 10:31 PM
Caryn Dixon
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/01/26 11:48 PM
The Image In My Head
by texritter - 10/01/26 09:30 PM
Odyssey of the End Times
by KyleCrawford - 10/01/26 06:49 PM
Done with this Day
by bennash - 10/01/26 01:37 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
Mark Berry of AMG
by Everett Adams - 10/01/26 06:14 AM
Ellis Frawley
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 11:05 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
It's All An Illusion
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 04:08 PM
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
rosecoloredworld
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:01 PM
Patrizia Jazz Vocalist
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:24 AM
Red Bicycle Hall, Madison IN
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:13 AM
My Heart Stop Beating And Said Damn You
by bennash - 09/29/26 10:16 PM
Good Morning America
by bennash - 09/29/26 07:53 PM
Money Money
by Rob B. - 09/28/26 06:23 PM
Bayside, Charleston SC
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 08:32 AM
Valerie June
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 01:34 AM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,136
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,153
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,571
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,030
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Well I worked through a melodic idea, although the song is not complete, obviously, so I will ask all those who have been following this thread how far should we go? Would you like exercises, or continue specifically with the song? Should we discuss some other element like rhythms? Or have we played out the thread? I leave it to you to decide how much more you would like to do.

Otherwise, we had a second lyric which was actually a poem by Eugene Field. It will go through a similar process, but since it is what I perceive to be more of lullaby based on the words and subject matter, I suspect it will be more adventurous melodically.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Jack speaking for myself I do not really care which way you go. Just do not stop. Whatever you decide this exercise will still be of a huge benefit to all us learners and perhaps some experienced writers have picked up a few pointers as well. However not seeing it out to the end and the finished product is like watching a cookery lesson without tasting the pie. You have to taste the pie to appreciate how all the ingredients have been put together.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589
Likes: 1
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589
Likes: 1
My vote is that you finish this one, compose the bridge, and describe rhythm and suggested instrumentation or approach.

But then it gets more difficult, and going further opens a big old can of worms, especially if we record it and talk about the issues a songwriter addresses upon hearing a first pass. I'd leave that up to Jack.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,831
Likes: 2
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,831
Likes: 2
It's all good stuff. I would like to hear this song, its melody, and all the accompaniments and what you were thinking while you developed all that.

Yes, we must taste the pie.


A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be,
he must be. -- Abraham Maslow, American Psychologist
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
No posts for a coupls of days. Has this thing died?

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
No, it hasn't died. The next steps for me will require some time to work out things with an instrument and I have had other things to do that have kept me away. I will continue in a couple of days. I played music Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon I was playing lead guitar for some four or five different singers at a benefit. Then the thermostat on my heater started misbehaving so I had to replace it, on the coldest day of the year. I just haven't had the time where I could devote some careful thought to proceed. Tonight I am playing again, so as I said it will be a few days before I can continue.

Last edited by Jack Swain; 02/12/08 02:57 PM.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Thanks Jack. Not trying to rush you. You take your time.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
To those awaiting the next segment, I am sorry for the delay, but I just haven't had time to sit down with a clear head to work on it. I hope to have something up tomorrow evening, but I probably won't get a chance before then. I will be playing again this evening and will be too tired to work on it when I get in. I intended on working on it this weekend, but I have been under the weather and slept almost all day to recuperate.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
S
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
S
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
Two and a half octaves and the second octave will be in falseto.


But Good singers do not have this range generally Freddie Mercury and Steven Tyler yes they are exceptional.

Most singers have a one octave and three not maximum regardless of any falsetto.

Most songs would not be written in more thatn one octave and three notes, We aint writing for Martians.

No Great singers dont have two and a half octaves range.

It's the quality Joe Cocker has a limited range, but it's the quality. Mark and Jim are correct in comments about vocal range

SPLIT






Have been working at E.M.I. Hayes U.K. in many departments starting as Tea Boy and worked through to A and R, New Artist Management,
Co Writing , with Boy Bands, and some solo acts
I have always played in bands,

SPLIT LEVEL
psuedonymn of course to many thieves and robbers on the web these days
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Bump

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Bump again. Have we forgotten about this? Anybody feel this should continue? Jack have you stopped with this? Does anybody else want to contribute?

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,831
Likes: 2
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,831
Likes: 2
Hi Jim,

I am grateful for what I have learned thus far on this post alone. smile Jack has been most generous with his time. It would be a bonus to hear a melody with it at some future point and maybe there's others out there who have followed along and have ideas for a melody and want to share...that would always be fun to hear as well! Always fun to see creative minds at work! But like I said, I am very appreciative of what this post has already accomplished. smile


A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be,
he must be. -- Abraham Maslow, American Psychologist
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Hi Kristi I am in total agreement. A lot of folk would have learned from this project and would like to see it finished. Pity it just petered out.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589
Likes: 1
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589
Likes: 1
Jack has been kind enough to invest his time and energy writing that song in public. He mentioned being very busy, and I sure can relate to that...most of my posts are stepping in and out of the office at work...I can post plenty, but in between I'm also making pizzas, talking to vendors and customers, lining up advertising, doing inventory...one thing I couldn't do is write a song. I think we owe it to Jack to have a little more patience and hear his thoughts before we declare this dead.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
I would also like to thank Jack for his work in this. It is very much appreciated and I think I can speak for most folk who read or participated in this thread. I would not like to put any demands on anyone. I was just wondering if Jack has put this on hold or if he has decided that he cannot devote any more time to it and if anyone else wanted to pick up the reins.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Hi all, I haven't abandoned this, I have just been either very busy performing, just plain too tired to think, or my current situation which is fighting a cold and chest conjestion, and not feeling like I have it in me to work on something. I also do not have a convenient way to record anything to post, but I will try to get back to it as I promised.

The last time I thought I would have a few hours to work on it I had a friend call and ask me to do some antique furniture repair and needed it immediately so that he could sell it. It took that evening and the next three away from me. When I am too tired I cannot get anywhere trying to work on music, so I don't even try.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Thanks Jack. Do not push yourself take your time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,074
Posts1,185,767
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
Rachel Theresa (45)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,375,773 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5