Who's Online Now
5 members (texritter, bennash, Guy E. Trepanier, Everett Adams, 1 invisible), 39,468 guests, and 5,853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by Rob B. - 10/07/26 12:29 PM
Billy's Top 5(awesome)
by bennash - 10/07/26 08:19 AM
David Guetta
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/06/26 09:46 PM
Coffee To Go
by Rob B. - 10/06/26 02:04 PM
Infinite Hills Productions, Bellevue KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 11:34 PM
Schaffer Brothers Band, Grand Junction CO
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:43 PM
Landing, Portsmouth OH
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:30 PM
Do Nothing
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:21 PM
Johnny Marr, London
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 09:30 PM
Andrea von Kampen, Boulder
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 08:47 PM
John Fellner, London, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 03:34 PM
Just Another Copyright Lawsuit...
by bennash - 10/05/26 12:01 PM
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
Parmount Theater Ashland
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/04/26 12:37 AM
Post Sex Nachos
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 11:52 PM
Yungchen Lhamo, Tibetan, Manhattan
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 09:59 PM
Sugarbeats! Kel's Tavern, Ashland KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 03:35 PM
Barnably Bright, The Cutting Room
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 12:28 AM
Kasador, Kingston, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 11:32 PM
Alone: A New Musical
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 10:31 PM
Caryn Dixon
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/01/26 11:48 PM
The Image In My Head
by texritter - 10/01/26 09:30 PM
Odyssey of the End Times
by KyleCrawford - 10/01/26 06:49 PM
Done with this Day
by bennash - 10/01/26 01:37 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
Mark Berry of AMG
by Everett Adams - 10/01/26 06:14 AM
Ellis Frawley
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 11:05 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
It's All An Illusion
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 04:08 PM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,136
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,153
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,573
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,032
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,195
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,195
Likes: 1
Myself, I think I write about 70% for the audience and 30% for me.

Tom


Thomas Shea

Thomas Shea - Songwriting
http://www.soundclick.com/thomasshea

Justice - Songs
http://www.soundclick.com/justice-nebraska

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
When I first wrote with some knowledge in me, with Buddy Holcombe, starting in 1976, we wrote for us. Our writing times were entertainment for us around my upright. If we liked what we started, we worked on it. If we didn't for any reason, we didn't.

That was a 30 year collaboration of writing songs that we both loved writing, playing and singing. (One reason we did not have marketable songs), although we and others thought of them as good in several ways. No regrets! For the times spent was all based in FUN! All of our endeavors, no matter the business outcome, was done in FUN of those times as well.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to write for others, that we may not have liked as much, and still not have cuts! For what?

Same with the band's songs. if we wrote for the audience, what audience would that be? There are all ages now that come out to hear bands. So, just by natural ways, we wrote or brought our songs to the band that we wrote for each one of us. Iggy had his personal songs, Roon had his. Marnie and Doc had theirs! I had mine. We all enjoyed listening to them over and over,,,,I hope anyway!!!!). It seemed like we all did.

FUN in music is what floats my boat.

Buddy and I were told over and over that we should listen to what is on the radio and write similar songs, as we have talent for song-crafting. We choose to do our own music, (Daubert and Holcombe Music). And glad and proud of it, and the times we had, and for Buddy's friendship and the band's.

No regrets. Great freakin times you can maybe only imagine.

100% We wrote for us. We just hoped some others would like it too. We knew it was not good business wise.


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522





Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,427
Likes: 16
Top 50 Poster
Offline
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,427
Likes: 16
Our songs are never about us. They are about the relationships and the emotional connections we build with our audiences. having said that, there should be a huge part of ourselves in every song. Our heart mind spirit and guts should be in each line and note.

But you never let the facts get in the way of a good story and while you might even be talking about something else, you should have your own feelings, emotions and attitudes mixed in with the facts.

People want to hear something they can relate their own experiences to. The most sincere compliment a writer can get is someone coming up and saying "You wrote that for me" or "That is my life."

If you write reality, chances are most people are experiencing the same thing. Write it right and they will want to "purchase that" with their time, money and tell others about it.

Do that over and over again, and you have a viable recording. Do it millions of times and you have a hit.

MAB

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,845
K
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
K
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,845
That's a tough one, Tom!

As long as we have a brain, we are kinda detached from what we call the 'real world', so I'm really not sure..

My body kinda goes with what my brain comes up with, listens to it, and then decide how to take it further.. laugh

I feel like an audience for my own ideas! The ideas are like cultural products ("the muse" comes with'em, right?), and my writing is then how I respond/or want to respond to that.

Hmm, is that the idiot's answer?

