Mark:

I've been watching and reading this thread since you asked the question. Simple answer: There are more people who "feel" music but cannot play an instrument of any kind... yet can still write. To me, it is an important distinction that they be able to imagine the melody (to some degree) otherwise, they would be poets only. (No disrespect to poets intended!) Of course there are all kinds of lyricists. Just like there are many kinds of nuclear physicists or electricians, etc.

From my limited perspective, the lyricist has the toughest "row to hoe" in the music world. Always looking for somebody who can "musicate" their creation without totally taking over, twisting the meaning, crushing the imaginary melodic direction or just being rude and inconsiderate.

My heart goes out to the lonely lyricist... but I challenge you to learn an instrument you feel comfortable with. Just learn to play chords so you can accompany your lyrics and better express what you intend the song to sound like. That does not mean that an arranger or composer cannot further improve what you have created... after all, that is their speciality. It is a two way street and both sides of the musical coin are so important.

Regards,

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice