Who's Online Now
9 members (Gary E. Andrews, Fdemetrio, Michael W. Brown, Sunset Poet, texritter, bennash, Everett Adams, 2 invisible), 34,444 guests, and 5,877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Coffee To Go
by John Voorpostel - 10/08/26 01:32 PM
Billy's Top 5(awesome)
by John Voorpostel - 10/08/26 01:28 PM
Sixteen Hands High, Adelaide, Oblivia Jean
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:14 PM
Audio Network
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 07:18 AM
Audio Network, Sydney
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 07:17 AM
Audio Network
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 07:16 AM
Nothing For Breakfast, Italy
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 07:01 AM
Landing, Portsmouth OH
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:30 AM
Jorma Kaukenen, San Francisco
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:12 AM
Joan Baez, at The Masonic
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:07 AM
Mark Bryan
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 12:55 AM
Asphodel Ivory
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:58 PM
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
Shapes The Band
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 10:53 PM
Shapes The Band, Toronto
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 10:51 PM
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by Sunset Poet - 10/07/26 06:02 PM
David Guetta
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/06/26 09:46 PM
Infinite Hills Productions, Bellevue KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 11:34 PM
Schaffer Brothers Band, Grand Junction CO
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:43 PM
Do Nothing
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:21 PM
Johnny Marr, London
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 09:30 PM
Andrea von Kampen, Boulder
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 08:47 PM
John Fellner, London, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 03:34 PM
Just Another Copyright Lawsuit...
by bennash - 10/05/26 12:01 PM
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
Parmount Theater Ashland
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/04/26 12:37 AM
Post Sex Nachos
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 11:52 PM
Yungchen Lhamo, Tibetan, Manhattan
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 09:59 PM
Sugarbeats! Kel's Tavern, Ashland KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 03:35 PM
Barnably Bright, The Cutting Room
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 12:28 AM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,138
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,155
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,574
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,033
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,895
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,895
Hey Mike,

Don't you get tired of people telling you how great you are? smile
Oh, all right! YOU ARE GREAT! YOU ARE WONDERFUL! WHEN CAN I GET MY HANDS ON THIS CD?

Love ya,

Ricki

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
Hey Mike,

Don't you get tired of people telling you how great you are? smile
Oh, all right! YOU ARE GREAT! YOU ARE WONDERFUL! WHEN CAN I GET MY HANDS ON THIS CD?

Love ya,

Ricki


Hey you!

No actually I don't because in my heart of hearts I truly don't believe that or feel as though I am. And I don't believe what I'm told alot smile

Also I'm terribly hard on myself and have far more insight then I do talent. That insight knows the differences between everything. So I'm as grounded as the next real person.
And I got a huge lesson in humility going on in my life that I honestly really didn't need. smile

Thankyou for everything my friend
Mike

The CD is only halted by the artwork and graphics on my end.. I'm thinking of the download route as well....



Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 34
H
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
H
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 34
Hi Mike. Your song has blown me away. It is simply FANTASTIC.
I can't find one single thing wrong. And my old ears have been around for 74 years. I have been listening to great songs for as long as I can remember.I'm going back to before the wonderful
Ella Fitzgerald. I don't do music but I have a darn good ear for those who can. Taking On Forever, deserves to be a number 1 hit.
I have herd 3 songs since I joined, and I think J P F has got the most talented people I have heard in a very long time. Your song gave me such a lump in my throat, trying so hard not to cry. Please could you let me know when your CD is out, and where I can buy it. Mike, your voice is so rich and you sing with so much feeling. The young girls were great too. I wish there had been someone like you around, when I was a kid. I loved singing,
but in my day, there wasn't a Mike Caro around. I made the mistake of smoking, and aquired nodules on my vocal chords when I was 58. I lost my voice completely. (Roy would say, that was his most peaceful time)lol. Got to go now,as it is 2-55am over here, so:

Goodnight, Godbless you, and and keep you safe. Roy has told me how ill you are, and I would like to put your name under my cross
as I did with Glyn. I hope my prayers will be answered for both of you. Helen.


Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 751
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 751
Well what can I say, the mix is crap and so are the vocals and the arrangment wink just kidding mate you blow me away with you writting and arrangments. It makes me try even harder to get your sound when I write.

Man I love this tune you one gifted son of a gun.