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,788
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,788
When I write for Jean or Beth or whomever gives us a challenge over on the Challenge Forum, or write on a whim outside of that, I write for the song fairy because I'm assuming it's she who whispers in my ears/mind/heart and I just put it down on paper. If it's great I can't take credit and if it isn't, I can say I had nothing to do with it and feel like I'm telling the truth. I tell you it's an out of body experience crazyand a complete rush! I don't feel like I write the songs but rather receive them smile


My Music at Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=788266

~call it a blessing or call it a curse, but I see all of life in verse~

Always open to collaborations smile

God Bless Our Military!!!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,904
Likes: 89
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,904
Likes: 89
Up till four years ago, I composed for myself (or put music to Cal DiFalco's lyrics). Now, 100% of the time it's for a specific project, some oddball listing, or a request, etc...

Still... I try to stay faithful to myself - and my impeccable taste. grin

John smile.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
It is usually a bit of both. Most of the songs I write are for my own entertainment. However you have to have one eye on what audiences want. Different rules apply to cowrites and commercial stuff like jingles etc.

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,650
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,650
I confess to being a complete commercial music whore.......

I always try and write what will sell.....I am not always successful in that obviously-but that is my orientation and inner soul as such.......in fact my even claiming to have a soul after 5 years in Nashville is itself blasphemous


surely headed for the fires of Hell

one of the fallen ones

yours truly

Tom

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Tricky stuff Tom

You can write what ever you feel like or for yourself as some put it and your audience FINDS you...
Or you try to write for the masses in one popular genre or another... Or or "in general" so to speak.

The big key is knowing that if your a songwriter & NOT an artists or band that those areas are very very limited commercially.

While writing and completing stuff for me is soooooo difficult and time consuming it is also has a very easy natural side at the same time as well. Why? Because when I write for myself I AM writing for an audience.
They are one in the same 80% of the time for me.. I do not know how to write complicated and I do not know how to not write catchy, or to be obscure. But I could fill a book with what "I don't know"

That is why I do not berate and appreciate a side of writers/artist like a Taylor Swift
She writes exactly what she wants 100% and the perfect age audience wants it 100%. So there is nothing contrived about it at all.. And I know for a FACT that if she sat next to me in the studio she would love my material and ideas instantly. I wouldn't have to try.

How do I know this for a fact? Because we have a kid here who does exactly what Taylor does, Only she is much younger and a superior singer.. And I often see & get her reactions when I show here a song or song idea...

The trick for me is doing that with a wide range of listeners making each one find the song/style they like and making them believe that is the ONLY way I write & play...

The 20% for myself is probably Instrumental music, as nobody in the main stream cares for it at all anymore....Unless it's club or rave.. Being able to play,perform, create & produce music on instruments is what being a musicians all about...

And the more "musician" you incorporate into "songwriting" the deeper and better you grow and become.. Not richer $ though smile




Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,263
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,263
Tom ... I don't sit down and write a song...it usually starts when I am fooling around with chord progressions or twinkling of strings...and if a tune appears I will scat it or whistle it or baby-language it until a good tune sort of forms...then the lyrics will come line at a time. Usually nothing is formed in the first draft of the fist verse. So, I don't write for myself or an audience initially. Nothing in mind until the song is formed...so, I dunno...I guess it's 50/50 in my case.

Stan

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403
I don't write for the audience--as I've said before (somewhere), my writing is a compulsion, not a talent--but I do want them to understand and appreciate it, so I do keep them in mind. The purpose of music, in my opinion, is communication, so I have to be sure I'm communicating. The audience are also my one and only judge whether something's "good." If they request it, I'll play it again, and if they don't, I will probably forget it. But I wrote it; it got out.

Joe

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,330
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,330
This was harder to answer than I thought. I usually write a song with a goal in mind. A lot of my liturgical songs are written to fulfill a need in worship. I don't usually sit down and say I want to "express" myself. Even the few secular songs I write usually have some sort of parameter involved. I feel that I have expressed myself creatively through the song writing process itself and that is usually where it ends. Essentially I want to create a song that others may want to listen and relate to, whether it is religious or secular. So to that extent, I guess I write for others. But on the other hand, I write to my own satisfaction in regard to standards, so in that way I write for myself.

I don't usually care too much for purely cathartic writing from others or myself, however at some point, I think we all subconsciously include some of our own opinions, attitudes and feelings in our creations. How could we not?

Perhaps the one area that I truly write for myself is instrumental music. I do compose that to please myself. I hope others will like it of course, but I don't keep the audience in mind at all when I write instrumental music. I write it just for the pleasure of exploring melodies and harmonies.




