@Martin Lide
@Dave Rice

Over my years at JPF I’ve tried multiple times (and failed miserably each time) to explain that we produce songs simply because we love to “say something” and we enjoy the production process. And that's it. That “something” could be whimsical, about love lost, love regained, redemption, nature or perhaps, as per this tune, even intense, i.e., the gamut of experiences and observations that create the beginnings of a song for all of us. For this song we felt and feel strongly about an important and topical subject - that became the "something to say."

I think the difference resides in the objective...what lies beyond “saying something” via a hopefully high quality production. Our objective is not based on pitching or viability in a certain market, etc. I think I can speak for our collaborators when I say that making music is a meaningful part of our lives but we all have passed the years when it dominated. We went through periods when making music had completely left our lives and later returned in a low pressure atmosphere to work in. When "something to say" drops by we write/produce a song, share it and let the proverbial chips fall where they may. When folks like what you did it ices the cake big time. When they don’t or are equivocal it gives you great insight into what others think and that often help you improve. We are always learning and music production for us is certainly a journey - not a destination.

We understand many folks write for how it will play in Peoria. This can be out of necessity (making a living) or for the desire to have a hit or for the fun of the pursuit. That’s great. Go for it!!

We are making zero value judgements - just a rambling attempt to explain our different (not better!) approach.

Cheers thanks for your time to comment!

J&B



Check out our new album Janice Merritt "Am I Blue Enough?"
on Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon and others.