Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Folks,

So I thought this might be a fun way to analyse a song. I want you to think and try to recall a song lyric that you do not like but was in a song that was critically well received--something that you know you're in the minority on.

Can you analyse why you disagree with the critics?

Robots and automatons and people that always go along with the crowd need not apply.

Perhaps think of this as a more fun, esoteric "prove you're not a robot" test, or if you're into feeling a little humiliation, think of this as pure fun. wink

Here's some obligatory coaxing, "c'mon, guys and gals, you can't possibly be in-line with every critically popular song, and not be fakin' it, you know! "

I have had fun exploring my own psyche' in regards Elton John/Bernie Taupin's "Your Song" and I'll go first by wrapping up my thoughts on it.

Let's stay away from "Imagine" by John Lennon or any song that involves anyone's personal religious/agnostic/atheistic beliefs, okay?

*********************************************************************************************************

After investigating I found that "on the record" BT has said that "that is pretty much how I felt" and he wrote "Your Song" in one sitting, at EJ's mom's house when he was 17.

Seventeen, and probably a shy Brit. Let that sink in. Occam's Razor says often the simplest solution is often the right one, and in this case, we also have confirmation from the lyricist that this was the case:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/elton-john/your-song

The narrator was not intentionally flawed. The lyricist was not some seasoned writing genius (at 17?) cleverly pretending to be a shy, unpolished first person singular in YS --as if he was masterminding and orchestrating that shy, imperfect voice--he was simply being himself, a shy 17 year old kid writing from his heart!

BT wrote "Your Song" authentically from his seventeen-ear-old heart, in one sitting, and knowing that, I could actually grow to like the song, I think, and it has taught me something that I think country music people have known all along: real humility, sincerity, and a conversational "tone" can help create a lyrical space where normal lyric writing rules need not apply.

I tried listening to it today, and still get a horrible feeling of doom in my chest, but my brain can like the song, except for ONE LINE, now,

But the sun's been quite kind
While I wrote this song
It's for people like you that
Keep it turned on.

I yell at the speakers every time I hear "it's for people like you that keep it turned on" --which makes my head reel for at least two reasons.

How is that different than saying "it's for anyone who chooses to listen to it" and how is that not a bit of a meaningless tautology?

Also, with this line, BT is betraying the notion that the song is for a particular person. Him saying "it's for people like you" would quickly make me feel less than special.

But this was a lyric with no apparent rewrites, just him writing at EJ's breakfast table one morning, and so it's in there, though I think the song is better without "people like you" which betrays the song's basic premise, IMHO..

But I've learned a lot about the song and myself while going on this slightly humiliating but fun journey. smile

************************************************************************************************************

So okay..

I hope that anyone that takes issue with my thoughts, that's fine, but please also play along and name a critically popular song whose lyric you are in the minority on, and delve into your own psyche' and I think it will be fun to hear why you hear that particular song different from most other people.

I've shown you mine.. smile

Mike

I think its a great idea to analyze some popular songs, just to see what people think of them. The problem with that though is you are suddenly pushed into a place where you have to come up with something about it. I think thats the internet at work. Once upon a time people just listened to songs, they didnt break them down for better or worse. I wish I could go back to a time where I didnt understand music, and chords and harmonies, when I just listened. If I try I can do it, but its a bit like NOT noticing the pink elephant in the room.

Much like art 10 people can listen and have 10 different views, most people dont care enough to even give an opinion, if its on its on, if not, its not. We give ourselves way too much credit, thinking people give a [naughty word removed] about our process, only other songwriting geeks do!

Back to YS. Its not that its intentionally made to sound off kilter or flawed, it just came out that way. And its not surprising that it came from the heart, cause it shows. Some of the lines like So excuse forgetting, or... but then again no, it's for people like you... just sound cool. Sometimes its how the words sound as opposed to what they mean. Listen to most REM songs, the words are everything even though they usually dont say much.

II recall Bob Seger saying that his line "I wish I didnt know now what I didnt know then" he was gonna throw away. And the producer said WHYYYY? He said cause he thought it was bad grammar, and the producer said I dont care if its bad grammar its a great line, so it stayed.

Sometimes style wins over substance, you don't forget those lines in Your Song!

Well my intention is not to "push" anyone to come up with anything, but thought that most folks could think of a song or two where they buck the odds and don't go with the flow. I thought that might be interesting to share and hear and understand, is all.

Rhetorically speaking, if this ain't the place for songwriting nerds, where is?

How is this a case of how the Internet is a bad thing?

I thought it could be a fun, unusual approach to talking about songs. smile

Mike

When I say push I mean, that when somebody asks a question, why is this song good, or why is this bad, you then switch gears from being a listener, to being an analyzer. Most folks listen and either stop listening, listen while doing something else, or keep listening cause they really like it. No reasons given.

yeah, as songwriters we look at things differently, and i do think its a great idea. it just changes how music is listened to when you listen under a microscope. But Im game, sounds like fun, this sort of thing has been done on other sites, be nice to see, but alot of folks dont even bother.