Please visit my facebook EZ3D PopUps for free papercraft templates. Great for beginners of all ages.

Favorite Sites:
http://facebook.com/EZ3DPopUps
http://ez3dpopups.blogspot.com/
http://harrietschock.com
http://jpfolks.com
http://phillipmartin.com


Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
"
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
"
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
HIYa Mz Jeanie B! Great Question.. I started reading a few of the Other's Answers/quit abruptly so I'd be totally-honest with my answer.

Somewhere along the line I learned to forget about Both Parameters. I write for The Ages.

I'd LIKE to leave at least ONE "Classic" Song BEHIND that somehow ENDURES..& clues-in the Generations-Ahead..that we HERE were a Fun Buncha Folks..who weren't "Totally Out of It"..and were, perhaps, worth Studying-Closer.

The Ancient Egyptians, for-instance, left Art..& Stone Pyramids... We-uns..are gonna leave a LONG trail of CDs, Cassettes, & Vinyl...(Already HAVE)...that'll have Scholars a-Buzzin' for Centuries & Milleniums to come.

Yeah, I pen ME into all these Little Efforts, & LOVE Entertaining YOU, each & every Time. But, it's THEM I always keep in-mind, Too. I'd LOVE to have My Thoughts, which are really OUR thoughts...Echo-Down as Close to Forever..as it gets.

Just Because.

Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,412
R
Top 30 Poster
Offline
Top 30 Poster
R
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,412
I write songs to pitch to Artists.


Ray E. Strode
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,195
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,195
Likes: 1
It seems that this is not usually an either or question. I also suppose that in some instances the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Tom


Thomas Shea

Thomas Shea - Songwriting
http://www.soundclick.com/thomasshea

Justice - Songs
http://www.soundclick.com/justice-nebraska

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 53
C
Helping Hand
Offline
Helping Hand
C
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 53
Good question! I dont think the two are mutually exclusive. I write because I enjoy it but I am writing with an audience in mind, you want people to hear your music and not think you suck. But admittedly, I cant hit a home run every time...so I definately have more then my share of "songs only a writer could love". And that is cool with me, I dont need to demo those or try and pitch them. You just need to be able to recognize what may have public appeal wand what songs are best kept in your own head.

Chad

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Oh they can seperate big time...
There are those who just sit and all they think about is PITCH, & Hit they steer the songs so much so that you can see how forced and contrived it is. This is especially what some Big Hip Hop hits do and Country Hits do. BUT this is the nature of the BUSINESS Of Songwriting. And the competition everyday factors..
Sometimes they hit that perfect middle - that middle is other songwriters and musicians say "wow this is great song, and it's catchy as hell, and it is COOL.... The fans will pick up on one or all of those points too.

The need to have new or even old titles and concepts that can be rehashed in a different angle or perspective is VERY demanding. And not an easy task..
It should always be easier to "Write WHATEVER you want" and that is why soooooo many can't or haven't yet written or had a hit..

Naturally followed by the impossible BREAK! smile


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,114
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,114
Things may be different in the case of a singer/songwriter.

Two examples: Bob Dylan never wrote for an audience (at least from what I understand from his interviews). He wrote thoughtful songs of the early 60's but was never personally involved in the protest movement, though they tried to get him involved. The audience found him. Remember his quote "I always considered myself a song and dance man". He played an electric set at Newport. That definitely was not for the audience. He was Booed, but survived.

John Prine plays anything that's on his mind. People buy his records and go to his concerts to see what's on his mind.

I can name a dozen others that are found by the audience and not the other way around. People want to be part of the show, and that means identifying with the performer.

Neil Young said "It's all about the music", partnerships be damned. Next to David Byrne, Young is the most diverse musician I've known of. He's tried everything and can still sell out a concert. The music is what brings the audience to you.

I struggle between writing songs and playing the instruments to make a decent recording. I don't have a band. The band is me. I would prefer other talent on my recordings but don't have that luxury.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 750
Likes: 2
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 750
Likes: 2
I write for myself. I have no clue who my audience is, as the people who like my stuff are so varied that it is hard to figure out what is common between them.


https://www.stonemarmot.com
Stone Marmot
Nouveau retro pop-rock music
Listen to our latest song “Girl Germs” at:
https://soundcloud.com/stone-marmot/girl-germs
and its music video at
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
"
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
"
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
Hey Andy...I FINALLY got a chance to view Your Video..and it's GREAT! What a HOOT!!! FUN Song..FINE Animation..Kicks BUTT!!!

Hooky-Hooky-HOOKY~~~ (I'm In-AWE!)

