|
6 members (texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Sunset Poet, Everett Adams, KyleCrawford, 1 invisible),
16,955
guests, and
5,556
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,096
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,096 |
Originally posted by Sammy: The only ones I've downloaded are ones that couldn't be streamed and then I retained them just long enough to hear them once or twice to decide whether I liked them and then deleted them. And, as far as I can remember, these were all by independent artists who encouraged this so that people could hear what they sound like.
No need to delete them, if you don't want to. If indy artists put up their music for downloading, help yourself. That's why its there.
Now my point: How does anyone find out about new music and artists? 30 years ago, radio was that source because the stations then played a wide variety of music and artists. Radio today is boring and monotonous, playing the same 20 to 30 songs over and over and over . . .
I feel some form of internet sampling is needed because of this deficiency in modern radio programming.
This is a great point and one I think the record companies and the artists are going to have to address. However, until the majors decide to give away "free samples" it is just as wrong to steal a recording as it is to steal a candy bar just to get a "sample" of it.
As to the state of today's radio, I must assume either you are too young to know what radio was like 30 years ago, or that you have a poor memory. While it is true that top-40, pop radio is amazingly repetitious, I can assure you that the variety available on contemporary radio is enormously larger than it was 30 years ago.
.
[This message has been edited by TrumanCoyote (edited 09-15-2003).]
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,050
Posts1,185,699
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|