Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
|
OP
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997 |
Hi Karen Thanks for taking the time and offering some solid suggestions. I like the removal of "like" on the second verse....reads nicer for sure. I wouldn't change "Waiting on someday" for "I wait on someday" Doesn't sing/sound anywhere near as nicely to me... In the chorus everyone loves the descending singing on the word "be-li-e- eve" to add the word "Really" would kill that totally. I'd never do that for a grammar thing  It was crazy, I had three songwriters in here with me one night while doing the vocals ( various age ranges 19 -22 - 40) and I bounced every single thing off them to come to this conclusion. We were like, "that reads better, but that sings better, that is much catchier than that" Oh but you wouldn't say it like that" Doesn't that pause feel funny"? etc... lol I originally had the last chorus line doubled and then opted to shorten it. It's nuts I ran it past 4 people as well... I rely mainly on a non songwriter friend/producer when I do this. That really helps. Many of my rhythms/phrasings stem from much much older pop & R&B pop style songs. There's in many cases a school from which these things come from... If you are familiar with lots of songs from acts like The Spinners, Harold Melvin Blue Notes, The Stylistics, etc.. this vibe would feel even more comfortable. Sometimes it's LA/Babyface or Michael or Stevie whatever.. Mix that with the massive rock and other influences and forget about it lol Thanks so much I so appreciate your input on it, wish I had it earlier too  Mike
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,087
Posts1,185,787
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|