|
7 members (texritter, bennash, Michael W. Brown, CTthomas, Guy E. Trepanier, KyleCrawford, 1 invisible),
44,386
guests, and
5,509
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/29/26 02:00 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 340
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 340 |
Brian, by definition a "Utopian" society is not possible, I agree. The concept borders on being an oxymoron or, at least, a paradox. But I'm not speaking of such a state. Forgive me if I quote the Bible (especially since I am not affiliated with the Christian or any other religion) but I don't believe Jesus was being hypothetical when he was reported to have said, "Love your enemies and do good to those who hurt you". I don't believe he was some kind of idealist speaking of some kind of "Utopia" but simply speaking of how we might best be in tune with the way things actually are. The point I was trying to make is that "ownership" is, truly, an illusion. Now let me be the first to admit that if someone was to take away "my" studio equipment while I sleep tonight I would find it incredibly hard to deal with. I'm sure I would go through many emotions and I'm sure that anger would be one of those emotions. In that sense I am being hypocritical in what I'm saying. I am as "attached" to my "Possessions" as the next guy. The dichotomy for me is that, as attached as I am to "things" I am equally aware - on another level - of the illusion of that attachment. Buddhism teaches us that all suffering stems from attachment. Christ said pretty much the same thing. Were they both some kind of "starry-eyed" individuals with no roots in "reality"? I admit, here and now, my hypocracy (sp). I'm a zillion light years away from the second-closest universe to enlightenment. But I know there is such a thing. And, in my idiotic and misguided way, I seek it ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) I just realised that I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make. I'm not really trying to take one side or another in this debate. Perhaps I'm just not a very "Practical" person? Maybe it's just that I'm tired and have had a few beers? (there... let THAT prejudice your perspective of my words LOL) The universe is a BIG place. Eternity is a LONG time. I think sometimes we tend to get hung up on the small stuff. Human laws come and go. "Possessions" come and go. Wars, nations, tribes, political systems, religious dogma come and go. The songs I write come and go in a blink. My shiny new car (that I feel so "cool" driving in with the sunroof open and George Benson comping in) has come and will go. We can all get righteous about laws and rights and possessions and all that.. as people have done since the lost depths of history.. or we can, simply, let go and give thanks for the wonderful process we call "life". The pleasures and the pains - the losses and the gains.. it's all about perspective ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Soooo.. ummm.. about file sharing and all that (since that was the original context of the thread, I think?) It can't be fixed through laws or technology.. anarchy has crept in and all that remains to be seen is whether that anarchy will prove, ultimately, to be benelovent or malignant. Perhaps the answer to that starts, and ends, with our Selves?
Life is exactly what we decide it is in any given moment
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,053
Posts1,185,707
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|