FD, I don't think lyricists generally feel limited, especially if the composer has provided a leadsheet - which in my opinion is essential. I’ve worked both with and without leadsheets, and without is a nightmare. I don’t do it anymore.

Besides, why would the lyricist be looking to create her/his own rhythm if the melody has already been determined by the composer/vocalist? With a leadsheet (and of course the music), she/he can see exactly which and what kind of notes need to be written to. It's then a matter of finding the right words and creating a consistent/coherent lyric that matches the mood of the music. I feel it's unlikely that a lyricist would be required to write the melody. This is more often the task of the vocalist if not the composer.

There’s plenty a lyricist can do with a track, because often the composer already knows the theme/storyline he/she wants but needs the lyric to be written by a wordsmith, or needs someone to polish whatever he/she has already written. I’ve just finished a project like that, and have co-written a lot of lyrics that already had a melody.

There are many kinds of collaboration, all of which need to be discussed and decided upon from the beginning.

As I said in my previous post, I’m not after instrumentals & melodies. I can create my own melodies for my lyrics (though I don’t always do it wink ). I’d simply like a few simple backing tracks in different genres and time signatures to sing against so that I can more quickly get a feel for the melody as I’m singing. A backing track kind of ‘jump starts’ me. smile Even though that particular track won’t be a part of the resulting song.

I don’t agree that music and lyrics need to created at the same time for a song to be authentic. But as you say, it’s open to debate. wink No doubt others here will chime in. wink

Donna

Honour the Earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Life is too important to take seriously.

http://www.reverbnation.com/donnamarilynrichblend