Everett,

Here's the way I look at it. A songwriter's chances of getting a major cut are very, very small to begin with. First, you need to have an exceptional song...not only an exceptional song, but one that fits what the major labels are seeking...you need that or nothing else matters. Then, doing all these things such as making a good demo, cowriting with established writers, making contacts etc. just increase your chances of getting that song cut. The way I see it, it is like playing the lottery. First you need to buy a ticket to have any chance at all. Then you need to buy more tickets to have a bigger chance.

Doing all these things, demos, cowriting and such, probably does not increase your chances that much. I'll say that again. Doing all these things probably does not increase your chances that much. If you buy two tickets, in my example, your chances may double, but still the chances are very small. Doing all these things may double, triple, quadruple, maybe even up your chances by 1,000%, but still your chances are very small.

But, if you don't buy the ticket...if you don't have the exceptional song that fits what the gatekeepers want...your chances are zero.

That's, IMO, where people need to focus their attention first. The rest of these arguments are less important. If you catch the ear of a major gatekeeper, they'll hook you up with cowriters, help you find a good demo producer, promote you. Then you can decide whether or not you want to increase your chances.

Ray, if your publisher called you and said some famous artist wanted to cowrite with you and he would do a high dollar demo if the song suited him, would you say "No?" I wouldn't. Everyone should keep doing things the way that makes them comfortable and focus on good songs. Once the songs are cutting through the business like a hot knife through butter, then it's time to make these decisions.

Here's a question for eveyone. If you're on tour, are you better buying your own private jet, or leasing one?


You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music