Hey R&M,

One of the problems is not enough "headroom." That means you can't record loud enough to make the noise so low that you can't hear it. The bit depth tells you how much headroom you have. CD's have 16 bits (it's kind of like having a volume knob that goes to 16) but when you record, going to 16 makes it more likely that you'll drop down in volume to where the noise is. Recording at 24 bits ( something like getting a volume knob that goes to 24) then you can keep the volume levels up near the top without getting too hot, but they won't drop down to where the noise is. (This is an oversimplified explanation, but it's close LOL.)


Here's how to change Audacity's bit depth: http://www.ehow.com/how_8353653_change-bitrate-audacity.html You don't need to change the bit rate to stop noise, but this shows bit depth as well.

If you run at a bit depth of 24 and don't record with the volumes too loud or too soft, you won't hear as much hiss and buzz. Then, though, when it's time to make a cd or an mp3 you need to convert to 16 bit. Your cd burner may have a convertor for that, or it might be in Audacity. I just did a search and someone said Audacity does this automatically when you mix down.

So, give it a try. Change to 24 bit recording, then make a cd or mp3 the normal way you do with Audacity and see if it sounds good. If not, come back here or send me a private message and we'll see if we can't find an easy fix.

Using a higher bit depth sounds better to me than using a gate. A gate makes a fluttering sound as the volume dies out at the end of a song or when a vocal or instrument fades away. It may take a little work figuring it out and getting it to transfer from 24 to 16 so you can burn a cd or make an mp3, but in my opinion it will be better.

However, I've used Floorfish for other purposes and Sue is right, it works very well. Also, you might notice the fluttering sound a lot less than the noise.


You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music