|
9 members (Guy E. Trepanier, Gary E. Andrews, Sunset Poet, texritter, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, bennash, 2 invisible),
54,991
guests, and
5,671
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Bill Draper - 09/30/26 02:55 PM
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Casual Observer
|
Casual Observer
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 28 |
Trav bro,
I personally just get really worked up about something, and then play a random chord progression and sing over the top of it. Usually there are a lot of nonsense words I have to decode but I trust my unconscious mind had something it was "trying" to say, and even if there wasn't, I just make the nonsense into something poetic. And doing it this way, the melodies tend to suit the words.
I've never enjoyed writing lyrics and melody separately but if I was to try it, I'd write the melody first and then write lyrics without the melody in mind! And then change the rhythm of the melody to match the words (one syllable into two notes, etc - i'm sure there's a word for that). Composing the other way round, I think i'd end up plagiarising. I'd hear the melody which suits the words based on my memories of how those phrases have been sung.
BUT THATS JUST ME!
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,059
Posts1,185,719
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|