Dave's question was "Are our ranks shrinking ?",

So, in response to the question I would have to say "No". In fact creativity now has an open option where one is not constrained by the cost of producing musical art.

Slight problem there, in that the untrained "demand' to have their work heard without the requisite training and skill. And they then get annoyed and think they have an equal footing with those who have studied the subject. If you've ever studied any subject, you will always realise that you DON"T know a lot about it, and study more. Some simply wish to receive recognition for nothingness.

This just creates white noise where the exceptionally talented have to battle through.

I have a reasonable understanding of music, and just love being blown away by pure talent that I could never be, or achieve.

Therefor Dave, no the ranks are not shrinking, just the ranks of snowflakes whom are too precious for their own lunchtime. smile

cheers, niteshift