Originally Posted by Dave Rice
John attempted to "take us back" to Everett's original inquiry. Music Libraries. They do exist and there are so many different types with requirements that are significantly different from the once normal music industry. Do your research carefully, Everett... it can prevent a great deal of lost time, effort and expense. Will it lead to much money? Only if your work is "on par" with our esteemed composer, Mr. Schick. Even then, the odds are long and the deck is usually stacked.

I know your music is intended for an entirely different market... but the rules they impose will still apply.

After about a year of jumping through hoops with no success, I folded my tent and stole silently into the desert of my tiny studio to "lick my wounds" and decide if another direction might change my luck. My final decision was to continue writing and recording to please an audience of one... me!

Martin, I'm sad to hear that all that effort you and Mike went through... generated so little income thus far. Who knows, maybe someone with the resources and connections needed today will hear it and want to produce a movie. Hope springs eternal.

FD... I feel your pain. All of us need friends... and there are so few during one's lifetime... (real, honest-to-goodness friends)... I am living proof that other than stating my position without animosity, I finally realized that I will never be able to convince anyone of my side of any argument... so why try? Just run your opinion up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes. If not, write or record another song... invent a cure for Alzheimers or come up with a perpetual motion machine. Time is fleeting, so please, do your best to develop lasting friendships and acquaintances. It will take you far, and help you climb into a happier place. Turning the other cheek is never easy.

All the best to all of you, ----Reverend Rice,,, LOL!

Dave

I agree with your point that the original point of this post was musical libraries and I think that we agree on the overall issues... but I cant help coming back to the broader issue....which is the monetizing of someone's personal musical catalogue. That was never easy to do for anyone lacking an inside lane and now even if you have an inside lane...it us hard to do. For songwriters, from what I've read, royalty sources have significantly dried up. The prospect of getting my songs cut by an artist of significance has GALACTIC COMPETITION and galactic odds against it...regardless of what I do. And even if I were to beat those odds...there is the next challenge of achieving monetary success with it.

I read somewhere that Lady Gaga wrote a song that made her 20K on royalties, but she made millions performing it. That appears to be the new model....sell seats and tee-shirts, coffee cups, whatever else someone will buy. The new model appears built on performances and the resultant branding and appeal. The songs are the ante that gets you in the game.

The takeaway...If you are here putting your stuff up freely on a free site, I SUGGEST, that you not concern yourself with making it pay, but deriving enjoyment on what there is to derive enjoyment from.
Dave, I think that you and I see that the same.

As for me...no need to feel sorry at all. I just turned 67. No significant piece of the population is wanting to hear what I have to sing, even if it was excellent and better than anything on the radio. There are too many factors beyond the song that make money in music happen. I lack all of them. But I loved doing my song story WITH MIKE and am very happy with the outcome and feel that it was a personal achievement.

And...IT HAS PAID $1.52. smile

With regards and hoping that you are well,

Martin