Fdemetrio, boy do you make some true points! I have lived every one of those scenarios on this very site, LOL.

I'm not saying artists won't be resistant, in denial, truculent (love that word), offended by your opinion, offended by your existence, offended by life itself... because they often WILL. grin What I AM saying is that no matter what they say about your critique, you never forget the critique. We REMEMBER that guy who said he hated the word "truculent", and how "steamed" would work better...even if we disagree.

And yes, the Greek chorus of friends generally do not feel comfortable watching another friend's baby get roughed up. When they reflexively run to the rescue like that, it probably impedes a budding songwriter's growth more than it protects feelings (that were already felt anyway). All I can say is that looking for a critique is supposed to be a skill-improving, skin-toughening exercise, not just a praise machine. Anyone too vulnerable to hear a negative response ought to mention that at the top of their thread. Critics are what's on the menu here...it's the point.

Eric Clapton is welcome to tell me anything about my playing, but he just might tell me I suck eggs, and to please never touch a guitar ever again. Who knows? He also might not be as good of a coach for other players than a lesser guitarist might be. Maybe for him it's easier to do than to teach.

My guess is that most people here are very interested to know how others respond to their work. They aren't always prepared for the truth. But anyone's honest perspective is valuable, and that's what I want Bob to know. His opinion matters!