I learned a great idea while studying physiology in college. If your first meal of the day contains a high serving of bran it will literally purge your digestive tract. My proffessor decribed it as decreasing residents time for the previous day's meals. Being in your system shorter means less absorption time. Whenever I diet(Jan 1 usually) I always have bran flakes with fruit and skim milk for breakfast. Not only do I fill up on a very low calorie meal, I manage to purge whatever high calorie food I had eaten the previous day. Also I am less hungry at lunch. I keep a good supply of fresh fruits and vegitables available so when I'm hungry I can fill up on nutritious almost no calorie foods. A large salad with low calorie Itailian dressing is one of my staples. I've also learned to pay attention to the amount of fat grams listed on labels. Limiting these is key. Your body has to burn calories in order to convert starch or sugar to fat. If you eat fats they are ready to be stored. You can't cut fat entirely though. Your body will sense the deficit and withhold fat that you already have. So choose something you like with just a few grams of fat in it and eat it sparingly on a daily basis.
I reciently heard a theory that varying your daily caloric intake works well. If your body senses you are getting the same small amount of fuel each day it may go into preservation mode and hold energy in the form of fat as a survival mechanism. I haven't tried that one yet but the person who recomended it has lost wieght and regained it several times in the last few years.

Most important thing.

Eat your Wheaties!