Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what can small time artists do to prepare themselves for this economic fact?</font>


- write good stuff
- be genuine, so that your fans are loyal
- be appreciative
- use songs as a means to an end

...and accept the fact that even then, some people will copy your music without paying you.

Actually, that next-to-last point is important. Too often we focus on what happens to the song, i.e. the product. I think it should be the other way around. YOU are the product, the entertainer, the complete package. Songs are your promo tool, your calling cards. You might say "I want to make a living from my songs." More power to you, but songs can and will be stolen, P2P or otherwise. But if you say "I want to make a living as an entertainer" -- how can anyone download and burn that?

(To paraphrase David Geffen: I'm not in the music business. I'm in the Scott Andrew LePera business.)

Personally? I think the current filesharing controversy is overblown and eventually an equilibrium will be reached (just as was with cassettes, VHS taping, etc). But I DO think that in the near future, the monetary value of music will plumment as labels struggle to offer cheaper alternatives. The days of making big bucks (or maybe ANY bucks!) through CD sales will be over.

(IMO, worrying about filesharing losses takes energy away from other potential money-making activities: building a following, getting gigs, writing, rehearsing, designing t-shirts, etc.)

[This message has been edited by scottandrew (edited 09-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by scottandrew (edited 09-15-2003).]