|
7 members (bennash, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Guy E. Trepanier, 1 invisible),
61,162
guests, and
6,065
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Top 200 Poster
|
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554 |
Okay, here's the deal for anyone who wishes to participate. We have two sets of lyrics that we will talk through the thought process for creating a melody. The previous post has a Lyric by Big Jim Merrilees, and in this post is a poem by Eugene Field that was suggested by Sam Harris. I see these as two entirely different kinds of lyrics so we will approach both of them a little differently. I think we could work on them simultaneously so I will try to comment on one and then the other throughout in each of my posts, and I encourage others who participate to do the same. Here is another Eugene Field poem. I reworked it slightly to get rid of some dated words like "methinks". It is appropriate for this time of year. It is called "A Valentine". I just found it a few minutes ago. It might be a good challenge/excerise.
Your gran'ma, in her younger days, was just as beautiful as you And, though her hair is snowy white, Her eyes are still the deepest blue,
And on her checks, as fair as yours I think a girlish blush would glow If she recalled the valentine She got, ah! many years ago.
A handsome man loved gran'ma then, And wooed her in that auld lang syne; And first he told his secret when He sent her that first valentine,
No perfumed page nor sheet of gold Was that first hint of love he sent, But with the secret gran'pa told--- "I love you"---gran'ma was content.
Go, ask your gran'ma if you will, If---though her head be bowed and gray--- If---though her feeble pulse be chill--- Does love abide? Does true love stay?
There is a portrait on the wall, That smiles upon her from above, I think your gran'ma can recall The sweet divinity of love.
So I offer you no page of gold--- No sheet embossed with clever art--- But here 's a solemn pledge of old: "I love you, love, with all my heart."
And if in what I send you here You think love is not expressed, Go---go to gran'ma, my dear, And she will tell you all the rest!
Here is his original version: http://www.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/eugenefield/poems/poemsofchildhood/avalentine.html
Last edited by Jack Swain; 02/02/08 12:24 AM.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,071
Posts1,185,744
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|