|
6 members (KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, texritter, Guy E. Trepanier, Michael W. Brown, 1 invisible),
16,829
guests, and
5,518
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,776 Likes: 24
Top 50 Poster
|
OP
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,776 Likes: 24 |
Hi Joice, Thanks! Kristi's music is indeed wonderful, and I am very proud of her accomplishment here. The main "hump" that Kristi had to get over, was worrying about feeling like she didn't know what she was doing; and so much of the time I would explain the music theory behind things, after the fact, which helped streamline the teaching process, for me. Mainly I wanted to set up BIAB and FL Studio in such a way that Kristi had only a few choices, at any particular point in the song, so as not to feel "overwhelmed" and lost. Fortunately, from any triad in a scale, there are only five or six places one can go, and once we had the basic chords determined, we colored some of them up with added tones, and moduations, and what not. 'Melodicizing' was the most fun for Kristi, as I put "ghost notes" in the piano scroll of FL Studio that basically showed her which notes worked, at any point in the song, scale tones were given "dashes" and chord tones "solid lines" ...she was then able to get to that place "inside" herself where it became fun and intuitive, which was the experience that I was meaning to share with her, the joy of becoming "one" with the music for a little while. Her melody shows such joy. If Kristi chooses to continue with music, she will write music that we will all love, for she does solid work at whatever it is she attempts! OH, and that feeling like she didn't know what she was doing? I told her that's how I feel, most of the time when I'm writing, and you just get used to it...truly once you "know what you are doing" you are probably just repeating yourself, and not being very creative. At least this is my experience, and what I shared with Kristi. Halie is a world class singer and professional and fun to work with.  Thanks again for your thoughtful comments, Mike
Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/13/09 12:56 PM.
Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice Fortune depends on the tone of your voice
-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon) from the song "Songs of Love" from the album "Casanova" (1996)
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,049
Posts1,185,698
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|