Work for hire Producer. I will also produce and master any old/new work tapes up to demo standards. :-)
Just PM or email:

Email -- mork1976@gmail.com

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by TamsNumber4
This song is fantastic!! I need to own this cd for sure!!

I'd praise it more, ubt how much more praise do you need?? LOL!! Be well my friend!!

Tammy


Thankyou Tammy, The praise is warmly appreciated and welcome... Since not being able to play out, no gigs for a decade and no label work in seven years and no pitch accept-ions in six years it is WELCOME LOL

The better I get the further it all gets away....


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Helen

That was a wonder warm response to my song. It's no number one hit lol but your feelings towards it are smile My friend Nick who played Accordion on the album (Waves Of The Danube) the CD's only cover song is also 74. I have only known him briefly but he LOVES my stuff smile it is so flattering when he calls up and asks for a copy of song so he can drive around and listen to it in his car...

His favorites I believe are "Boetticher Blues, "If I Could/Closer" and "Gypsy"

Then I have 13 year old asking for a copy of this songs as well as a few others. They like this one "Right Here On This Earth"
"If I Could" The Brooklyn Song and I Can Do Anything" most of all. smile
So it is extremely pleasing to me as a songwriter to reach such a wide age range. I feel lucky to have the kids around just as much. I dont have any and that saddens me on a regular basis. So it's nice to see these kids grow up and there great talents as well.

Sorry about your trouble and losing your voice. What a shame. Also wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed working on your song "All It Takes"
It made VERY happy too see you and Roy so happy about it.

Thank you very much for including me in your prayers.
I'm not that ill thank God. Just altered and weakened.
I know there are infinite amounts of people who need it way more than I do, so I pray only for strength and courage to cope.

Thanks & God Bless
Mike



Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by Andy Kemp
Well what can I say, the mix is crap and so are the vocals and the arrangment wink just kidding mate you blow me away with you writting and arrangments. It makes me try even harder to get your sound when I write.

Man I love this tune you one gifted son of a gun.


Thanks Andy this was the song i was gonna have you solo on, NOW you can be mad at me LOL.. How killer is the feel of this song to play over? KILLER!!!

I'm gonna agree with your kidding, none of these things are perfect but as a whole, as one they are very effective!
Correction Kacey was perfect!!

Thanks
Mike


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 348
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by Mike Caro Substudio
Hi Jim

When your dizzy you are USELESS no matter how big you are or what you are...
Anyway that's all, people have it far far worse and I know that.
When the problem started 15 years ago I never thought it would elevate to this and cost me so much in every regard.

..................

Everyone hears things a little different and has different tastes
One person did not like the snare drum in this song at all, another told me they loved it. What gets a tiny bit frustrating for me is having to even think about it again at all lol.
I have thought about tracks in this song more than some people thought about there ENTIRE song maybe a few songs even... smile

........................

I'm very happy that you want a copy of my CD I hope you'll enjoy it even further than the production aspects. The songs, the parts,the hooks & catchiness all over it, arrangements,the playing etc...
The genuineness of it....

Mike



Damn Mike. I don't know what to say. I've seen my mother suffer from MS for the last 20 years. Yours although not the same sounds just as frustrating and debilitating as that is so I really feel for you. It must be just as hard mentally to cope with. I praise you even more for getting in your studio and creating this fantastic piece of work.

As for people liking or disliking different parts of a song, I totally know what you mean. You put so many hours into something and then someone says "hmm not so sure about this or that" Aaahh! It's easy to then look more critically at that part but unless lots of people say the same thing then you can discard it as personal preference rather than sounding bad. So having read all the critiques I'd say the song is spot on and your sure don't need to revisit it!!! smile.

Put your music on the web. Use CD baby and also make yourself a bandcamp page. Get your music on Youtube with a picture of your album as a backdrop and then at least you have done the minimum to get your great music out there. For those of us who like your stuff we can easily start linking you and sending you all over the world.
If you need any help with the artwork or web stuff let me know cos I'm a geek and good with that side of stuff.

Jim


My Band Northfield
Our Videos
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 690
R
Top 500 Poster
Offline
Top 500 Poster
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 690
Mike,

Great song! This one has been on my radar for a while now and I just wanted to really have time to listen. You always put out quality stuff and I really appreciate your musicianship.

