Bob,

Thanks for actually arguing your point. You made a lot of good arguments, but your post can be correct, and mine at the same time. Just as you suggest that file sharing isn't the sole reason for the problems, (which I agree with fully) you need to also acknowledge that file sharing has taken a situation in peril and made it terminal. A point I didn't make was that not only do all the issues exist as I have described them (and you as well) we have also successfully trained/taught and shown by example, that music has no financial value, even though it's actual value to society has probably never been higher. File sharing engrains that idea deeper and deeper into the societal fabric. To not defend and work to prove this thought process wrong is similar to someone who doesn't defend their trademark.. the law is that if you do not attempt to defend and protect your trademark when people violate it, you have, in essense, given up your right to it. I feel the same is true with protecting the value of copyrights. If we don't even attempt to protect it, we forfeit the rights to them.

As for the regular comments made that albums today only have a couple good songs and the rest suck.. that has ALWAYS been the case.. what music have you guys been listening to for the last 40 years? Sure, in every generation there are albums good start to finish.. but if you pull all the top singles from each of the last 40 years and find the corresponding albums they match up to.. in most cases, there are horrendously bad songs on them to fill the album out. This isn't a new phenomena. The reason it SEEMS new is that we ONLY are exposed to the hits today.. so we think if something hasn't gotten airplay on the album, it must suck. I think that entire believe is weak and misplaced.. the quality of albums from start to finish across all genres is no better or worse today than it ever was.

I do want to say I appreciate an argument for once that is on topic and not a political or personal attack.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney