Thank you Kaley for your comments about me.

Near, or top of line models of Roland, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, and the Kurtzweil models around 5 or 6 thousand, would be great for piano sounds. Also, there are cards out there for use in the CD-roms of those keyboards, for about 1 hundred each, (as I remember them being so a couple of years ago). That way, you could get a card that has a Steinway grand piano to have as your piano sounds!

For real pianos,,,, which you can't get better than, because of the wood and metal plate for true resonance, and of course the feel of a real piano action, (grands especially) try playing these makes at some stores just to check out:

GRANDS of many sizes:
Steinway (hand crafted still)
Boston (sister company of Steinway)
Kawai (one of the better and consistant production pianos
Yamaha (I like less than the Kawai)
Beckstein, (hand crafted for the most part)
Schimmel
Estonian, (hand crafted)
Petrov, (hand crafted)
Baldwin

For the ones under ten grand, you can go with the verticals:
Kawai, Boston, Charles Walter, Petrov, and some Yamahas being good.

For lesser costs pianos, you can look at the Korean makes as in Young Chang, Samick, and a lot with old American names but not American anymore, such as Chickering and Fisher. BUT, for me, the Korean pianos, unless buying their top of line grands, aren't worth the less money payout. Sticky actions, and bass notes not being that good, and the whole piano going out of tune fast, are a result, in my opinion, of building them too fast, and with wood and it's treatment not being the best for the four season weather changes in parts of the US.

For older, used pianos: Cunningham uprights are great for sound and feel. I have a 1920 big upright, and keeps a tune still, with all original strings/pins and 99% action parts!

Also: Chickering, Mason and Hamlin, Sohmer, Fisher, Kranich and Bach, George Steif, Steinway, Baldwin, and a lot of others were greatly built pianos from an era of true craftmanship and the best parts!

Happy hunting!

John

[This message has been edited by dhsongs (edited 02-26-2003).]

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522