Dave,

Though I haven't thrown my 2 cents in here anywhere, and usually do not with such topics, you make a good summary of this discussion and demonstrate how we the US as primarily a Christian Nation have created a State with the backbone of our laws based on the ten commandments--generally speaking when it comes to civil obedience. I do however, disagree that this topic has run it's course, it could go on indefinitely actually being a current event and ongoing phenomenon. People will have different view points, some more radical than others, some perhaps narrow minded, and some exceedingly liberal, some astute, others ridiculous, whatever. Isn't that what make interesting forums? JPF has plenty of "music" forums, no one has to come here.

God help us NOT to ever engage in Nuclear War for sure IMO, as that could destroy the world's commerce which could make every nation's economic struggles rely on "survival of the fittest mentality." (not to mention the loss of lives/physical damage/ residual health issues) People are "greedy" in good times, imagine bad times?

Our world's problems IMO, will need to be tackled by the leader's of our times with very "cool" and practical mind-sets--not sure that's possible however. But if all countries/States/Republics begin building a "New World Federation" that has some real teeth, to integrate, regulate, monitor the world's commerce in such a way that every country can have hope for "reasonable" prosperity, ie. a working ecomomy/food/shelter/clothing/education for all, we may someday be an "Earth Federation" of countries--united, yet culturally independent. I'm not describing a "Utopia," that's where everything is perfect. We need to internationally educate the YOUTH of the world to respect and better understand each other's cultures and rid us of our indifferences with religion, as that personal part of our lives needs to be just that personal. No culture will be permitted to "brainwash" their children to hate such is now the case, else severe consequences will ensue.

JFK said in a speech directed in view of the Civil Rights movement--but applies here:

"We all breath the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal; when power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations."

Or like John Lennon said: "Imagine."

One more thing, Everett, I am certainly NO atheist, but I'm not sure I agree with you that Atheist's are a religion. To have "faith," you have to believe in proposed idea/religion/person/God. Though you could argue that both religion and atheism are philosophies, one is based on believing in "nothing" when it comes to a God, so it's based on "lack of faith" IMO.

Though it could be surmised that I'm just an "idealist," with an unrealistic solution to world's "terrorist" concerns, I don't think so; we have to aggressively combat this horrific animal unilaterally at every opportunity, but for a world to have peace long term, I believe it will have to be eventually need to be Federated, with a very strong inherent organization to never allow that power within the framework to be controlled by any one entity. Hopefully we don't destroy ourselves before common sense and compassion for one another can be achieved. It may require a plan with graduated steps over the period of many years, but even if it takes a century, it may be our salvation as a planet. "Like Barry said, religion cannot be part of the solution."

steady-eddie.