I agree with my sitar making friend, Tom, that the talent this year ranks a little lower on the scale than in years past, with a couple of exceptions. But, all in all, I think he is right about this year's group as a hole.

I have a couple of thoughts about the American Idol process/show. I watch it about two-thirds of the time. If the Cardinals are on TV at the same time, I watch the game rather than American Idol. Big Jim, the Cardinals are our local professional baseball team. I am not obsessed with watching it. I do not quit whatever I am doing just to go watch it. If I'm doing nothing else at the time, I watch. But when I do watch it, I usually enjoy it. That said, I have never once voted for anyone. As I said, I usually enjoy it...I'm just not obsessed with it.

First, regarding the overall talent as a group: The contestants that the judges have to choose from are not initially from a culled group. As the process goes along, yes they are culled by three judges and, ultimately, the voting public. But, the original aspirants are those who simply choose to stand in line for 16 to 30 hours, regardless of weather, etc. That certainly does not mean that they are more talented than a lot of other folks...it means only that they have both the tenacity and desire to be considered for the show. There are probably thousands of more talneted folks who will not do that. Thus, the talent pool from which the judges have to choose is determined by whomever chooses to show up, regardless of talent, rather than those meeting a minimal talent level. That is not the fault of the jusges. The intent of the show is to prove that if you do have talent, in the eyes of the judges and the American audience, you can acheive success in the music business. That is simply the way the show has been put together by its producers. You and I do not have the privilege of deciding the how the contest is run.

Second, the fact that people with significant talent do not show up in any appreciable numbers is disappoiting. But, it is their choice to not show up. That leads right back to my first point...the talent pool is formed by those with the most tenacity than it is with more folks who probably have the most amount of talent. So, the knock that there is not better talent goes on the talented folks who choose to not participate. I admire the tenacity of those who do wait forever in endless lines, although my admiration is usally tempered a bit later when they open their mouths.

I do think there is at least a small amount of sour grapes from those who have mentioned all the hard working musical types who have been workin their rear-ends off and have never had major success outside their local area, for the most part. Keep in mind, though, that many of these folks who think that they are more talented, and you are probably right in many instances, may not be the type of talent that American Idol is looking for and have little to no chance of getting beyond the intitial round of judging. we ghave some amazing talent here at JPF. But, many of the folks here are not what American is looking for. American Idol is not looking for Jazz singers, crooners, Latin music performers, Rappers, Grunge, World, Americana performers, etc. They are primarily looking for mainstream Pop-Rock or Contemporary Country types, although Taylor Hicks and Reuben Studdard somewhat deviate from that model. None the less, those two were not performing in any of the relatively obscure genres, or genres with a minimal fan base. That immediately eliminates a lot of folks with more talent than what you see on the show. Some folks say that well, they ought to let those more talented folks on the show. But, that is neither the design nor the intent of the show. So, it most likely is not going to happen. And then, I once again go back to my original statement...the more talented folks that you and I know, or know of, who are more talented and fall into the category that American Idol is looking for, have chosen to not participate. Perhaps they do not want to take 6 - 12 months off from their careers. Perhaps they cannot afford to do so. But, whatever their reasons are, they have chosen to not participate. And, like I said, remember that the show determines the type of talent they are looking for. You and I do not make that choice.

Of the ones who remain into the later rounds, are they all mediocre karaoke singers? I do not think all of them are. But I would agree that some of them are. But, I would never classify Chris Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and similar talents, as mediocre by any definition.

And finally, I do not understand why the folks who do not like the show simply allow the folks who do enjoy do so in peace without being more or less chastised for doing so. I absolutely cannot stand the taste of sour cream...it is one of the most horrible, disgusting food items that a person could put in their mouth, in my opinion. However, I do not question the taste and/or sensibilities of those who do like it. I let them eat it in peace and do not look down upon them for it. I have my opinion...they have theirs. And that's okay! If you do not like American Idol, why do you watch it? If I didn't like something as intently as you folks apparently do not like American Idol, I surely wouldn't torture myself for an hour of it every week. And if you do not watch, how can you comment on it with any credability? Do you really torture yourselves for an hour just so you will have something to complain about?

I have never understood why those who do not like something...anything...always want to try to trash for those who do....or trash those who do like it. To me that sounds almost elitist...my taste is better than yours, and I can't wait to tell you why. It seems the "Live and let live" attitude does not apply to things you do not like...only if other folks agree with you.

I'm done!

Al