The girls did great and from time to time I wanted to hear them more. (louder in the mix)

That is not a complaint or critique as the mix is great and blends very well overall.

Listened 4 times so far. Love the build and the first part of the chorus. Very dramatic and heartfelt!

Keep up with music as much as you can (and I know you will) as it obviously has SOME healing power for you. You have lots of talent and the confidence in that talent really shows. Many have talent but I think the confidence can be what separates amateur from pro and you my friend are no amateur!

Ricky


Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,427
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,427
Hi Mike,

I was reading the comments, reading the lyrics and expecting to get blown away and it won't play!!! Well it will play a few notes and stop. I will be back to try it again, everything else has been playing fine today.

Dottie

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
Top 50 Poster
Offline
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
Hey Sub,

Now that's one great rock/pop song !

Now for the nit picking..... LOL

This song is beautifully layered, both musically and production wise. It has that trademark "air" which you give a tune.

For this tune however, I think it needs to escape Substudio, and be mixed and mastered from an outside source. Why ? It is hovering between retro and modern, production wise, and needs some red lining by a young out there audio engineer. ( Don't look at me, I have hair in all the wrong places eek ) This is a true studio production piece and would really benefit an outside mix.

Also.... it's the first song ? I'm thinking maybe it should be the last song. It would cap off a really great instrumental album with the only vocal track at the end.

Anyways, which ever way you look at it, it's just a damn great song.

cheers, niteshift


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Thanks Jim

Yes it's debilitating. The biggest highlight of feeling good in my life is when I'm able to take a shower for five minutes or so...

And I do appreciate the time anyone puts into a comment regarding one of mys songs. At least they listened to begin with smile
What people don't know or can't know is circumstances. I try to remember that when I'm reviewing something. If you know them a little better it's easier to get to the points that can really help them.

So sorry to hear about your Mom...
All the best
Mike


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Thanks Ricky.

The girls the kids, did a wonderful job. I went back and dealt with there levels a few times. Actually I find them a touch loud in spots for my taste. I did that for them though so they would hear themselves a little better. For me technically the bridge background is a tad too loud the choruses are border line perfect.
The ending section is good. Any louder and the twin lead guitars are gone. Any lower and the impact of the solo singing is gone... smile

Yes confidence is important. But I trust my experience in most cases. I am VERY hard on myself and VERY humbled everyday in every way.
It's OTHERS including record label music people and players who have put more faith in me than I feel worthy of.

That helps with confidence as well... Even when they say it or pay it I still don't truly believe it or feel really worthy of it.
I worked hard, I have very good insight and I understand people and circumstances very well. I can see past what I know or don't know and what I like or don't like to find the value in something. I adapt very well so people like to work with me and be around a situation with me. Unless they are LAZY then they force themselves to despise me... They want credit without the work...
I unintentionally expose a lot of people. smile

Thanks man
Mike



Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by Dottie
Hi Mike,

I was reading the comments, reading the lyrics and expecting to get blown away and it won't play!!! Well it will play a few notes and stop. I will be back to try it again, everything else has been playing fine today.

Dottie


Sorry Dot.
Hopefully it will work next time... Thanks for dropping in though.

Mike


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by niteshift
Hey Sub,

Now that's one great rock/pop song !

Now for the nit picking..... LOL

This song is beautifully layered, both musically and production wise. It has that trademark "air" which you give a tune.

For this tune however, I think it needs to escape Substudio, and be mixed and mastered from an outside source. Why ? It is hovering between retro and modern, production wise, and needs some red lining by a young out there audio engineer. ( Don't look at me, I have hair in all the wrong places eek ) This is a true studio production piece and would really benefit an outside mix.

Also.... it's the first song ? I'm thinking maybe it should be the last song. It would cap off a really great instrumental album with the only vocal track at the end.

Anyways, which ever way you look at it, it's just a damn great song.

cheers, niteshift



Thanks Nite...

It is the last song on the CD.. Like I said "The final track"
Also it is like EVERY song I ever posted here in six years completely DONE! smile


Thanks
Mike




Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
If George Martin's son, or Paul's young dude said they would remix it, I would say,,,sure, let em since they "asked", and hear where they take it.
Otherwise,,,,it's what Mike sounds like, and should remain that way, period!
Hey Mike,,,,,see ya Sunday if you're clear for studio time. Get those drums tuned for me!