"KUDOS!"
Stan

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,041
Likes: 69
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,041
Likes: 69
As the songwriter, I am the first listener, the first audience. A song has to hook me with the first guitar part. I play it again and the hook-factor either hooks me or I keep exploring.

I am especially hooked by that first lyrical line, and must be, for me to want to know where the song can go. The guitar mood and rhythm hook me. Then some line I ad lib hooks me into the story implied in it. I begin to wonder what the singer-character in the song is talking about, what they will say next, what their situation is, where the story may go.

I'm writing for me, the first listener, the first audience. If I'm at a concert I'm the only one whose entertainment I'm concerned with. When I'm writing a song, I'm the only audience I'm concerned with. Hopefully, the next audience will enjoy it as much as I do, but I can't be concerned with them while I'm writing, and listening, and hooked by the germ of the song.

I hear a lot of songs I am skeptical the writer was truly hooked by, motivating them to write it, and suspect their mind was on something else while they wrote it. They weren't listening, weren't an enthralled audience for the work. They were writing with their focus somewhere else, marketing, prestige, money, something other than the mood, the story, the accompaniment.

Write for the first listener, the first audience, you, and, if you satisfy their sense of what's good in a song, odds are anyone else who hears it will appreciate it the same way you did.


There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 750
Likes: 2
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 750
Likes: 2
Thanks, Stan!


https://www.stonemarmot.com
Stone Marmot
Nouveau retro pop-rock music
Listen to our latest song “Girl Germs” at:
https://soundcloud.com/stone-marmot/girl-germs
and its music video at
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
I would probably have to say I write for both myself and for others...but it's not "others as in group masses"...I write about my life, sometimes my writing is the only way to get through a situation without any more damage than road rash LOL and I write about others which also is for me ...mostly it's fun for me but it amazes the person I write about...when people come over and talk me into playing for them I also spend time watching them, their eyes and body language and listen to what they converse about here and there through the visit...it's mostly their eyes for some reason that it comes to me...before long after watching and listening to someone I can write a song that basically sums up their life and emotions without even knowing them well...my grandmother called it a gift of being an old soul...I call it good observation, only thing is they are usually very good songs and it amazes the whole group there but I'm playing for fun and never can remember them after I sing them..hubby is gonna get a hand held recorder he said just so I can have these songs to play more than just a spur of the moment thing LOL

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,633
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,633
For myself... if others like it its a bonus smile




http://www.soundclick.com/noeldownsandfriends


Tolerance means if you don't like something you ignore it
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 1
Seeing as how I make no money from my music, and I don't really have an "audience", per se, it would be pretty silly to write for anyone else other than myself.
I like to keep myself entertained. That probably explains why I make some of the choices that I do.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
I think how you write depends on your level of success. It seems like when an artist is just starting out the songs are always for yourself. But when you start becoming more successful and gaining more fans, your songs naturally have to be for your fans.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 49
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 49
When I write, the inspiration is for me. Then I re-write the song to fit a larger demographic. It has to tell a story that appeals to a larger group of people than just me....but if I don't feel it in my heart I can't write it either.

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 514
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 514
I write entirely for myself as I never had an audience until the internet came along.

I write as a challenge for myself and because I simply can't help it, almost like I have too. The pleasure and enjoyment I get out of composing satisfies my soul, there is nothing that I can compare it too.

I've been writing songs and music for over 30 years and when I finished one, I would just put it aside and start on the next one, even my friends were not aware of what I did, they knew I had a guitar but most have never seen me play it, as I would always give it to someone else to play.

Writing for yourself does have it's advantages. You can do exactly what you want with out having to worry if someone else likes it or not. There is no pressure in any way shape or form. Artistic freedom is guaranteed.

It never bothered me that I had no audience but what do you do with all the songs and music that you have written when they are finished. Well for years I did nothing until I got a computer and then I could spend my time orchestrating and arranging, which brings me as much pleasure as the writing did. It also gave me the confidence in what I was doing because now my songs were infinitely more listen-able than just an acoustic guitar song.

The internet did not give me an audience because my music was never aimed at anybody, it was done for my own pleasure but that does not mean that other people could not enjoy it. It did give me the opportunity to allow other people to listen to it and if they like it, great but if they don't, it does not diminish the pleasure that I received doing it in the first place.

And now I have an audience without having to compromise my artistic integrity and my audience will appreciate what I do and it is always nice when somebody says they like it, and who doesn't need an ego boost every now and then. I receive payment in the form of pleasure and it is enough.





Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,003
Likes: 1
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,003
Likes: 1
ALL--
I have been writing since the 50's--I started out in the Air Force trying to do Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash type songs, but they were songs about me-- As I came from a similar background of these artists--All I needed was 4 Chords and a Cheap Stella guitar. As I look back at my style and content--there is a big element of my BIO in most of my songs--I write from the heart--keeping in mind to flag anything someone may be interested in Commercially--I have been writing 3-5 songs a week through this last year at the age of 72. It is partly, a compulsion, and a relief-- to pen a lyric that makes a universal statement. Over 200 of my lyrics are posted mostly on Forum #3. These songs are for many and varied reasons.

Like STAN THE MAN said--Leave one as a work of art--A "WIND BENEATH MY WINGS" type for the ages. Writers, especially old school, tend to simplify an idea and wear it out--New networking writers pen one for what's needed commercially--WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR--DOLLARS.

I may never get ONE in, but I do enjoy learning how to lay down an IDEA and drive IT HOME--whether for ME, YOU, OR THEM. There is a great deal of talent here at JPF. I am still learning and still writing--Maybe some of you read, on Forum #3, my lyric: WE ARE THE SONGWRITERS

IF NOT HERE IT IS AGAIN:

WE ARE THE SONG WRITERS
©2010 Mackie Humphries
V1
We are the song writers
Telling stories ‘bout ladies
Fast cars, drunks and guitars
A few words ‘bout winners
And some for the two timers
The freeloaders and loners
Lovers, haters and do-gooders
We are the song writers.
V2
We are the song writers
Making up excuses for losers
Cowboys, bulls and riders
Frontier days and rodeo clowns
Those bareback bronc champions
Ropers and dopers and chasers
Men, women who are cheaters
We are the song writers.
CH
We write the songs - for movers and shakers
We give them lives - screamers and day dreamers
We make the rhymes - for all the words and phrases
We do the meter - for all the players and singers.
BR
Cliches, Dialects and old sayings with accents
And double negatives and dangling participles
With dots, dashes, commas and special symbols
Why do we write? We can't help it.We're addicted
CH
We write the songs - for movers and shakers
We give them lives - screamers and day dreamers
We make the rhymes - for all the words and phrases
We do the meter - for all the players and singers.
TAG
We are the song writers............................

Write On YOUALL

Mackie



Last edited by Mackie H.; 08/13/10 07:43 PM.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,373
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,373
I would have to say I write mainly for myself. I began with writing poetry and when I kept getting comments from people saying certain ones should be songs I began trying lyrics. Most of my ideas and words come to me when I'm working. A phrase will pop into my head and I will write a poem or lyrics around it. I found writing to be a great stress reliever. Now that I want to improve I've come here and will write some based on the advice and observations of those here. I don't know if I'll ever have an audience so for now I will just continue to write for the pleasure of it.


Jennifer (Jinx) Shaner
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
I'd say it's always been about me for me.

Wanted to say I -used- to write for the audience, but when I really think about it... it's just used to be about me IN RELATION TO an audience. Now I'm pretty disinterested in what the audience thinks. (Though, my own standards are ridiculously high. I tend to think 90% or so of my original material is crap and it never sees the light of day, heh!)

For what it's worth, I started out as a cover song guy -- My PRIMARY motivation to start writing about fifteen years ago was an irritation at being compared to various original artists.

All hail the ego of a 20 year old musician. *laugh*

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 379
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 379
Most of my writing used to be just for myself, but now it's a little different. I still write for myself to get my feelings out of me, because writing songs is sometimes the only way I can deal with difficult things in my life, but also I write for an audience in mind. Like Puddleglum, before the Internet, I didn't have an audience except for myself and my close friends and family. Over the last year that I have been playing some live shows and getting my name out there, I have cultivated a tiny fanbase that does appreciate what I do. I don't have a large fanbase and I'm not making a lot of money off of my own stuff quite yet (I've sold a few CDs and MP3s though!), but that's not even why I write anyway. I write because I HAVE to or I go crazy! If someone says they appreciate my stuff, that's more than enough payment for me! smile

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,236
Likes: 4
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,236
Likes: 4
I've been writing for ages. I started with a journal, progressed to poetry, and then wrote short stories for over ten years. I had a long break where I didn't write when my two kids came along, but now I'm writing again. I guess I write for myself mainly. But I don't tend to write about myself directly. I suppose there's some of me in what I do, but I mostly try to avoid writing about myself (cause' I'm damn boring).

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,247
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,247
I write for myself, almost all of the time, unless I write a piece specifically for someone that I know and love.



Co-Write Friendly.....Look at my blog on My Space.

http://www.cherokee46x@yahoo.com
http://www.myspace.com/ronnievanzantfan
http://www.facebook.com/sambwilson

Ronnie Van Zant fan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,083
Posts1,185,779
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
Michael W. Brown (62)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,381,734 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5