OK Bill and Larry plus anyone else who agrees with you. I will spell it out for you. I have nothing against people singing cover versions of other peoples songs. Hell I do it for a living.
My gripe is that people, mostly undeserving, are being thrust into fame fortune and stardom without the necessary talent or experience. There are countless very talented people "In the business" who do not get the chance to show off their talent. So why drag people with mediocre pedigrees off the street and make them stars. Give someone who actually has talent the chance first. When there is so much talent out there performing new original songs why re record old faithfulls sung by third rate pop tarts and boy bands. It staggers me to think that people actually enjoy this crap and want more. It is even more surprising that people on a songwriting forum who HAVE TALENT cannot see through this hype and con and vehemently defend this mediocrity.
Please show me which part of my argument is so wrong.