Originally Posted by Dave Rice
It's an ages-old quandary. Radio spoiled the public on the idea of "free music." Despite the commercials, a sufficient number of listeners would like something they heard and be willing to buy a record. Payola was rampant back then and the big labels used it extensively to promote their "stable of stars." Those singers and songwriters whose material was able to withstand the test of time managed to survive. The songs from many of them are still around today and are played to an ever widening audience.

"Free" is a double-edged sword. The digital age ushered-in the capability of musical theft by illegal downloading and further de-valued the overall value of music. Why buy when it's free? Nearly every kid in America learned to rip the tunes they liked and create their own playlists. Often the playlists would mix the songs of several unafilliated artists... just as the public has always wanted.

Heck, I like to hear back-to-back songs from different artists instead of an entire album of one guy or gal. That capability (illegal as it was or is) really began to plummet the music industry into the doldrums. Moreso, it made the odds of success for the rising star a real mountain to climb. Competition for a slice of the musical pie is at an all-time high. Most of us will never see a dime from our efforts... and that's a sad thing.

Sure, I want my songs to be heard... but at what cost? I write with the idea that someday, I might make a little money but my overall objective is to create something that will still be around long after I'm gone.

Who knows what tomorrow's technology will bring? It's an interesting subject you've posted, DRS. Thanks. I don't think anybody has the answer to this "problem." I sure don't!

Dave


I completely understand the sentiments of wanting to be paid for your hard work and efforts. In a perfect world, we all could.

Im just trying to figure out something that serves all peoples needs in some way.

My tentative model is this laugh if you will.

A program that allows for free download of any and all music a year or more older.

Any release from this point on must be paid for. This gives a little something to everyone. People can download their arses off from older stuff, they can hear bands they never heard before, and download it, become interested in a group or artist, and then ready to buy something new.

If you really like a group chances are you wont want to wait a year before it becomes free. Especially when they go on tours to support the album.

This way the artist can get paid as well.

This on top of whatever the streaming would pay for all music old or new.

What do yall think?