Last edited by Mike Caro Substudio; 09/02/11 01:59 AM.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
Top 50 Poster
Offline
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
I beg to differ Mr Daubert.....

The song, as presented is way over compressed ( look at the graphic ) and not in a good way.

It lacks mids, and depth of field. it is not clear and precise in it's execution or it's audio quality.

This is a beautifully recorded song which requires the subtle hand of a post production engineer to give it depth and substance. To my ear, a prime candidate for an analogue/digital mix, followed by layback for final mastering.

If I had the money, I'd send it off to somewhere like Universal ( $750 ) where the expertise in their field is evident.

Yes, Sub you are "done" on your part, and the work shown would please a post production engineer no end.

It would make his ears sing. smile

cheers, niteshift


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
What you heard Nite, is a an MP3 on that site, which is NOT the sonic quality of the CD that I have, and what I was referring to. There is no comparison of that mp3 to the wav file song on the CD. Nite and Day! LOL

So, I see how you would assume that file on the site is the actual sound of what Mike did.

Mike, how come I got edited out???


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522





Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Besides, Mike told me the compression he did on it. "Very little". Mike would have the numbers, to show that is the case.


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522





Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
OP Offline
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by niteshift
I beg to differ Mr Daubert.....

The song, as presented is way over compressed ( look at the graphic ) and not in a good way.

It lacks mids, and depth of field. it is not clear and precise in it's execution or it's audio quality.

cheers, niteshift



Nite

Don't pay too much mind to John he is very biased and protective of me smile And I love him like a brother.

Actually almost ALL the songs I hear here or anywhere are blasting in volume over the ones I do .. The compression on this song was minus - 10 Threshold - 1.295 Ratio Limiter - 3.0 threshold.. The one I have on Soundclound may not be the final mastered one.. That is peanuts as I see people go -18 and 4.1 ratio's
But I know for a FACT that I don't over compress my material in it's final stages.. As a matter of fact I was just explaining to one of the kids who I produce... They asked WHY does there songs sound so low compared to all the other songs they have on the the IPOD? I said give me your Taylor Swift CD or whatever it was..

I put it at a certain volume in the studio, it was BLASTING the levels on m y machine were pinned.. But the control knob was half way up.. Naturally it sounded very impressive,, but like many other things I hear today in a short while my ears were hurting and things sounded harsh and brash.. Then I put the work we were doing on... I was able to crank the control room without any harshness whatsoever.. would do the same on any stereo. But I know they need it hotter for today's media... So!

I have heard countless country songs as well HARSH big label releases... Checkout the wonderful song My Town by Montgomery Gentry.. I have to shut it off or keep it really low it's so harsh..
But I don't even over compress when tracking it KILLS dynamics...
My acoustic guitars dynamics come from my hands..

I do agree there are faults in this last song and album,I am rushing a bit to finish the three year CD project...And I have little to no help with it.. Lots of people disappear when money and opportunities do..
But NOT clear in it's audio quality? Is an opinion that I'll have to disagree with. A perfect track/mix? No way..State of The Art? No way!
Unclear? that's nonsense. smile I haven't done an unclear recording since I owned a 4 track cassette porta studio twenty five years ago my friend.

Anyway I'll try explain why your whole original feedback doesn't work for me.. Why I don't know, lolbut we're friends so I will.
Maybe it will aid you in life in some way or some how some time.
Being able to step outside my own various jobs and work I can totally get what your saying. I know! I know! However where does it end?
See if I ask one question or have one thought I have a hundred more ....How about I do the whole recording outside of substudio, this way I get some different sounds and rooms and gear.. And HELP!
Oh And why not have some other people play instead of me playing twenty tracks or so myself. Also an engineer just sitting there thinking about levels and compression while I'm trying to figure out a bass solo or guitar solo's harmony parts...

I have actually had people come in and I paid them to play things I can play just for a different perspective. Some people who were better than me in many ways, but still I had to scratch there track in many cases as it wasn't what the song needed. Or for some reason or another...
I have even done it with bass, I had players/people say WHY in the world would you have someones else play bass on one of your songs? I get it! smile

However there is a list of circumstances and reasons for doing things one way or another at any given time. The list and reasons are way to long to explain here so I wont dare explain them all. This will be too long as it is...
But just a quick example of reasoning as too why your suggestions makes sense but also doesn't is..
1- Money!! Who's paying.you? smile how much? If someones gonna do things so much better than me they will probably need to be paid..

