Assuming there's no argument that P2P sharing of copyrighted recorded songs is illegal, it seems to break down to these schools of thought.
1. It's illegal and it shouldn't be. Therefore, we: a. Work legally to change the copyright laws. b. Participate in civil disobedience as a political tool. c. Do nothing. d. Simply break the law to get the free music.

2. It's illegal, and it should be, but the laws need change. Therefore, we: a. Work to change them. B. Do nothing.

3. It's illegal and the laws are good. Therefore, we: a. Work to protect these laws. b. Do nothing.

We already have two threads representing the basic ideas. I'd recommend we use this forum to work for, as well as argue for, our points of view.

Here's my point of view. I'm for finding a way to pay the piper. The musician, songwriter, and music business isn't the enemy. The enemy isn't us. Downloading isn't paying us yet, too many people use downloading to get free music and that cuts into our old ways of making the little revenue we could squeeze out of the music business. Along comes the new technological revolution and it greedily attacks the music business...pretty effectively too, I've heard reports from 15% to 35% losses.

So educate me. Are the laws as currently written, good? What do we need to change and what do we have to do to change them?

Mike




------------------
Mike Dunbar Music


You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music