|
6 members (texritter, Everett Adams, Michael W. Brown, Gary E. Andrews, KyleCrawford, 1 invisible),
76,234
guests, and
5,919
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,776 Likes: 24
Top 50 Poster
|
OP
Top 50 Poster
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,776 Likes: 24 |
That's really good Michael. Everything sounds spot on. "Modern Classical"... My publisher just created a new genre for my new solos titled "Contemporary Classical". Sounds like we're on the less traveled road to success. Good luck with this gem. Best, John Hey thanks again, John. Yeah, I use NI's Kontakt for many of my sampled instruments, and its scripting engine lends itself perfectly towards the kind of post-minimal/rhythmically driven music that I have been attracted to, ever since I first heard Steve Reich's "Music For 18 Musicians" back in the late seventies. I still write "longhand" like you, but for me that's strictly onto the piano roll. Linear composition is still the only way to flesh out melodic/harmonic ideas that might come to a composer like you or I. Mostly though I create "sonic situations" using various softwares, that can transform one set of information into another--such as converting a picture, say, of an aurora borealis, and converting that to midi information, then doling that info out amongst several instruments. Doing stuff like that is where my heart has been lately. It really connects me up to my "inner child" -- as crazy as that sounds. It's cuz I really don't know what I'm gonna get, before hand, and the element of surprise is always fun to have, in the compositional process. I also realize that "making one choice, then another" is all that composition or art in general, is really about. When I am "composing" in this modern way, I am basically just listening to something, and saying either "yes" or "no" --iow using it or tossing it. After going through hundreds of prospects, I will choose the one that has the most potential for further work. Oft times, there will be things going on that I could NEVER have thought of, without having made allowances for "experimenting" --and so, I am happy with my process! As you should be with yours. Process seems to come from a deeper place. Folks could pay more attention to the "how" of their work, and grow leaps and bounds, in THAT process, I think! Oh jeez, have I just derailed my own thread? haha...thanks again, John.  Mike
Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 05/15/12 05:10 PM.
Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice Fortune depends on the tone of your voice
-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon) from the song "Songs of Love" from the album "Casanova" (1996)
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,067
Posts1,185,738
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"Sometimes reaching a goal earlier than planned is a great achievement. It shows you have worked hard, pushed ahead and made it happen. However, sometimes reaching a goal far past your original deadline, long after you wanted to complete it, and after the accolades you might once have gotten for the achievement are over, it is an even greater achievement. This shows you never gave up, due to adversity, deficit, criticism and those little life detours that end many dreams and goals. In many ways, this is a reason for even more pride!" -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|