2- Besides who's paying, there's the TIME it takes, Then there's this factor... What kid around here or where ever, that I'm gonna trust with my tracks and my song?
Do you REALLY think the top guy in the top room sits and works on YOUR songs? They put his picture up and he takes the BIG jobs the A Room jobs and the rest are given to interns young people in a room with a computer just like yours the B Room.. I have seen it time and again before.
In my situation I'm forced into things and limited so I'll have to trust my years of recording songs myself plan smile
Since I was kid I went to various studios and then I went home and bested ever single one of them here... Accept for the MASSIVE ones in NYC and those were all dance tracks, it's real easy to get perfect sound out of machines and midi..

I sent songs from a label job inb 2004 I got. We used a SIX MILLION dollar studio for mixing. Aside from the great vocal sound they RUINED the songs...Actually the label and executive producer had me send them.. Know why? Some kid with pro-tools compressing the life out of every single track... he also thought to use all his toys... effects all over the place.


3- Why spend money outside to mix on ONE song, what about the other 14 songs? How are they gonna blend? See how it works? see how the never getting done starts?

Being a producer the number one thing you need to be is PRODUCTIVE!!!
I can or could not waste anymore time looking for a young studio kid who's gonna take my retro song in which I want to stay totally retro and make it into a modern marvel lol and do not have the juice/energy or patience or resources to partake in such things now. People caring is a BIG key. Sending your song to someone who cares makes all this difference in the world... even if they have [naughty word removed] to work with...
I did albums at Sony when I was signed to Columbia Records and many aspects of it does not sound as good as the CD I'm doing now.. or ones I did five years ago for that matter, trust me on that.

So in theory I agree with your suggestion/thought 100%.. in reality it's a complete 100% no no. I guess I can live with how my recordings turn out.
smile

There's always room for improvement, I know this better than anyone. But when it gets in the way of doing anything, it's no longer an improvement! smile We must deal with the balance of things we have in front of us and the way things are now and move forward...

An outside mastering house would be a lot more logical and practical and needed, rather than sending houses my songs to mix. Just not a practical idea... thanks for suggesting it though

Hey where's "I Write The Songs"??? smile No reply is required I'm exhausted..
Thanks again, thought this thread was over but... well almost.

Mike



Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com







Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
Top 50 Poster
Offline
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,830
Over ? Yeah, well almost. smile

Mike, I've heard a lot of your work, both for yourself and for others. It has a wonderful cleanness which only a analogue studio can do.

In pulling up this track, and playing it beside your previous work, it is 'cloudy' and sonically confused.

I'll say no more, other than to say call it as you see it.

Your bud, niteshift

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Top 25 Poster
Offline
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,102
Compared to the same song I have on CD, that site must have put his 320kb upload to 96kb or even 48, maybe to have more space overall on the site. ??? Nite and Day difference!
I know by comparison that is where the issue lies in the sonic comments.

Blame the site, Nite. I heard it as Mike intended it to be. So far, no one else has.


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522





Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,301
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,301
Mike , why did you pull out the song from Soundcloud ?

Does this mean you are soon ready to release the CD ? :-)

Hope you`ll make it avaiable as download as well .

All the best
Jan


"You have to react to what's around you in the moment, whatever the music is.
Just think of it as some place you have to enter and you need to find the key."

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,608
Top 50 Poster
Offline
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,608
darn, it looks like I missed it frown

not on SoundCloud anymore.... best wishes to ya buddy!! I didn't read the whole long thread tho -- my laptop battery's almost dead I gotta take a break here too....

take care man - will buy CD when it's out, just tell me where & when!

Linda

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,237
Likes: 16
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,237
Likes: 16
There are many roads to go,
and they go by many names,
they don't all go the same way,
but they get there all the same,
and I have a feeling that we'll meet someday....
where the roads come together...
up the way.

I used to sing that song in Up With People
years ago, and youre somg brought it back to me. lovely write mike.~~~~MFB III

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,095
Posts1,185,800
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
Christine Ledford (59), Randall Foster (2026)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,384,319 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5