|
8 members (texritter, bennash, Raymond Byabazaire, Kay-lynn Carew, KyleCrawford, Everett Adams, Michael W. Brown, 1 invisible),
86,699
guests, and
5,638
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
Top 10 Poster
|
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275 |
Hmmm...OK, I'm Late to This Party..but...
I'd disagree with Polly that "Lyrics are 10% of a Song." I'd say the TITLE/CONCEPT is about 35-50% of the MARKETABILITY of ANY Song, and most-often it's The Lyricist who comes up with it.
AND...go-ahead & Name Me how many INSTRUMENTALS lately have been Hits???
AND...It's always some of the Greatest Singers...like Frank Sinatra..who always gave their Writers CREDIT...before singing those Great Ones.
As a Lyricist, I've always ALSO given Credit (& Rights) when-&-where Due. I DO have Melodies..IN-Head..when I pen a Lyic. BUT..since I play no instruments..I've nearly ALWAYS split a song 50-50 "Rights-Wise" with my Music Folk(s). AND paid the Going Studio-Hourly-Rate as-well. (Tho that 50-50 usually got my Studio Time DOWN to $25 an hour..back when I had the loot.)
And..we could usually get us a Singer, too...for about $25 an hour...if it was to be Gal-Sung..(I'd always enjoyed singing the Male Versions..still WOULD except I got No Studio these days TO record in..until I master a TEAC Rig a friend gave me.)
Anyways...SOMETIMES a Singer/Musician DOES take a Demo to Another Level...&...yep, I got No Aversion to slicing the Pie a Bit-Thinner when that Happens. When Robert Pickens added His Vox to "Let's Take The Time" a few months back, The 3 of us Writers added Him to The Credits. I'm pitchin' it to a CBS Exec today-tomorrow...PROUDLY..and Trust Me, 25% of a HIT is a lot more than ZERO-percent-RETURN on a Loser.
Would I, the Lyricist, work for LESS-than-25%? Sure..IF I believed in The SINGER, The MUSIC, and The Marketing..AND The "SPLIT" was a FAIR One.
AM I, the Lyricist, worth LESS than the MUSICOS & Singer?
ONLY if they all wanna HUMMMM a Whole Lot.
Best Wishes & Big 25%-&-Up Hugs Backatcha, Stan
Just HAD to post a "PS" here: Mark & Steve & Robert & My Demo..is on its way to Phil RAMONE in the next 2-3 weeks via my CBS Guy. (I have to make his 9" GE Oscr Fan work with some new gears I've found, in-the-meantime..heh!) STAY TUNED, Gents!
Last edited by "Tampa Stan" Good; 09/28/10 10:17 PM.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,063
Posts1,185,731
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|