Originally Posted by Fdemetrio

But as i said before, singers play the character.

I think this is definitely a debatable topic because I question that it holds true for the average person in all cases. But giving that debate it's due is honestly beyond my scope right now.

That topic being "hearing the singer as playing a character or as himself."

There's an unwritten "code" I'm sure, such as the singer's personal history (are his/her songs usually pulled from his/her/life, the plausibility of the scenario, etc.)

But even then, I can imagine there are singers and older singers in particular who wouldn't "choose" to sing the song cuz they object to the lyric's content.

And I don't think it's an unnatural reaction to hear an older man singing "Tonight's The Night" and get a little creeped-out by it, even though, as you say, we're "supposed" to remember that "the singer is playing a character" --but why must we, isn't that up to the listener? Certainly you don't think the average listener should have a set of instructions to go with any given song.

The litmus test for me, with the Rod Stewart song is that I cannot imagine the song working even when sung by an age appropriate man. The song sets it up that this guy is older and flaunts that to some degree, and I find it icky. At best, it's an "R" rated version of "You Are 16 Going On 17" from "The Sound of Music" in which the guy tells the girl "you need someone older and wiser/telling you what to do" and honestly, I think THAT line has aged poorly as well.

And ultimately for me, even IF I keep it in my head Rod is playing a character, I am STILL creeped-out by the song.

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 07/18/19 02:54 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)