|
10 members (bennash, texritter, Michael W. Brown, KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, Bill Draper, Guy E. Trepanier, Sunset Poet, 2 invisible),
48,288
guests, and
5,625
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,400
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,400 |
Ahhhhhhhh, the age old question... Most of the musicians I work with have been able to work very nice melodies out of lyric as long as I am there to give them the flow/lyrical phrasing. What has worked best for me is bring the song to my picker with chords laid in with BIAB and sing it to him. He'll say we need to change a chord here or there, put a pause/rest before this word, lengthen or shorten this word, sing a little behind or ahead here etc. Then he records a rhythm guitar and drum track and a simple melody lead track. Then he calls in a vocalist and after they are done he goes back in and redoes the lead to flow with the vocals and adds any other instruments/harmonies to make it work. I've also worked with a couple of classically trained singers who want to be there from the initial session so they can have input on the lyrical phrasing and melody from the start. That is a very nice way to do this. I have tried writing to existing music but I am terrible at it. For me, lyric first but I "Hear" the feel of it in my head as I am writing it. That isn't always how the song turns out but it is usually pretty close. My genres: Country, Western Country, Christian Country, Gospel, P&W, Contemporary Christian, Jazz, Blues, Pop, Southern Rock, Bluegrass, and one Rock Opera I'm still looking for a musical co-writer for. I hope all this rambling answers your question.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,060
Posts1,185,723
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|