|
7 members (Fdemetrio, bennash, texritter, Everett Adams, Michael W. Brown, 2 invisible),
50,657
guests, and
6,210
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,427 Likes: 16
Top 50 Poster
|
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,427 Likes: 16 |
Samuel,
That is part of the point. Even sad songs, usually have an uplifting melody counterpoint. This one doesn't. In my comments. I am trying to describe the surrounding elements, overused, worn out contrived songs are everywhere, a timeline or an era of a style of music that doesn't work any more, and elements of the marketplace.
As far as the song itself, I think that has been described pretty well here. Mostly that it is pretty average and of course when you start with a title of a post like "We tried to write the 4th saddest country song..." It invites some pretty serious critiques.
I often find that whenever someone says "I'm gonna play something you've never heard before" or "I bet you have never heard this..." or "This is the ..... song (you fill in the blank)" it is usually something extrodinarily average. That is the "Hype" issue Jim comes up with.
I remember these guys from earlier posts, probably the one Jim talked about a while back. I remember going to their site and listening to a few songs. It sounded like what I hear a lot with older writers (anyone past the age of 30) that they tend to cling to styles, language and sentaments that are long past, even if they ever really existed at all.
In many cases I can sit down with clients and determine where their interest in mainstream radio ended, because their songs sound just like that era. In their case and most people from that era (the 1970's-1980's) sound very much like the music of that time period.
It is why I suggest writers trying to stay up with the times (not the trends, those come and go and do no good to try to emulate anyway) try to write with younger people, specifically artists, so they can stay in touch with current styles and language.
This is what I think these guys would better spend their times doing instead of trying to get a different singer or spend much time or money on this song. Of course everyone has to do what they feel is right. It is their song and money.
But essentially I feel this is the equivilant of building a car that burns MORE gas, burns dirtier air and pollutes the world more,then trying to sell that to the current marketplace. You can do it, but it is probably not the best idea.
MAB
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,074
Posts1,185,768
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|