Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
|
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997 |
Not sure anybody wants my two cents on this, but I think we are comparing apples and oranges when we are talking about talent vs. star quality. I like Taylor Swift. Do I think she is really talented and does she wow me, no. However, that being said, the girl has talent. It is not typical for an 11 year old to pick up a guitar and put together melodies and lyrics that catch a listener's ear. She is cute, she can sing well enough and she can write a catchy tune. She appeals to the masses for all those reasons. And I have to say that as a mom of three daughters, I am thrilled that Taylor Swift is out there in such a huge way - and Justin Beeber, because I would much rather have my kids listening to her music than some of the incredibly disturbing hip hop that is out there. The latest one I heard from my 15 year old is entitled "I just had sex" and take a listen to the lyrics of that song. Thank God for Taylor Swift.
I understand the frustration that an incredible musician or singer must feel when someone praises Taylor as being "so talented." My guitarist who is legally blind and plays like Eric Clapton is "so talented" it makes me cry! But Taylor's talent is a talent for having star quality. She has a little bit of everything and that sells. That's entertainment right? Tracy Tracy you are very in tune my friend. Taylor is talented, and in many cases what's important to the industry and general public is the TYPE OF TALENT. Dancing is more important (look at ALL the dancing shows), in pop than singing for many stars like J Lo for one. Being a cover girl does not hurt Taylor or Beyonce one bit, Business & Career wise. I have a 12 year old girl over here that writes CONTAGIOUS little melodies with crafty little lyrics and she plays her acoustic alone to the click track.. and sings her own harmonies. She writes about BOYS! so is it any wonder every young girl in the world can relate to her... That's what Taylor does, so what more is there to say. Nobody in the mainstream or KIDS care very much about guitar players of any kind, that was YESTERDAY!!! Lucky for Guitar Hero Game they know about them at all...... Taylor Is - Taylor is - A GREAT role model for the ENTERTAINMENT business. Taylor is A very crafty effective songwriter - some people do not realize that she writes CATCHIER tunes then they EVER will. I'm experienced enough to know this. And she would love my songs, I'd bet my life on it. Because I have two girl artists here 15 & 12 who adore Taylor and one is FLAT out better than Taylor as a singer already. And they come to my studio singing my songs.... Taylor is - a hard working committed individual, who did not let her certain LACKS in ability stop her from being a MEGASTAR. Sound familiar hum Madonna for one.... Thinks about it. Taylor is - teaching kids to write catchy crafty songs, she's the reason these girls over here are so motivated. She's seems genuine and humble. Good for her. She is RELATE-ABLE to young kids. Taylor is - Gorgeous, this never hurts in the world of Entertainment. -------------------- Taylor is Not - Taylor is not - Carol King or Joni Mitchell as a songwriter. Taylor is not - Joni Mitchel or Carol King as a musician  Taylor is not - a great singer! If she was in a band with Ann Wilson or Melisa Ethridge or countless others she's be a back up singer, strumming away. She's no Christine Aguilra either. Not even unique is any way musically. Taylor is not a great guitarist - like JPFer's Janis Ian, Joanne Lurgio.... etc. When my friend and I discuss how incredible his young students are as developing songwriters & developing all there skills.... I always remind him of WHO there idols are.... While I totally appreciate the talents of the students and there idols such as Taylor. I call them "take-able" that's boxing talk for a champion who is "take able" able to be matched or beaten. When your musical idol is Taylor Swift your idol is take able. When it's the current heavy weight champion Wvaldimer Klitschco then the belt is take-able.. When your musical idol is Stevie Wonder and the Heavy Weight Champ is Ali You need to GO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BE!  Popular music is NOT making kids today sit down and practice on the guitar alone for six hours a day... Jimi Hendrix Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton they made you do that when they were VERY popular. That was a lifetime ago...
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,090
Posts1,185,792
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|