Originally Posted by Jody Whitesides
Actually most producers and such, that are worth their salt will ask for what is known as 'points' on a recording. Those points are royalties based on sales, streaming etc. I'm under the impression that this will make it easier to direct payments owed to the person themselves. That way its not on the label/publisher/artist to pay it out or get taxed on said royalties.

I am not so sure about this.. This can't be retroactively given to people who already signed deals and terms and were compensated based on that because that is unjust and the idea that they could determine which songs had such a deal and which didn't is bull, it could never happen. It will never happen that way. So this is double dipping plus the money will NEVER get to indie folks doing these jobs so I expect like the money held for studio musicians currently, this money will go to a tiny number of people either connected to a union or similar gatekeeper and all the indies will get screwed. There is no way this will fairly be distributed and it simply takes money from the people taking all the speculative risks, the artists and writers.

Producers, mixers and engineers get historically paid upfront whether a project goes anywhere or not. The big time names get points. None deserve more than that. This is powerful people who hired lobbyists to do a cash grab... ack... same old corruption, just a new strategy for a cash grab by the already rich and powerful. Sure, it may bypass the corrupt labels but it is just another cartel of the powerful skimming off the paltry top. Royalty money is already microscopic and this takes from that small pot of money. At least that's what it appears to me.

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney