|
7 members (KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, texritter, Guy E. Trepanier, Michael W. Brown, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
16,451
guests, and
5,511
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1 |
Big Jim Quote---
[i]The reason there are two camps is because lyric writers generally have no idea as to the amount of work that goes into writing music and recording a song in comparison to writing just lyrics.....[/i]
Jim… it’s those last three words that show the contempt that some musicians have for lyricists…. writing just lyrics….
It is no secret that lyrics can be penned in a matter of minutes.....many hit songs have been written on a bus.......big difference in writing music.
Sure the above is true in many cases.. BUT NOT OFTEN and NOT ALWAYS.
Sometimes a musicator has to almost rewrite the lyrics to get it to meter.
Sure in some case again, but other time the lyrics have been written so well that the music side is much easier to do.
Try to imagine some of the recent chart hits performed as a simple guitar/voc.....it just would not happen.....folk would laugh at the crap words and melody.
Those of us who pay to have music written and full blown demo’s made pay the price that is asked of us. We don’t complain if after 20 years 50 plus songs and many $10000s spent if our songs don’t make it. We carry on and we never blame the studio or musicians.
The studios / musicians or demo singers would never say, are well, YOUR SONGS never made it, have some money back. And I know at times the amounts are small but they add up.
I remember back in 1964 here in the UK paying £3000 for a demo cause that was the going rate at that time.
And never once has a studio given an opinion as to wether the song was good enough to demo or not. It's always been, "what you give us we will do", "and you pay the fee". Simple really.
Actually (I have had the opposite happen once) where the studio said, 'Roy, you have to have this done'.
We also generally pay in advance and what we get is what we get. So the only looser would be the lyric writer.
Sure it's a gamble and given that the odds of gettng anywhere are virtually nil, we normally own 100% of something that is worthless.
And we keep on doing it and paying studios, hoping that we beat the odds.
I note that lyricists defend an equal split despite knowing that musicians work is harder and more time consuming.....
The above is never set in stone, and anyway it has become the norm as AGREED for years.
If the amount of money that went through studios last year was added up, I suspect that 99% of it was from those who write lyrics and 100% of it went to musicians and studios. And it is big business. Us Lyric writers who take extra jobs to pay for demos, who work all day and then write all night don’t complain we carry on.
Sure tough lyrics require a lot of the composers time, that’s obvious, but great lyrics would be easier to work with.
I am sure that you yourself have said somewhere, ‘As soon as I read the lyrics, the tune came into my head’.
Anyway this is not a pop at anyone or their views.
I am so so thankful that for me, the studio I use has always created great music for me and that’s my opinion. But I paid for that service and should I be succesfull I would not expect to give them a percentage of the song, just as they would never give me any money back, that I have spent over the years on songs that don't make it... lol
Anyway that’s my views and I am sure some will agree with something’s that I have said.
God Bless Roy and Helen
'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,049
Posts1,185,698
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|