Humm,
If I remember correctly the last time I looked in my BMI Handbook the Pro Rate was 12 cents payout per play in a Major Market and 6 cents in a minor market. Since (As I understand it) Radio Stations pay a blanket fee to the Pro's it would seem it has not changed. Of course a Radio Station(s) could play less music and pay a smaller fee to the Pro's. I imagine the Pro Fees are set by the Congress.

It has been noted before, written about in the yearly SONGWRITER'S MARKET that the Major Labels only allow so much for Mechanical Royalities to be paid so it severely limits an Artist recording outside songs because of something called the Composition Clause in the Artists Contract. If an Artist uses up more mechanical royalities than allowed by the Label it comes out of his share.

Now to be sure if an Artist records all outside songs, all under 5 minutes the Statutory rate is 9.1 cents or 91 cents per CD. That seems more than reasonable but as noted in Donald Passman's book the Record Labels find a way to charge for everything so an Artist usually makes nothing from record sales.

It is a Hell of a way to Run a Railroad in my opinion. So if an Artist signs a contract with a Major Label he had better have a terriffic track record before he signs.

I wonder if there are any Disc Jokeys left who pick their own songs?

Last edited by Ray E. Strode; 10/05/09 01:15 PM.

Ray E. Strode